50 pounds down. (w/ pics)

Options
I was a swimmer as a kid and all the way through high school and was always able to eat whatever I wanted without consequence. When I left high school, I stopped swimming but never stopped the eating. To say the least, I got big over the past 15 years. 311 pounds big. I saw a picture of myself back in June where I was lying on the couch holding my 3 year old daughter and I swear it looked like Jabba the Hut holding the leash of Princess Leia and I knew I needed to do something. I posted on Facebook looking to see if anyone else felt inclined to attack the weight with me and 11 people later, we had formed the Facebook Festival of Fervent Fat Forfeiture group. Everybody tossed $25 in a pot and on July 9th we got rolling. Today, I crossed the 50 pound mark and since this forum has been a great inspiration to me, I wanted to post my progress and hopefully help someone else the way the before and after threads have helped motivate me. I have been riding around 75 miles a week on my bike and counting calories. I eat back exercise calories although not all of them just because I'm not super confident in the estimations. :-) Anyway, on to the before and after.

Before 310.8 pounds.

523278_4255620222437_439798219_n.jpg

Midway through now at 260 pounds

541215_4255703584521_1193866701_n.jpg
487407_4255706224587_23280778_n.jpg

Replies

• kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a difference! You are looking great, keep up the good work! :)
  • samarlow
    samarlow Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    50 pounds is awesome. You look great. Keep up the hard work!
  • llmcconnell
    llmcconnell Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    such a difference, congrats!! I've been thinking about starting a weight loss/health gain club at my work (i would estimate about 1/2 of the support staff are overweight) and starting a money pot to give away at the end (because money is big motivator) but not really sure of the logistics (how do you make it for fair for a person who wants to lose 20 pounds and person who wants to lose 120 pounds)..
  • DonnaAnn64
    DonnaAnn64 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    what an accomplishment...you look amazing ..Congrats!!!
  • sarahdarlinton
    sarahdarlinton Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, u look great! I just started, and this is motivating, i need to be patient and consistent and stay on track to see results like you! Thanks for posting and keep up the good work!
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! way to go!
  • TabathaAnn8
    Options
    such a difference, congrats!! I've been thinking about starting a weight loss/health gain club at my work (i would estimate about 1/2 of the support staff are overweight) and starting a money pot to give away at the end (because money is big motivator) but not really sure of the logistics (how do you make it for fair for a person who wants to lose 20 pounds and person who wants to lose 120 pounds)..

Do it by percentage lost like they do on the biggest loser. We did this at my work a long time ago and it was a great motivator!
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    11 people later, we had formed the Facebook Festival of Fervent Fat Forfeiture group. Everybody tossed $25 in a pot and on July 9th we got rolling.

BUT WHAT HAPPENED TO THE $25?!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Looking great!
  • llmcconnell
    llmcconnell Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Do it by percentage lost like they do on the biggest loser. We did this at my work a long time ago and it was a great motivator!
    [/quote]

hmm, I thought about this, but it still seems like it wouldn't be fair because what if I only wanted to lose 20% and another person wants to lose 50% and we both meet our goals at the end? I realize that it's never going to be completely fair but I'm just trying to figure out a way in which people can compete with very different goals, maybe a tier would be good. Anyways, thanks for your response!
  • Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    What a great accomplishment!!! Congrats! you look great!
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you're doing great :)
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    wow! You can really see the difference!
  • evie123ba
    evie123ba Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    O my gosh the face change is unbelievable, great job!
  • Mrgruntysmom
    Options
    Congrats to you! What a big difference! :smile:
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Rock on! Solid work!!! Huge changes.
  • PaulBSussex
    PaulBSussex Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What a change, great effort. I keep thinking on these threads of the difference on the outside but the change on the inside and in the head is even more impressive we just can't see it
  • bpointer01
    Options
    11 people later, we had formed the Facebook Festival of Fervent Fat Forfeiture group. Everybody tossed $25 in a pot and on July 9th we got rolling.

BUT WHAT HAPPENED TO THE $25?!

The contest is still going. We end up the weekend before Thanksgiving. I am currently in 2nd place but I have been hawking down the girl in the lead and I am less than 1% away and my average % loss per week has been better than hers for most of the contest. She posted a huge first weigh in and I've been chasing ever since.
  • bpointer01
    Options

[/quote]

hmm, I thought about this, but it still seems like it wouldn't be fair because what if I only wanted to lose 20% and another person wants to lose 50% and we both meet our goals at the end? I realize that it's never going to be completely fair but I'm just trying to figure out a way in which people can compete with very different goals, maybe a tier would be good. Anyways, thanks for your response!
    [/quote]

Percentage is how we are running it and I would say that unless it is a really long contest, the 20% versus 50% thing won't come into play. We are 12 weeks in now and the leaders are only up around the 15% mark with 7 weeks to go. We will probably get to the 20% or so range by the time everything wraps up but out of 11 people, we only ended up with 4 that are even above 10% by now.
  • DonnaAnn64
    DonnaAnn64 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Congrats..great progress !! You look awesome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!