How to get rid of these "thick" legs?????

Options

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

3. I never saw a ballet dancer nor gymnast with clumpy legs - maybe there is a clue there to the type of exercises you should be doing.
    Or a clue as to what kind of body type is most successful in ballet or gymnastics? :smile:
  • rootbag
    rootbag Posts: 11
    Options
    You can change your body shape through diet and exercise. To say you can't is quite ignorant.
  • lizzie1030
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am 5'3" and at 124. I exercise daily and hike on the weekends. I have thick thighs and exercising my legs haven't made them smaller, just more muscular. My upper body is small however, and my stomach is flat. It's hard to buy dress pants because if they fit in my thighs they are too big in the waist. I buy pants with wider legs or wear belt. Skinny jeans are definitely out.

I think it's just my body type. I got down do 112 pounds a couple of years ago and they were definitely smaller, but they are never going to be in proportion to my upper body. I alternate yoga and pilates with my other workouts and I think that helps. I just know that I will never have skinny thighs. It's okay though, because my legs are strong and although not as skinny as I would like, they are firm.
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I can help!!! I RELATE 100%!! I have been a BIG leggeded girl all my life and mine was due to muscles (and fat), gotta love genetics plus overeating. This is the first time in my life I've really gotten my legs down along with the rest of me. That said, my upper body is still "thinner" than my legs but I'm balanced and proportioned. I went from a size 16 pant to size 6 jeans comfortably and my upper body is a size 6. What did it for me?

1) Weights!!! Lifting heavy (for me)! I was always one of those girls who said she wouldn't lift weights because she'd bulk. WRONG!! This is the smallest I've been since I was in the 6th grade.

Mon and Wed:
    Legs--squats and goblin squats. 30lbs in the beginning, now up to 40lbs. 15reps. 3 sets.
    Arms/shoulders/back--15lbs each arm. Bicep curl into shoulder press and tricep extensions (while doing goblin squats), bent over rows. 10reps. 3 sets.

Tues and Thurs:
    Legs--Lunges and Romanian deadlifts. 30lbs in the beginning, now up to 40lbs. 15reps. 3 sets.
    Arms/shoulders/back--15lbs each arm. Lateral raises and side lateral raises (while doing goblin squats), bent over lateral raises. 10reps. 3 sets.

Fri:
    Just legs--squats, goblin squats, Romanian deadlifts and lunges. 30lbs in the beginning, now up to 40lbs. 15reps. 3 sets.

I don't go superheavy because I need flexibility and agility for dancing.

3) Cardio. When I do weights, I do them as HIIT. Meaning: I'll do 30 seconds hard rope jumping, then one set of movement, like 15reps of squats. Then 30 secs hard rope jumping, then 10 reps of arm weights. 30 secs hard rope jumping, then 15reps goblin squats. I do this until I hit all the reps and sets. I jump rope to keep my heart rate up and burn cals while I'm doing weights.

Every day, I jog 2-5 miles a day. Usually, 2 miles in the am, with the dog, then do HIIT/weights. Then 2 miles in the pm, after work. In the summer, I swam 45 mins -1 1/2 hrs 3 or 4 times a week. Or I do the elliptical. I clock at least 1 1/2 hr workout every day and then about 3-4 hrs Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

But, I really believe that it's the running combined with the weights that have gotten my thighs, hips, and butt down. I had a boyfriend who was a biathlete and he told me that running distance over time (rather than fast sprints) break down the muscle fibers and rebuilds them longer and thinner and he said something about the pounding tears the muscle fibers so when they rebuild you want to build them longer, thus running over times (I think of marathon runners, lean thighs). It made sense. So I run for time...at least 20-30 minutes a stretch twice a day.

I still have thighs, but they're not huge and I'm complimented on my legs all the time :) I hope this helps. It took about 4 months to see really definitive results...and that's working hard EVERY day.

