For those over 60, feedback please on Shingles virus

Options
There isn't a place to post "general health" chit chat so I picked here. I saw online this a.m. another person talking about Shingles and the vaccine for it. I am just wondering what other my age are thinking or doing about this? Do you think it is wise to get the vaccine or do you feel it is another unnecessary panic and way for someone to make money off us?

I am not 60 yet but I would really like to know what the people here think because mfp has the most health conscious people of any other place I know of on the net.

denise:drinker: :bigsmile:
PS anyone under 60 is welcome to reply as well, especially if they have some first or second-hand info on shingles;) Well, that doesn't sound right on an open forum, ALL are welcome, :laugh:

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and my doctor just offered me the vaccine but I declined for now. I may reconsider later.
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I'm always highly suspicious of these vaccines, the cynic in me maybe. But it has always been my understanding that if you have ever had chicken pox, you already have the latent shingles virus lying dormant in your body, so I'm not sure how you can vaccinate against something you already have?

I've had shingles a couple of times, it can be uncomfortable, but unless it gets on your face or close to your eyes, it's pretty manageable. I'd probably give the vaccine a pass...
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm always highly suspicious of these vaccines, the cynic in me maybe. But it has always been my understanding that if you have ever had chicken pox, you already have the latent shingles virus lying dormant in your body, so I'm not sure how you can vaccinate against something you already have?

I've had shingles a couple of times, it can be uncomfortable, but unless it gets on your face or close to your eyes, it's pretty manageable. I'd probably give the vaccine a pass...

I agree, I've had shingles and I remember my grandfather getting shingles. They are manageable. They say you usually get them on your trunk area, but mine were on the outside of my arm. I don't agree with all the vaccines, I think your body works through things pretty good if you eat right, exercise etc. I'm usually better off with out medicines.
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options

i believe the chicken pox virus lays dormant in the base of your spin so i agree seems little point in a vaccine
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    PLEASE get the shot. I had shingles a year ago, and believe me , I would not wish it on my worst enemy! There is no pain I've ever had that compares to it. I've had both knees and both hips replaced and have given birth, - there is nothing like what I felt with shingles. Mine was just about shoulder blade level, but down enough I couldn't reach. I had hubby put pain cream on it, I took advil, motrin, etc, used a heating pad and was in tears most of the time. The pain came and went. Of course it was the strongest over a weekend, but finally had hubby take me to the ER. Would you believe they had no idea what it was. Gave me a pain shot, some pain pills and sent me home with orders to see my primary dr. When i saw him, I told him that I couldn't even have a sheet touching my arm at night. He told me he knew right then what it was - he'd had it. Shingles. - I was lucky not to have had a rash. So, please, Like I said I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Get the shot if you can. It attacks the nerves which is why it hurts. Manageable - I have a high pain threshold according to my surgical dr, and this was pain I do not want again. Maybe if I had broken out with the rash it would have been less painful, but I didn't.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'm not over 60, but would recommend the vaccine. I've had a few family members suffer terribly with shingles in the pre-vaccine days and you do NOT want to go through that.

My mom is over 60 and gets the vaccine. Still hasn't gotten shingles.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It's recommended for the elderly or immunocomprised people. It can reduce the risk of getting shingles, the severity of symptoms and prevent post herpatic neuralgia (nerve damage).

At one time I was immunocomprised due to stroke and had shingles 3 times in 3 years. My dr. recommends the shot for me now. I wouldn't worry about getting it if I'd never had shingles.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 but I've had shingles three times in my life. Once in my early 20s, again in my late 20s and the last time in my mid-30s. I actually plan to ask my doctor if I am at all eligible for this vaccine. I've had it in my back, running along the nerves into my chest. I've had it along my stomach and the last time I had it in my finger. The first two times there was nothing to relieve it except Tylenol 4s and I was in so much pain even with the medication. The last time I caught it really early, saw the doc and learned there was a new med you can take which will lessen the pain and the length of the episode. It was much more manageable but it was still very painful and it was painful for months as I would get residual shooting pain through the nerves in my hand.

The vaccine is FOR those who have had chicken pox because it stops the virus (which stays dormant in your system) from becoming shingles. Not everyone will have it turn into shingles but as you age, the chance is greater.

My grandmother had it in her eye and my dad has had it three or four times, the most painful in his chest and on his face.

I guess it all depends on how you feel about vaccines and the possibility of getting shingles as you get older.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I had shingles last year, at about age 57.5. I guess there's shingles and then SHINGLES, and I must've had the first kind ... unpleasant, but no big deal, really. I, too, am a little skeptical of the automatic get-a-vaccination response to everything (t seems like).

