Massive fail :(

Options
I went out for dinner last night and skipped training....resulting in me being over my daily calories by over 800! So annoyed at myself now, but at the same time it was nice to have a break! I have only been on the Insanity program for 2 weeks, but it eats up all my free time in the evenings. Even though I ruined my whole day yesterday...I can't decide whether it was worth it. Probably not.

Replies

• bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it. It happens. I went with my one friend to Cheesecake Factory and ended up eating over 1,100 calories there one day and actually LOST weight the next day. Setbacks happen. It's working hard every day and not giving up after they happen. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and continue. And congrats on the Insanity program....2 weeks is awesome! You're doing great!
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That was yesterday, hopefully you made better choices today and great choices tomorrow.

When you choose to eat off your plan, make sure the food is good tasting and worth it. Enjoy it and get over it, don't use it as a tool to beat yourself.
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hey. One day, however off, is not a massive fail.. unless you keep telling yourself so.
    That was yesterday. Push on.
  • cullyn
    cullyn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It helps to have ppl put it into perspective! :happy:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it. It happens. I went with my one friend to Cheesecake Factory and ended up eating over 1,100 calories there one day and actually LOST weight the next day. Setbacks happen. It's working hard every day and not giving up after they happen. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and continue. And congrats on the Insanity program....2 weeks is awesome! You're doing great!

i would listen to whatever she says. 225 pounds loss !!!!!!! GREAT JOB!!!
  • mcfc4tony
    mcfc4tony Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hey. One day, however off, is not a massive fail.. unless you keep telling yourself so.
    That was yesterday. Push on.

@Alpona483 Wise words! You cannot do anything about yesterday that is gone and you'll never have it back (unless you know of a time machine, if so what are the UK lotto number for this Sat please :bigsmile: ).
    You cannot control tomorrow.
    The only thing you can affect is today, do not over react and cut the cals too much today.
    Just move on, it will happen again. Just enjoy the moment and don't make it a daily thing :drinker:
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    you were 800 over....my guess is that's not 800 over your TDEE but whatever MFP set, so you were really only over by about 300....which is less than 10% of 1lb of true weight gain.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Make up for it the next few days, our bodies don't work on a 24 hour clock babe x
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    The thing a bout losing weight - it's a long-term thing. Even if you don't have a huge amount to lose, you will still want to maintain it when you reach your goal, and the only way you can really do that, is to make lifestyle changes that are sustainable long-term. When you get to goal, you'll have maybe a few hundred more calories to work with, but you'll still need to be careful not to let it creep back on. The best way to make sure you keep up with it is to create a lifestyle now that you can continue indefinitely. The way you are describing this programme you are on - it doesn't sound very sustainable to me. I don't know much about Insanity, but perhaps building in rest days is a good idea. Overdoing things to the point where you burn out is not going to help you in the long run, and it sounds like you already feel a little resentful that your evenings are being lost. I'm not saying stop doing it - but try to find a balance that you are happy with. With exercise - if you get some enjoyment out of it, it's so much easier to keep it going.

As for the calories - I wouldn't even try to "make up" for it. 800 calories is really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I really doubt you were even over your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure / maintenance), so you shouldn't have gained any fat from it. Even if you did, 800 cals is not even half a pound. By the way, if your weight does go up a little on the scales, it's most likely water retention from extra sodium/carbs, as well as from your exercise. Feeling guilty when you go over, or that you've "ruined" the day or "ruined" your diet, these are ways of setting yourself up for failure. Don't beat yourself up and don't be too restrictive now to try to compensate. You just had a day off, and you can get right back on it today.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Call it a spike day to keep your metabolism on its toes!
  • gingermaker219
    gingermaker219 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Dont be so hard on yourself. I'm new to this site and am starting out with 58 lbs to lose which I am finding hard to comprehend. Look at how much you have lost. Its amazing.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Suppose you are only 800 over your 1200calories.....but you burned about 2200-3k......

I wouldnt worry too much.
  • cullyn
    Options
    you were 800 over....my guess is that's not 800 over your TDEE but whatever MFP set, so you were really only over by about 300....which is less than 10% of 1lb of true weight gain.

What does TDEE mean?
  • Fatguy2Fitguy
    Fatguy2Fitguy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it! It does the body & mind good to have the occasional treat.

Think of it this way, say in one month you have 4 bad days... that means you had 27 good days! That's what to focus on!
  • cullyn
    Options
    Call it a spike day to keep your metabolism on its toes!

Haha! Yes I was thinking that!! :)
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    one days not a fail until every day is a fail
    x
  • I went out for dinner last night and skipped training....resulting in me being over my daily calories by over 800!

800 only?? I ate half a jar of peanutbutter yesterday. That's almost 1200kcals (without counting my breakfast, lunch and dinner). You'll live hun!! ;).

Just start over today! Good luck!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    We all experience setbacks and bad days. It's part of the journey. The key is not getting discouraged and giving up.
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It's all part of life. Look at it this way, allow yourself one day a week to "cheat". I'm not saying to go over board on that day every time, but take that day to be able to enjoy yourself and not worry about what you had to eat, drink, or even do for that day. As long as you maintain a healthy lifestyle for the remaining 6 days of the week, that 1 "cheat" day will never seem to daughting.

I hope this helps
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Defo not a fail you need to enjoy your self at least once a week a cheat meal/day is needed in a lifestyle change:)