Added Exercise Calories?

Options
I have a lot of weight to lose yet and was wondering if you should or shouldnt eat the extra calories you earn when exercising?

Replies

• kingnatalie
    Options
    Eat them, mfp already has you on a calorie deficit to lose weight without working out. You will need the energy and nutrients from these foods to fuel your body for the workout.
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    I agree, I always eat them, you don't want to be too low either. Your body needs those extra calories to restore glycogen levels/replenish muscles/re-energize...if you're too low in cals (like by not eating the added cals given with exercising), your body may hold onto the weight. However, I don't stress if, for example, I burn 600 calories and, with filling meals, am still under by 100...I just try and be close to it. :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Eat them, and enjoy! You're already feeding your body less than it wants, you don't want to create too big of a deficit or you'll never stick it out.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Eat them. I don't eat all of them though, usually around 1/2. I would try to eat them all and see what happens. It also depends on what your everyday calorie goal is as well though. I keep mine at 1600, so eating 1/2 puts me at 1900 or so. If you consume 1200 (which I wouldn't advise), you're going to need most if not all of those calories.
  • megzzwins
    Options
    I usually eat about half of them.. If I burn 600 I will usually eat about 200 on a bar before I work out to give me energy to work out :-)
  • mom020305
    Options
    I agree, eat them! I also was following the biggest loser online diet and it did not add your calories burned back in and had me at a 1200 cal diet (which based upon a professionals . For the past 2 weeks I actually gained 3 lbs! So I came back to MFP and I am eager to step on the scale Friday! Not sure when I was ever eager to get on a scale LOL
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Eat them. Just eat them.

See the post from Banks that I have in my signature. It's one of the most straight-forward, no-nonsense, easy-to-understand walk-throughs around. If you're still unsure, check the sticky posts under General Diet & Weight Loss. Those posts will talk what-to-eat until you're blue in the face, lol :smile:
  • freeflower3
    freeflower3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm eating them. If I stop losing, I will re-assess.