Just one person's reaction. Maybe if I'd had a more severe set of shingles, I'd say differently -- but I didn't.
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am over 60 and did get the vaccine. My MIL had shingles. It was very painful, she almost lost her sight, and the medicine the doctor gave her for it had serious and permanent side effects. The downside is that the site where I got the injection hurt for a week and it was expensive and not covered by our medical insurance. I know people younger than I am who've gotten shingles and I think now they let people in their 50s get the vaccine. We also had to get on a waiting list because there was (is?) a shortage.
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My husband had shingles this summer and let me tell you, you do not want to get them ever. They are horrible. If you suspect you have them , get to a doc immediately. They can prescribe an antiviral but it should be taken as early in the course as possible.
    I am going to ask my doc if I can get the vaccine at my next appointment.
  • Chris_2013
    Chris_2013 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've had it twice. First time nasty and second time mild but I knew what it was very early and got on some meds. II just asked my Doctor 2 days ago about the vaccine and he doesn't reccommend it and says its very ineffective based on his experience with his patients.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I give the Shingles vaccine here at work. (Zostavax). I will be getting it when I am due. It is supposed to greatly lower the nerve pain associated with Shingles if you do get Shingles. Worth it IMO.
  • donnakcraig
    donnakcraig Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    if you can afford it...take it. the problem is shingles come at the worst time in your life. when a love one is taken, or very ill or when you are very ill. all this happens in a blink of an eye. for me I got them when my husband had cancer surgery. I had to work anyway. no fun! even if money is not an issue, you don't want to suffer with them while trying to be strong for someone you love or when you are taken ill or in a car accident. we just never know and why not prevent it if you can.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm not 60 but I got the shingles while I was pregnant, just above my left breast and left armpit. It was really annoying but cleared up in 10 days. Unlike another poster i would not say that it hurts more than giving birth. I gave birth 2 weeks after having the shingles and the shingles was nowhere near as painful as giving birth.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    PLEASE get the shot. I had shingles a year ago, and believe me , I would not wish it on my worst enemy! There is no pain I've ever had that compares to it. I've had both knees and both hips replaced and have given birth, - there is nothing like what I felt with shingles. Mine was just about shoulder blade level, but down enough I couldn't reach. I had hubby put pain cream on it, I took advil, motrin, etc, used a heating pad and was in tears most of the time. The pain came and went. Of course it was the strongest over a weekend, but finally had hubby take me to the ER. Would you believe they had no idea what it was. Gave me a pain shot, some pain pills and sent me home with orders to see my primary dr. When i saw him, I told him that I couldn't even have a sheet touching my arm at night. He told me he knew right then what it was - he'd had it. Shingles. - I was lucky not to have had a rash. So, please, Like I said I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Get the shot if you can. It attacks the nerves which is why it hurts. Manageable - I have a high pain threshold according to my surgical dr, and this was pain I do not want again. Maybe if I had broken out with the rash it would have been less painful, but I didn't.

Did the affected area feel like it was on fire?
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The vaccine contains live virus. Not only could it make you sick, but it could also shed and make others around you sick soon after your injection. The injection can also compromise your immune system, making you susceptible to catching other things while you recover from the shot. It is possible that you could still end up with singles even after receiving the shot.

You're better off staying as healthy as possible, so that your body can fight off anything that comes at it. We are so careful about what we eat, but then we inject ourselves with toxic things in the name of health.

From the package insert:
    What are the ingredients of ZOSTAVAX?
    Active Ingredient: a weakened form of the varicella-zoster virus.
    Inactive Ingredients: sucrose, hydrolyzed porcine gelatin (gelatin made from pigs), sodium chloride, monosodium L-glutamate,
    sodium phosphate dibasic, potassium phosphate monobasic, potassium chloride.

Of course, you should make the decision about what is best for you and decide which set of risks you are most comfortable with.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I had shingles when I was five, you can get it at any age. The reason people around 60 are singled out for the vaccine is they are less likely to be around children and reminded of their immunity to Chicken Pox. If you have complete immunity and your body is reminded it is immune, your risk of shingles is low.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am overwhelmed with all the responses, and so grateful to every, one of you!

Based on what I've read, I tend to agree with staying as fit and healthy as I can to build my immune system. I felt as many of you do when I heard about the vaccine, just another drug or toxic substance. I would rather take my chances with medicine "if" I ever get shingles. I don't blame any of you that choose to get the vaccine either it's just that I felt right away I would not go for it when I saw the cost. Not just the financial but I really thank the person that had the info on what is in the vaccine,

Denise
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would describe it as fire, but I knew the sheet on my arm at night "stung" so maybe you could say it did. The least bit of pressure would sting.

Those of you who opt NOT to get the vaccine? I hope you never get shingles. I know each case is different. The ads on tv are real. I had a slight case of chickenpox and was told I could probably get it again. I didn't. Think of the polio shots, and what is in them, do you still get the shot? Of course. What do you think are in vaccines? And being healthy and fit? It doesn't stop you from getting a cold, does it? Healthy and fit is not 100% guarantee you will never get sick - quit fooling yourselves.