Eat only when you hear your stomach growling?

valerieflames
valerieflames Posts: 10
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I was reading through these weight loss tips:
http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/easy-ways-to-lose-weight-50-ideas/article16057-1.html
and came across one (number 26) that says to only eat when your hear your stomach growling, and I was wondering if that was right. it seems like doing that could slow down your metabolism...?

help!? heh

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Not right. You don't need to get to the point where your body is screaming at you to feed it.
  • krisloock
    krisloock Posts: 29 Member
    I agree...you should eat several small meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism going. If you wait until you're hungry, you're almost always going to grab whatever you can or overdo it. The trick is NOT to get to that point! I eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours or even more frequently if I feel that the previous meal didn't quite fill me up..my meals are usually only 200-300 calories each but spaced evenly throughout the day.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    For some reason, that doesn't even sound right. I would never that that advice.
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    There are probably 100s of reasons your tummy will growl. It happens while we digest foods, if we've swallowed far too much air... on and on. I say eat small meals throughout the day, you will hear you tummy growl but it's pretty normal for that to happen.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    I would never be able to go by that rule because by the time my stomach is growling with hunger, I'm already experiencing symptoms of hypoglycemia (shaking, sweating, dizziness, light-headedness). It wasn't until recently that I realized that not all people experience those symptoms when they get overly hungry, or they do but just not as quickly or intensely as I seem to.

It's really important for me to be sure I eat every 4-6 hours because I've been stuck on my half hour drive to work at night having those symptoms and that feels pretty scary. :(
  • bluelikejazz: i get that way alot infact i've had it for along time.
This discussion has been closed.