I'm am an example of a woman who changed her body type...I've always been "thick"...I'm not anymore. My body looks VERY different. Also, if you look at my profile pics, the black/white dress and the green skirtini were taken when I was a size 8. I'm now a size 6, so even smaller (not even trying to lose anymore)...
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer but I share your pain!
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    EMBRACE YOUR INNER PEAR!! I have heavy legs too but the rest of me is ok. Yoga and pilates will help to elongate and tone but you pretty much have to learn to love what your mamma gave you. If they are toned and strong who cares how big they are! :flowerforyou:
    Noooooo... please not the "elongation"! :explode: Yoga and pilates will not elongate anything. Once you have stopped growing, your bones are a fixed length, and your muscles are a fixed length. Like any exercise, yoga and pilates will help you to lose fat through a calorie deficit, and they can help you to strengthen and shape your muscles (although not as effectively as you can with weight lifting).

But the part about embracing your shape - that's good advice. :flowerforyou:

Ah feck, totally worded it wrong, should have put 'gives the illusion of longer, leaner muscles' ANY eejit should know your bones wont grow with yoga but Ive slimmed down my thighs as best I can. I havent tried the lifting (yet) so couldnt give an opinion but Ive seen some AMAZING photos of the ladies on here. Please dont explode!
  • cdvanddc12
    cdvanddc12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you are saying that you have thick-muscular legs or thick-fat legs..

If its thick muscular, start doing long distance running!!! Look up the difference between long distance runners legs and sprinters...... Thin legs on long distance runners, bulky muscular ones on the sprinters. Its probably the only way to "spot reduce" but its not the fat... Its the muscle and not really reduction, it is the way and type of muscle fiber that you are building... I wouldn't say stop the squats and lunges and blah even though you are just building muscle, which makes them look bigger... but um cut back and run and run and run. It is the only way (that I know of) to get thinner legs, besides.. well, starving.

Just look into it and I'm sure you will find that I am right. Have you ever seen a long distance runner with thick legs? Didn't think so.

It will take time, but don't give up if you want results! :]
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3.5" with the exact same issues at this moment in time. I lose in my face, waiste and back but it is impossible to lose in my butt, tummy and thighs. Grrr. At one point we have to just accept what we have, own it and love it. My hubby loves me no matter what I look like so I should follow him and love me for who and what I am as well. I am in the best shape of my life, I run long distance, lift weights, feel great except for these stupid fat pockets I can't seem to get rid of. Telling people not to be honest will not help your plight. Accept you for who you are, enough said. No one will ever have the perfect body or be 100% satisfied with themselves anyway. You just have to strive to be the best you that you can be.
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Noooooo... please not the "elongation"! :explode: Yoga and pilates will not elongate anything. Once you have stopped growing, your bones are a fixed length, and your muscles are a fixed length.

er... stretching kinda elongates :)
  • sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have what I class as 'thick' legs too - I've been told I have athletic legs..lol... and the more exercise I do with them the more bulked up they get - I have never had nice skinny little calves - EVER! Even at my skinniest where I was happiest with my body - I still never had the legs I would have liked.. my body just isn't that shape...
  • dominikaro
    Options
    I have the same problem. Squads, lounges etc will definitely tone your legs and it will make them look better. Recently I discovered that running and jumping (all kinds: rope, sideways, on the box) helps me loose more inches from my tights. I haven't yet found any solution for calves ;(

Edit: If you're not on a budget you could try some beauty salon treatments.
  • perfecting_emptiness
    Options
    I'm a pear shape and that just how my body is. When I lose weight my legs get thinner but so does the rest of me so I look basically the same proportionately. That's prob not what you want to hear either. Toning does help tho. I use a resistance band and do a 30min mircuit that was in october 2012 issue of health and fitness magazine. Basically:

Warm up and stretch

1st:
    Clock lounges (no band): stand talklwith feet hip width apart imagine you're at the centre of a clock with12 o'clock ahead of you and 6o'clock behind you. Exhale and take a slow step forward with your right leg, bending both knees to approx. 90 degree angle. Push back to the start position. Take a step out to 1 then 2 then 6. Swap legs and step to 12 then 11 then 19 then 6. Repeat sequence 3x

