Weight lifting at home..What do I need?

Options
Okay, I know this has been asked probably way too many times, but I couldn't find a thread that answered my question. If you would like, link me to another post that would be helpful. :)

I've been struggling keeping to any kind of exercise routine and have recently been reading about heavy lifting..and that's what I want to try. I have lots to lose and use to love going to the weight room when I was in school..so I'm hoping it will really help.

Anyways..what equipment would I need to buy to start a decent lifting routine at home? (I plan to get a gym membership eventually, since I'll be getting a license soon..but I'd like equipment at home until then and for bad weather days/when I don't have a sitter in the future)
So what do I need, guys and gals? Bench..are there different types of bars? lifting belt..? Not sure what's recommended for at home use.

My birthdays coming up and and I'm hoping my husband will get me what I need for it. :D

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Power rack, olympic bar and lots of plates. Good adjustable bench. A wide variety of dumbbells or adjustable dumbbells. Bonus if the power rack has a pull-up bar and dip station. That should cover pretty much anything you'd want to do for lifting.

If you want to go cheap, a bench and some adjustable dumbbells would be a good starting point. You can do just about any exercise with dumbbells, at least until the weights start getting really heavy.
  • TimTamF
    Options
    If you are really just starting out, then start with dip station and weight set or power block adjustable set. Then a bench with leg extension is good, as well as bar with plates. You can do amazing things for your strength, cardio and tone with very little equipment. I'm not endorsing, but, look up 'fitness blender' or 'Zuzka light' real time videos for proof.....
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Check on Craigslist before you guy anything. A good bench and a few dumbells as a starting point should suffice. Add as you go forward as weights can be expensive. Lot's of New Year's resolutions gone bad on Craigslist!!! :)
  • miadvh
    miadvh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all so much for your input and advice! :) I'll be doing some research until I'm able to get the equipment later this month. :)
    Be warned..I may be hunting ya down and asking more questions! :D

And I'll be doing what I can until then with body weight and my HUGE 8 lb. dumbbells. ;) I think my purse weighs more!..maybe I'll workout with it? :laugh:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all so much for your input and advice! :) I'll be doing some research until I'm able to get the equipment later this month. :)
    Be warned..I may be hunting ya down and asking more questions! :D

And I'll be doing what I can until then with body weight and my HUGE 8 lb. dumbbells. ;) I think my purse weighs more!..maybe I'll workout with it? :laugh:

Put the dumbbells in the purse and lift that ;)
  • Armyx2
    Armyx2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Actually a valid idea. Kind of like improv kettle balls! My bag for class feels like a real work out going up and down the stairs with all that extra textbook weight.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Actually a valid idea. Kind of like improv kettle balls! My bag for class feels like a real work out going up and down the stairs with all that extra textbook weight.

Ohhh....yes! I will be attempting this!
  • TimTamF
    Options
    I actually do this! I wrap my dumbbells in a towel, stuff them into a backpack and use it like a sandbag for bodyrock.tv workouts!
  • Mjandjt
    Mjandjt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump :bigsmile: