Anti-Reflux Diet?

Options
I just got back from the doctor, and am having gall bladder issues, he things. For now, they're calling it GERD and I'm supposed to be on an anti-reflux diet. However, the doctor was very vague on what I should and should not have. I'm lactose intolerant, so dairy products are pretty much out anyway.

Anyone have some suggestions on filling foods that won't leave me miserable?

Replies

• CheekyRunner
    CheekyRunner Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sorry no food suggestions here but I can say when I dropped 15 pounds (went from 206 to 191) all my reflux issues went away. Don't you just love it when you doctor tells you, you should be doing XYZ but doesn't tell you what you should be doing to get there.:grumble:
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Yea they said that to me too and I never had acid reflux issues before in my LIFE! Finally got the test to prove what was up with my gallbladder and when they removed it the surgeon said probably one more month and it would have burst! Follow your instincts and if it is really bothering you keep pushing for a fix. I was getting so sick I thought I was going to pass out. I was pretty bad off most days.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My biggest reflux avoidance technique is not overeating. I can eat spaghetti, Mexican food, whatever. But I have to limit my portion size to a reasonable amount, and try to be upright for a couple hours after I eat. I also take medication but honestly I was still having major reflux problems due to my overly full tummy.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I was on prescription reflux pills for a few years they worked great. Once I dropped the first 30 pounds I went off them and have had only one day in months and months that I had any heartburn. I can eat hot peppers, tomatoes, oranges nothing seems to give me heart burn anymore.
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    fatty foods (especially fried/deep fried) and fizzy drinks would be the main culprits tbh, oh and also spicy foods.
  • eandrsmom
    eandrsmom Posts: 119
    Options
    Smaller portions and more frequent meals did wonders for me!!!! Also, if it keeps you up at night, avoid eating within about three hours of bedtime.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    If the gall bladder is really bothering you keep pushing to have it looked at. My doc put me off for nearly 20 years, because I never had gallstones according to them ultrasounds. I was in so much pain at the end I finally said I need this thing dealt with. Low and behold they have a nuclear medicine test to see if one's gall bladder is function properly. Mine was functioning at 10%. I got a call next day with a surgery appointment. I asked the surgeon if the pain would be gone with the removal of my gall bladder. He said maybe, but not likely. I use to have pain only occasionally on my back. Last 5 years it moved to my right side and pretty much all the time. Well, that's the pain I still have. Right side all the time. Had the removed it even 10 years ago I'd be in less pain.

Only comforting thing is I know it's not going to burst at some random time since it's gone.
  • arock1000
    arock1000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any stones on ultrasound either but the nuc med test showed it was functioning at 6%. I had it removed and am so glad I did! I read forums of people saying they were worse off after so it was a little scary but my body has adapted and I don't have any issues now. I would suggest having the nuc med test done to be sure. Best of luck!
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know about the nuclear medicine tests! I'll push for that next if the ultrasound is funky. I know something is up. I've dealt with this for 2 years off and on, but it's getting so much worse now. I've cut out spicy food, pop (still have the occasional iced mocha for caffeine), most tomato products, and now I'm considering totally gluten free to see if it at least settles down. I just know that I can't keep dealing with this crap. My doctor loves to push pills, so he started me on prescription prilosec (because OTC prilosec and prevacid did absolutely nothing) and is calling it GERD. Funny thing is, I don't get much in the way of heart burn. It's all cramping and feeling like my stomach is going to eat itself, even with just a 100 calorie snack. I'm watching what I eat extremely well today because I'm on campus at my university and don't want to get sick. Thank you all for the advice, and if anyone has any gluten free/low gluten recipes as well I'd love to have them! I have time to cook at home and microwave access for leftovers.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I used to get it almost every single day but since losing weight its not very often. It seems to be triggered by chilli, onion, alcohol, deep fried food and fizzy drinks for me.

All my favourite things :sad: but now I can have all those in moderation and if I have a bit to much a rennie usually fixes it whereas before I would be eating rennies like sweets and still in pain.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I had very bad acid reflux for years. It stopped the day I started losing weight. It's the combo of no coffee, no soda, less red meat, less volume of food in my stomach, and weight loss. Some people have found a connection between wheat and acid reflux, but that was never true for me.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I had very bad acid reflux for years. It stopped the day I started losing weight. It's the combo of no coffee, no soda, less red meat, less volume of food in my stomach, and weight loss. Some people have found a connection between wheat and acid reflux, but that was never true for me.

This has been pretty much the case for me also. I went to the doctor back in March because I started having severe pain in my chest after eating and was diagnosed with GERD. He talked to me a little bit about what I should or should not eat, and really recommended giving up soda. So I took the two weeks samples of Nexium that he gave me, and quit drinking soda. After two weeks, when I was out of the medicine, I also decided to change my whole way of eating. It just occured to me that I did not want to end up taking medicine for the rest of my life that I could control with diet. It was just GERD then, but I knew at my age (41), and my weight, it was just a matter of time before it was heart disease, diabetes, etc. Since I changed my diet, I have not had a single problem with reflux, and am on no medicine.
  • arock1000
    arock1000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    So my symptoms were pain in my back under my right shoulder blade and just a weird/pain feeling when I tried to sleep on my right side. I didn't have any reflux but it always hit right after work on my way home. For a long time I thought it was just from sitting at a computer all day but did some online doctoring and came up with gallbladder. Thank you webmd :)
    Just thought I'd let you know so you can compare symptoms.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've had to quit drinking black tea and can no longer use lemon essential oil in my water. The tea was a huge trigger for me.