Stench band squats: tie around your calves so it feels taught with feet shoulder width apart. Lift your left leg and step to the left pressing out against the band. As your left foot touches the floor, bend your knees into a deep squat. Stand up tall and bring feet back to shoulder width apart. . Repeat 10x on each leg

(repeat the circuit 3x)

2nd:
    Side-press: again with band ties around calves and snug when feet are shoulder width, lift foot and press against the band 10x. Repeat on other leg

Hip-lift with band: lie in your back with knees bent and feet on the floor. Tie band snugly around your knees. Squeeze your bottom and lift hips into the air. Keeping hips raised, push your knees out against the band 4x. Lower hips back to the floor then repeat 6x

(repeat circuit 3x)

3rd:
    Clam shell: lie on left side with head on your outstretched arm left hand on your hip. Bend both legs with band tied around knees. Exhale to raise left knee like a clam against the resistance of the band, keeping feet together. Inhale to close. Repeat 15x on each side. On the final rep, hold in open position and pulse 15x

Single-leg press: lie on your back with left foot bent, foot flat on the floor and your knee right above your hip, foot in the band pulling the ends tight, one in each hand. Inhale to prepare your abs as you push your right leg forward and up into the band. Inhale slowly and return to starting position. Repeat 10x on each leg

(repeat circuit 3x)

4th:
    Donkey kick: start on all fours then lower yourself onto your forearms, hands clasped together. Extend your right leg behind you, while keeping hips level and your spine in neutral. Perform 12 reps followed by 12 pulses at the top position. Repeat the exercise with a bent knee. Repeat the entire series with left leg.

Side leg-lift: lie on right side with your head on your outstretched right arm, your left hand on your left hip. Keep your spine straight and your lower waist lifted, as you lengthen your left leg. Exhale as you lift your leg, keeping your hops and waist still, and inhale to lower. Perform 15 reps on each side.

(repeat circuit 3x)

Stretch and cool down

Edited for typos
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    So for those of you in my same position - how have you/are you targeting your legs? I workout at least 4-5 days a week. Lately, I've been adding more squats, lunges, leg presses, stair stepping, and running.

Also, please, please, please - DON'T respond with "you can't target certain areas" - I've heard this several times as well.

You may not like to hear it, because you've heard it several times before... but the reason why you've heard it several times before is because it's TRUE. You should know, as a functioning adult, that asking the same question over and over again won't inevitably result in that answer changing any. It's not like the people of MFP can change scientific fact for you.

That said, here is what I would do if I were you (I, for one, have the same body type. Smaller up top, tree-trunk legs... but I love my proportions, if not my weight. Once I'm through with fat loss, my legs are gonna be bangin'.):

-Do plenty of strength training exercises for your upper body and core, to build up your upper torso, thereby balancing out your proportions somewhat, creating more of an hourglass figure. Make sure to consume protein (I'd say at least 20 grams. Get some whey protein concentrate or isolate, if nothing else is portable) within an hour of strength training. Continue to eat a high protein diet (about 1g per pound of lean mass. Go get your body composition tested, if you do not know those stats). The workouts are one half of the equation. Your body can't build muscle without enough protein.

-Don't stop the squats, lunges, etc, as building those muscles will keep your legs shapely (instead of them turning into undefined, shlubby-looking stovepipes, like I've seen on some young women). I would throw in some deadlifts to build up your hamstrings and glutes, too. They're great for building a nice, round, firm bum. Do keep in mind, however, that these will generally only increase the size of the muscles, and will never spot reduce. If you're working on a calorie deficit, these will help you lose body fat overall... but no better than any other calorie-burning activity, regardless of what limbs you employ to perform it.

-Work on reducing your body fat percentage, overall. As I am currently obese, I am able to drop body fat while still gaining muscle. As you are not obese, from what I have read by other lifters, you will probably have to work to build muscle (called a "bulk", wherein you do not work at a calorie deficit, focusing on building muscle without losing weight), and reduce body fat (called a "cut", wherein you focus on losing body fat, without being able to build... even losing some of muscle mass), doing these two phases separately. This doesn't mean you will turn into some burly she-hulk; you can apply the same techniques that bodybuilders use, on a smaller scale, to get the figure you want. I would direct you to Google these terms, even dare to venture over to www.bodybuilding.com, to get a better idea of how this works, as I myself have not reached the point of doing either, specifically. Look for tips on how to do it naturally. There are a lot of articles out there, and some lifters use things like Hydroxycut, etc, that venture into iffy diet pill territory... which I don't condone.

-Stop listening to your friends' critiques of your body. Your friends clearly don't know jack. Our society has had its view of a healthy body distorted from so many people being overweight; a healthy weight ends up looking worrisomely thin, to a lot of the now "average" people. If YOU know you are still in a healthy range (and at a BMI of 22.5, you most definitely are), then the only person whose business it is to be happy with your body is YOU.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Usually big, muscular legs means you have a rockin' @$$. So work it and don't try to lose it. (Because, frankly, if you're built that way, it's not going to change.)
  • tdavies1980
    tdavies1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and wish there was some way of them going away. I dont see that you can do anything other than surgery - Drastic i know.

i wish someone had the answer i would love to hear it.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    sex! LMAO
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    So for those of you in my same position - how have you/are you targeting your legs? I workout at least 4-5 days a week. Lately, I've been adding more squats, lunges, leg presses, stair stepping, and running.

Also, please, please, please - DON'T respond with "you can't target certain areas" - I've heard this several times as well.

You may not like to hear it, because you've heard it several times before... but the reason why you've heard it several times before is because it's TRUE. You should know, as a functioning adult, that asking the same question over and over again won't inevitably result in that answer changing any. It's not like the people of MFP can change scientific fact for you.

That said, here is what I would do if I were you (I, for one, have the same body type. Smaller up top, tree-trunk legs... but I love my proportions, if not my weight. Once I'm through with fat loss, my legs are gonna be bangin'.):

-Do plenty of strength training exercises for your upper body and core, to build up your upper torso, thereby balancing out your proportions somewhat, creating more of an hourglass figure. Make sure to consume protein (I'd say at least 20 grams. Get some whey protein concentrate or isolate, if nothing else is portable) within an hour of strength training. Continue to eat a high protein diet (about 1g per pound of lean mass. Go get your body composition tested, if you do not know those stats). The workouts are one half of the equation. Your body can't build muscle without enough protein.

-Don't stop the squats, lunges, etc, as building those muscles will keep your legs shapely (instead of them turning into undefined, shlubby-looking stovepipes, like I've seen on some young women). I would throw in some deadlifts to build up your hamstrings and glutes, too. They're great for building a nice, round, firm bum. Do keep in mind, however, that these will generally only increase the size of the muscles, and will never spot reduce. If you're working on a calorie deficit, these will help you lose body fat overall... but no better than any other calorie-burning activity, regardless of what limbs you employ to perform it.

-Work on reducing your body fat percentage, overall. As I am currently obese, I am able to drop body fat while still gaining muscle. As you are not obese, from what I have read by other lifters, you will probably have to work to build muscle (called a "bulk", wherein you do not work at a calorie deficit, focusing on building muscle without losing weight), and reduce body fat (called a "cut", wherein you focus on losing body fat, without being able to build... even losing some of muscle mass), doing these two phases separately. This doesn't mean you will turn into some burly she-hulk; you can apply the same techniques that bodybuilders use, on a smaller scale, to get the figure you want. I would direct you to Google these terms, even dare to venture over to www.bodybuilding.com, to get a better idea of how this works, as I myself have not reached the point of doing either, specifically. Look for tips on how to do it naturally. There are a lot of articles out there, and some lifters use things like Hydroxycut, etc, that venture into iffy diet pill territory... which I don't condone.

