BMR and calorie intake

Options
I think I already know the answer to this, but I'd like to know if I'm right!

MFP's BMR calculator tells me that my BMR is 1,816.

Does that mean that I need to be eating 1,816 calories a day?

At present, I'm eating around 1300-1400, depending on how much I exercise. I've been losing weight (except for this past week where a binge session's made me gain 5lbs), but would I lose more if I stuck to 1,800?

I was on 1,800 when I was using a dietician's meal delivery service at the beginning of my weight loss plan, and lost about 15lbs in a month on it, but I dropped down from 1,800 when I decided to go it alone because it was just too much food for me to eat!

Any advice would be great! Thanks. ^^

Replies

• quillsHP
    quillsHP Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump...I'd like to know as well.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm aware I think it means you have to eat that per day, as the BMR is what you need to function properly if you did nothing during the day.

Try this calculator and see how you go http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

It works out your TDEE (maintaining calorie goal) and you can cut a percentage off this.

How I understand it is that you eat below your TDEE and above your BMR and you should lose weight.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I eat just a little above my BMR and I lose weight. I would say that from your past experience of losing weight on that amount then I reckon you know what to do :P

Try increasing bit by bit to get used to so you don't feel overwhelmed. Nuts, full fat dairy and big portions are a good idea to start bulking it out a bit, :D
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I had the same question as you actually, just trying to figure out what amount of calories is right for me. Someone told me to check out this post. I found it really helpful! But it's basically the same as what you're saying. Check it out though and see if this helps you determine if 1800 is good for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I agree though it seems like a lot. I was doing 1200 per my doctor (not the brightest bulb's) suggestion, but according to this and everything else I've read that's too low to be eating. Healthy to be netting that much after exercise. But eating only that and then exercising off 200-300 of that is making my daily intake at 900. Which is nowhere near a healthy amount!
  • dhiab
    dhiab Posts: 2
    Options
    since your bmr is 1816 and you have been eating 1300-1400 per day your metabolism probably slowed down, i would suggest you gradually increase your calorie intake to 1800 in a 2-3 week window and see the results.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    On the advice of a personal trainer, I have set my goal to 1400 calories which is just above my BMR (1392). He told me not to eat any less than this and on exercise days eat back some of my calories (if not all) and I should lose weight. So I would say YES, eat at least your BMR...........
  • quillsHP
    Options
    Will you lose weight slower if you eat below BMR? I guess yes...but it has long-term undesirable effects?
  • hailzp
    Options
    I actually lost weight faster eating at BMR, it has something to do with giving your body enough to lose. Not positive about all the logic. All I know is that when I eat below BMR my weight loss is minimal. Yet eat at BMR especially with exercise I lose a good amount each week.

I am sure others will say different though.
  • quillsHP
    Options
    I actually lost weight faster eating at BMR, it has something to do with giving your body enough to lose. Not positive about all the logic. All I know is that when I eat below BMR my weight loss is minimal. Yet eat at BMR especially with exercise I lose a good amount each week.

I am sure others will say different though.

Makes sense I guess. So this may be a huge jump in calories for me...1430-1700 :ohwell: Do you increase your calorie intake gradually?
  • tash56
    tash56 Posts: 4
    Options
    did you factor in your exercise??? if you want to lose weight, minus 500 calories from your bmr. so 1800- 500 is 1300 for optimal weight loss
  • hailzp
    Options
    did you factor in your exercise??? if you want to lose weight, minus 500 calories from your bmr. so 1800- 500 is 1300 for optimal weight loss

No, it is minus 500 from your TDEE, BMR is what you would burn if you lay in bed all day and didn't even get up for a wee. TDEE is what you burn moving around, doing the washing, going to work etc. So you eat a little above BMR and your body gets what it needs to live and you are in an automatic deficit.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

You take the 500 cals a day off your TDEE not your BMR.
  • hailzp
    Options

Makes sense I guess. So this may be a huge jump in calories for me...1430-1700 :ohwell: Do you increase your calorie intake gradually?

I didn't actually, lol, I just increased immediately, gained 3 kg in the first week and dropped 2kg the next week then another 2.7kg the week after that. Then it evened out to about 0.6kg loss a week. It was only a 200cal increase for me though.

I reckon adding a 100 a week till you get used to it is a good idea. :) Especially if you struggle with the amount, not only physically but mentally.
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    bump
  • roswyn80
    roswyn80 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Lots of great replies! Thank you very much, everyone. ^^

According to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/, I should be eating 1796 calories a day, with my TDEE being 2245 and BMR 1870.

I can definitely see it make sense to need to eat around your BMR... I don't know why it didn't hit me before now. XD

Time to make some adjustments to my daily goals!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Find out your TDEE and eat a 20% cut from that. :smile: I've lost a lot of weight and am sooo close to goal and I'm STILL losing a half pound to a pound per week. I eat 1700 calories as my BMR is 1400 and my TDEE is 2100...I have myfitnesspal set to 1700 calories per day and I update my exercise as '1' calorie burned just to share what I'm doing, but my workouts are factored into my TDEE so 1700 is the number for me!

You should be eating MORE than your BMR to lose weight.

Also, this will halt your binges. If you fuel your body (with mostly good food, of course) you wont need/want to binge. I suffered with BED for 18 months and recovered all by myself, so trust me. :smile: xx
  • dhiab
    dhiab Posts: 2
    Options
    i think it's because when you eat below your BMR (300-400 less) your body tends to go on starvation mode thus not seeing any noticeable changes.