Gluten Free

Options
Have any non-celiac afflicted people had a positive experience with a gluten free diet?

Replies

• Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I don't actually know if I'm a celiac but I know I'm insulin resistant and I find I have alot more energy and less insulin spikes going gluten free.

To be honest I've also never tried something that is marketed as gluten free I just avoid bread, pasta and rice and it seems to be working well for me. I just eat alot of sweet potato instead or have salads for lunch.

Maybe give it a try for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference in yourself?

Good Luck
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm not celiac but one sister is severly intolerant and has to avoid gluten at all costs or have bloating, gas, diarrhea, acne and excezma. I cut out wheat and have substantially less joint pain particularly in my knees... all these years my doctor thought it was just arthritis and told me to lose wait and it would lessen. Commit to going 10 days, you'll know if it'll make a difference for you in that time.

Don't buy into the pre-package gluten free products, a lot of them are made with rice flour, potato starch or tapioca flour, all whiter than white flour.
    There are so many other grains to discover - brown rice, spelt, oats, quinoa, amaranth... happy exploring.
  • jckw333
    Options
    You don't have to be coeliac to notice a benefit on a gluten free diet. Lots of 'gluten-free' people are just gluten intolerant, not full on coeliac (which shaves the lining off your intestines - nasty). Even when not intolerant, you can notice benefits just by cutting out processed carbs like white breads. I also think to stay away from commercially packaged gluten free products as they are often starchy and have low nutrient value.
    I work in the natural health industry and I know of therapists near me who put clients who are suffering from any inflammatory conditions onto a gluten free diet (with good results) because gluten can supposedly exacerbate inflammatory processes.