Mood swings in relation cardio/weightlifting?

Options
I am curious to see if I am the only person who experiences this.

On most days I only do cardio, after my workout I feel more energized, positive, and lively.

After I lift weights I tend to get very irritable and grumpy. Almost a fight or flight feeling comes over me after the workout. Depending on how hard I pushed myself I often am moody and tired during my sore days afterwards.

These different moods don't have to do with what I'm eating because I eat similar foods day-to-day. These moods are directly linked to my workouts. Obviously I am chipper after cardio because of the endorphins. I wonder if there is a deeper explanation for my grumpy days after an intense weight session.

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Not sure I can add much insight, but yeah, it's the same for me.

I feel like a million bucks after swimming, rowing or calisthenics, and just, yup, irritable after lifting. Even though I'm pretty sure my heart rate goes up then too.

(It's not as bad if I do circuit training, like one of those Spartacus workouts, I notice.)
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one who experiences this. I was beginning to think something was wrong with my brain!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    for me i get a mad rush after a great workout and cranky pants when i havent been able to workout in a few days
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think I do the same sometimes after lifting. My husband says it makes me mean sometimes. Not really mean, just very irritable and almost like I want to fight :)

ETA: It may be related to testosterone levels, not sure.
  • deadliftfan
    Options
    This is weird. I felt exactly the same thing today. Did some cardio after 3 days of weights, and felt awesome.
  • james1299
    james1299 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I feel amazing after lifting weights, pumped up, clear and full of test.
    Rest days I feel down, especially if I skip my cardio
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    you probably enjoy cardio more than lifting, hence the emotional feelings after.
  • bynonmurrayc
    bynonmurrayc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to just be a runner. everytime i went to the gym i would get on the treadmil and do some crunches after no weights. i always felt GREAT after these workouts. When i started personal training i became in the WORST mood after my workouts.. not so much like i wanted to fight with someone, but so exhausted and just plain angry! don't know what it is. I asked my trainer too and he said it had something to do with the lactic acid or something? I dunno.. but you're not alone.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm opposite!! I feel AAAAHHHHMAAAZing after lifting heavy weights!!! So pumped up and ready to go!

I feel good after cardio too, but usually more exhausted because I push myself so much more..
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    thats one of the great benefits of cardio training. aerobic workouts release endorphins which gives you a " high " for lack a better word. Endorphins make you feel good...its often called the runners high.
  • _AllieCat_
    Options
    I think I do the same sometimes after lifting. My husband says it makes me mean sometimes. Not really mean, just very irritable and almost like I want to fight :)

EXACTLY how I feel. I want to pick a fight with everyone! By nature I am feisty but weightlifting pushes me over the edge. The testosterone comment makes a lot of sense.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options

EXACTLY how I feel. I want to pick a fight with everyone! By nature I am feisty but weightlifting pushes me over the edge. The testosterone comment makes a lot of sense.

Sometimes I don't feel like that though... I feel great. I think it's however my mood is beforehand, the lifting just sort of intensifies it, you know?
  • _AllieCat_
    Options
    you probably enjoy cardio more than lifting, hence the emotional feelings after.

Actually, cardio bores me to death. I LOVE weightlifting and look forward to it. That's why I am so torn.
  • jhall1255
    jhall1255 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i think its to do with testosterone levels
  • monty619
    Options

Actually, cardio bores me to death. I LOVE weightlifting and look forward to it. That's why I am so torn.

wuts ur routine like? how many exercises and how many sets n reps.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I have felt exhausted after certain workouts, especially leg day, but never had mood swings....unless I couldnt go. : )

I always eat enough to fuel my workouts. I wonder if you guys are not eating enough. Also rest days are very important with strength training. You could probably get away with cardio everyday of the week but strength training almost requires rest days. I dont mean days where you do cardio instead. I mean do nothing to repair and recover.

Are you guys eating enough fats. They are very important for brain function, hormone balance, vitamin and mineral absorption and all sort of other stuff.

• _AllieCat_
    Options

I don't know all of the official names for the moves I do on my arm days, but I use all free weights and lift as heavy as I can for 5 reps, about 5 sets depending on how shaky I get. Arms are my biggest work in progress.

On leg day I do leg presses and weighted squats and a few miscellaneous leg machines. Same lifting goal, as heavy as possible for 5 reps, 5 sets.

Every week I am able to go up in weight, so I know I am getting stronger with every session. I also am sore for 3-6 days after my arm or leg day.
  • Ronunderwood
    Ronunderwood Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always swim 30 laps after a weight training session, so I guess I don't give my mood a chance to swing.
    Swimming is generally the icing on the cake after a hard workout. I wouldn't want to do one without the other.

I've never really experienced any aggressive feelings after a weight training workout, that's probably
    predicated on the fact that I always do a full yoga routine for a warm up before I start lifting.
  • monty619
    Options

I don't know all of the official names for the moves I do on my arm days, but I use all free weights and lift as heavy as I can for 5 reps, about 5 sets depending on how shaky I get. Arms are my biggest work in progress.

On leg day I do leg presses and weighted squats and a few miscellaneous leg machines. Same lifting goal, as heavy as possible for 5 reps, 5 sets.

Every week I am able to go up in weight, so I know I am getting stronger with every session. I also am sore for 3-6 days after my arm or leg day.

well when performing anaerobic activity its good to have more dietary carbohydrates that day as well as overall calories.. ofcourse protein should be high as well and fat at usual levels... if ur diet log was open i could check it out but its not =/
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    The testosterone things makes sense, as does diet, for some. (Not me, I eat way above MFP's idea of what 'maintenance' is, macros ok :)

Re the psychological stuff - I like the feeling of lifting - sensing different muscles work against tension, paying attention to balance & form as a kind of challenge (which it is for me, I'm still learning).

But, can't say I enjoy it as as much as other things, where, idk, you have a sense of moving forward in space and time, or getting into a kind of zone via repetition. There's more regular & deeper breathing with some things - swimming, yoga, running - more oxygen. So many people seem to grunt & hold their breath while lifting.

Or with eg calisthenics (or dancing, especially) there's a different kind of aesthetic quality to the things you do - you get into a rhythm, add some variety with some big or explosive movements. Maybe use a bigger range of motion & stretch out your limbs now and then, like animals & kids do, just because it feels nice. Those movements are about spreading out, vs deliberately compacting force within your body.