Advice from you runners out there, please!

Options
I have my first 5k race coming up on Sunday. I did a 20 minute training run tonight to work on pace. Should I do any training runs on Friday or Saturday? Or should I take a couple of rest days before the race?

Replies

• RunXstrong
    Options
    Take the days off. If you are nervous and want to release some energy, then get your gear on and go out and run a LITTLE, and maybe even run some short fast bursts to release some energy and remind yourself of all the power you have developed in training, but don't run very far. Less is better.
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I agree that rest is good but for me personally I need to keep my legs "warm" so I go do some walking or a short run. Good luck!!!
  • samarlow
    samarlow Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. My best advice is listen to your body. Good luck on your 5K!
  • CassieLOL
    CassieLOL Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely take Saturday off! Friday would depend on how sore your muscles feel that day; if they're really sore it won't hurt you to take another day off, and if they aren't so bad i'd do a light run or just walking for a bit. (:
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Rest. Have a wonderful time at your race!
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    Take saturday off for sure. Good luck on the upcoming 5k!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Depending on your activity level, you could probably get away with running Friday or Saturday. I tend not to run two days in a row so my body can recover, but I do run every other day. If you're fairly active, you'll be fine. if you've been mostly sedentary and are just not getting active, be careful not to hurt yourself.

Really though, for most people running three miles isn't a huge strain on their body. It's not like after running a marathon where you need to take a few days to recover. Just listen to your body and judge what is best for you.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    As much as I would like to run every day, I "make" myself take rest days so my body can rest and my muscles can repair. I ALWAYS take the day off before a race. At the race site, I will stretch and run a very little bit to loosen and warm up. Have FUN and GOOD LUCK to you!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like taking 2 days off before a race. Maybe go for a walk or hike, or a very short run at most. Rest and enjoy the race. It's your first, so no matter what, you'll be setting a PR! And you can take what you learn from this one - whether two days rest is a good thing for YOU, for instance - into your next race.
  • gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to have fun!! It's totally worth it!
  • angela1700
    angela1700 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am so excited I can't even stand it! :-)
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Well it's your first 5k, so for now it's probably good to rest it up a couple days....I'm running a 5k on Saturday and plan on running 5-6 miles on Friday.

part of that run will be the 5k course though....want to see if I can't set a PR in this 5k.....my personal best in that distance is 27:21....but 28:01 for a 5k race....so I want to see if I can crush that :)