first half-marathon next month!!?!?

Options
I am running in my first half marathon next month and was wondering if any of you had any advice for me. I know I will need to re-fuel during the race and I really want some feed back of what I could take with me. They will provide powerade.

Replies

• sarahmaren
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm running my first half in January. My BFF is an avid runner/marathoner and has set me up with a training program. I just did my first walking half as part of the training and was SO grateful for my water belt. It has two water bottles and a pocket that fits my iPhone and lip balm. I was MOST grateful for that lip balm. I highly suggest making sure you have that when you're out there. Good luck! I look forward to seeing how you did. :)
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've done several halfs...they are a blast! If you want some food to fuel up with, raisins or jelly beans work great. Personally, I only refuel with the powerade most of the time, although I have grabbed the jellybeans on race day when I needed it. Enjoy your run!
  • griffx12
    griffx12 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Vasoline on your toes. A watch. I pin Advil to my shorts to take at mile 3 that way it kicks in when I need it. Nano if running alone. Throw away gloves tends to be cold at the start. If hot I have gotten $2 visors from wal- mart to throw if it starts to bug. Trash bag to wear if it looks like rain. Good luck - have fun!!! Water at every stop you will need it - if hot put on your head to bring down your body temp.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Generally you would want to practice your fueling during your long practice runs...that way you know what works, especially to avoid any digestive issues. I would recommend not trying anything new on race day itself (whether it's what you eat for breakfast, the fuel you take with you, or the shoes you wear!)

Even if they offer gatorade and/or water on the course I would recommend taking a water bottle or using a fuel belt with water bottle(s) attached. I use a fuel belt with 2 10-ounce bottles--1 with water and 1 that is a mix of gatorade and water.

I have used Clif Shot Bloks (chewy squares), gels (various brands), and Honey Stinger waffles during long runs and half marathons. Gels work best for me because they are easily digestible and easy to carry (and don't require chewing).

I have a friend who does pieces of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and dried fruit, and other friends who don't use anything...it's a really individual thing.
  • dkweathington
    dkweathington Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've done several halfs...they are a blast! If you want some food to fuel up with, raisins or jelly beans work great. Personally, I only refuel with the powerade most of the time, although I have grabbed the jellybeans on race day when I needed it. Enjoy your run!

They do provide jelly beans around mile 8!
  • kiwigirls
    kiwigirls Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I did my first half earlier this year. I didn't bother taking anything with me - just drunk water at every water stop & had powerade at about the 15k mark (at a waterstop). I figured that I did all my training runs without taking water and I felt fine. But if you find you get thirsty on your training runs you might want to take more water with you Presumably you will be doing some long runs in the month before. Judge how you feel, take water/food on those training runs and see if you want it/need it. Good luck - it goes by so quickly!
  • dkweathington
    Options
    Generally you would want to practice your fueling during your long practice runs...that way you know what works, especially to avoid any digestive issues. I would recommend not trying anything new on race day itself (whether it's what you eat for breakfast, the fuel you take with you, or the shoes you wear!)

Even if they offer gatorade and/or water on the course I would recommend taking a water bottle or using a fuel belt with water bottle(s) attached. I use a fuel belt with 2 10-ounce bottles--1 with water and 1 that is a mix of gatorade and water.

I have used Clif Shot Bloks (chewy squares), gels (various brands), and Honey Stinger waffles during long runs and half marathons. Gels work best for me because they are easily digestible and easy to carry (and don't require chewing).

I have a friend who does pieces of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and dried fruit, and other friends who don't use anything...it's a really individual thing.

Thanks!! I was thinking about trying jels!! I will pick up some powerade and gels at the store tomorrow for my long run on Sat.
  • kfesta52
    kfesta52 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's one I had never though of when I did a half a few years back. Carry some toilet paper with you to the start. Especially at the start of a big race, like the Rock n Roll runs, a LOT of people use the porta-potties at the start of the race. You might just have to drip dry if you're not prepared! Who would have thought?
  • dkweathington
    Options
    Okay, here's one I had never though of when I did a half a few years back. Carry some toilet paper with you to the start. Especially at the start of a big race, like the Rock n Roll runs, a LOT of people use the porta-potties at the start of the race. You might just have to drip dry if you're not prepared! Who would have thought?

I HATE porta-potties..ugggg. I wish there was another way or something else they could do as far as bathrooms go!!! But I will have to remember this because I am sure I will HAVE TO JUST SUCK IT UP :) Thanks!!!!!!!!!!