Is cross-fit workouts recommended ??

Options
Hi all, I am intrigued by the cross-fit program and with few people i met swearing by it and hence I am planning to enroll for the cross-fit program and wanted to know how effective it is cos i would be spending a bomb on them so i thought it would be better to get some opinions from the people who are into it or have done it before.Replies highly appreciated :)

Replies

• GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    my boss loves it, I hear that if you get into it you absolutely LOVE it.

I need to lift weights - heavy weights.
    I cant find anyone to do it with me, or find good instructions at the Y

I plan to do the 30 day challenge at cross fit in November

I need to lose 20 lbs and I know weight lifting will make that happen.

Good LUCK
  • mrwalker80
    Options
    Cross-Fit is fantastic. I usually get the coupons on Groupon or something - great way to give it a try. You can also start with a boot camp (usually these are circuit training sessions 60 minutes long).
  • becon1022
    Options
    are you going to train at one or getting certified. no need to get certified in my opion inless you want to open one or just learn their fundamentals for $1000. but i would recommend going to the oly, kettlebell, strength certs. its a great workout in my opion. if you go to one with a great train it'll be awesome. you'll learn & do oly lifts, plus workouts are usually fast & intense. they do believe in forum & saftey. you can always go in & try it out im sure they'll let you try a class out. i do my own variation of it but myself, my workout partners, & my clients love the style. usually once a person tries it they are hooked, but not always.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    As with anything, it depends on your goals. Crossfit is great for conditioning and basic strength training. It is not good for someone who is a trained athlete who wants to get stronger. It is good for a strength athlete who wants to cut some fat if he is willing to accept some temporary setbacks in strength development. The list goes on, but there is definitely a benefit from Crossfit.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals and cash flow.

if you want to compete in crossfit, then go for it.

if you want to get strong, save your money and join a gym.
  • Hellguy76137
    Hellguy76137 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cross Fit is a great program for anyone that trains. Period. Training only one way all of the time means a plateau and so a limit to your progression. Cross Fit is based on the idea that you are doing something different everyday and also changing up the frequency/intensity/duration of your exercise. ANYONE that trains successfully know that these three things need to happen. I am a fan of it for fitness and health reasons. If it were offered at my gym i would do it. I say go for it!!
  • JasonDetwiler
    Options
    Cross Fit is a great program for anyone that trains. Period. Training only one way all of the time means a plateau and so a limit to your progression. Cross Fit is based on the idea that you are doing something different everyday and also changing up the frequency/intensity/duration of your exercise. ANYONE that trains successfully know that these three things need to happen. I am a fan of it for fitness and health reasons. If it were offered at my gym i would do it. I say go for it!!

This is partially true. The problem with Crossfit is you change directions so often (like, daily) that you don't progress along any one path with any real success. Newbie gains aside, this is program hopping on super-steroids.
  • swolegirlcb
    Options
    As with anything, it depends on your goals. Crossfit is great for conditioning and basic strength training. It is not good for someone who is a trained athlete who wants to get stronger. It is good for a strength athlete who wants to cut some fat if he is willing to accept some temporary setbacks in strength development. The list goes on, but there is definitely a benefit from Crossfit.

I would say no. but this ^^^ is mostly true. If you can find a good, certified coach. I recommend looking for someone who is not just certified in CrossFit they need to be experienced in Olympic lifts which are used in CrossFit programs.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    *Straps in for the ride
  • swolegirlcb
    Options

No it is not a great program for anyone who trains. Bodybuilders by the way train essentially one way all the time and progress quite well. ANYONE that trains successfully knows that you don't need to change up the frequency/intensity/duration of your exercise all the time. That's a myth. Different goals different training programs. Crossfit would never help me reach my personal fitness goals. It is for SOME people, not everyone.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've heard a bit of controversy surrounding cross-fit because of how extreme they push you, but everyone that I've ever known that goes to one swears by it.

My little brother was pretty chubby in his adolescent and early teen years. He trimmed down a bit with P90X, Lacrosse and Football, but started to do Crossfit twice a day several times a week, and he's gotten pretty buff. He lifts a 215lb overhead press now and competes. I'm proud of him :)
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I think this is a good assessment. It has helped me get into the best shape of my life, mainly because the group setting and hands-on attention from the trainers gave me the confidence to start lifting weights and the accountability to keep coming back regularly. I don't really enjoy any exercise other than running, so even though I knew it was good for me, I always made excuses to avoid weight training before or do it so sporadically that it didn't benefit me. This has also been the first gym where I've seen women be encouraged to use barbells and lift heavy; every other place I've belonged to has steered us over to the weight machines and told us to do low weights.

The workouts however are very random, and I'm sure one would get stronger faster by doing a program with a carefully designed progression.
  • Bebunt
    Bebunt Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the replies. Gave me a good insight to the program.Few of the questions that I would like to answer
    My aim :
    build core strength and stamina,
    Lean muscles(not a big fan of buff)
    no tradeoffs as far as speed is concerned
    I am going for a training not the certification.
  • JasonDetwiler
    Options
    build core strength and stamina,
    Depends on what you're doing now, but Crossfit won't hurt unless you're a strength competitor or a marathon runner.

Lean muscles(not a big fan of buff)
    There is no such thing as a not-lean-muscle. However, you will not likely get huge on Crossfit because it fails to keep you moving in any given direction over any course of time, so you don't make progress toward increasing muscle size like you would on a BB or PL program (unless you're a newbie).

no tradeoffs as far as speed is concerned
    Shouldn't be an issue. Lifting weights makes you faster, not slower.