-Stop listening to your friends' critiques of your body. Your friends clearly don't know jack. Our society has had its view of a healthy body distorted from so many people being overweight; a healthy weight ends up looking worrisomely thin, to a lot of the now "average" people. If YOU know you are still in a healthy range (and at a BMI of 22.5, you most definitely are), then the only person whose business it is to be happy with your body is YOU.

Great post ^^^
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong here, but I think most people are missing the point - if I am the one missing it, feel free to shout at me and throw stuff in my general direction.

What I understood is the following:

OP has lost weight and is now at her ideal weight.
    Her upper body is lean and with a small concentration of body fat.
    Her legs, though, still have a high percentage of body fat.

OP knows that she can't spot reduce, but is now in a situation where if she loses much more weight she will be emaciated. On the other hand, she still has fat to get rid of.

If I got it correctly, this is exactly the same situation I am in now.

Facts that OP seems to understand:
    a) You can't spot reduce
    b) You can't change your natural shape

Question:
    How to get rid of the excess fat that didn't go away, knowing that spot reducing is impossible and knowing that further dieting at calories deficit will create an unwanted effect?

My answer would be the following:
    1) Work on muscle tone of the UPPER body to balance out the figure, so that the arms, shoulders and back don't look too thin and emaciated.
    2) Work on muscle tone of the LEGS: they may never become "thin", but a toned look is always better than flab.
    3) Eat enough calories to be at maintenance and make sure to eat enough proteins, clean foods, not too much fat, the smallest possible amount of sodium.

If I am wrong in any of these points, please correct me, as I am in the same situation and would love some help. :)
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I can help!!! I RELATE 100%!! I have been a BIG leggeded girl all my life and mine was due to muscles (and fat), gotta love genetics plus overeating. This is the first time in my life I've really gotten my legs down along with the rest of me. That said, my upper body is still "thinner" than my legs but I'm balanced and proportioned. I went from a size 16 pant to size 6 jeans comfortably and my upper body is a size 6. What did it for me?

1) Weights!!! Lifting heavy (for me)! I was always one of those girls who said she wouldn't lift weights because she'd bulk. WRONG!! This is the smallest I've been since I was in the 6th grade.

Mon and Wed:
    Legs--squats and goblin squats. 30lbs in the beginning, now up to 40lbs. 15reps. 3 sets.
    Arms/shoulders/back--15lbs each arm. Bicep curl into shoulder press and tricep extensions (while doing goblin squats), bent over rows. 10reps. 3 sets.

Tues and Thurs:
    Legs--Lunges and Romanian deadlifts. 30lbs in the beginning, now up to 40lbs. 15reps. 3 sets.
    Arms/shoulders/back--15lbs each arm. Lateral raises and side lateral raises (while doing goblin squats), bent over lateral raises. 10reps. 3 sets.

Fri:
    Just legs--squats, goblin squats, Romanian deadlifts and lunges. 30lbs in the beginning, now up to 40lbs. 15reps. 3 sets.

I don't go superheavy because I need flexibility and agility for dancing.

3) Cardio. When I do weights, I do them as HIIT. Meaning: I'll do 30 seconds hard rope jumping, then one set of movement, like 15reps of squats. Then 30 secs hard rope jumping, then 10 reps of arm weights. 30 secs hard rope jumping, then 15reps goblin squats. I do this until I hit all the reps and sets. I jump rope to keep my heart rate up and burn cals while I'm doing weights.

Every day, I jog 2-5 miles a day. Usually, 2 miles in the am, with the dog, then do HIIT/weights. Then 2 miles in the pm, after work. In the summer, I swam 45 mins -1 1/2 hrs 3 or 4 times a week. Or I do the elliptical. I clock at least 1 1/2 hr workout every day and then about 3-4 hrs Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

But, I really believe that it's the running combined with the weights that have gotten my thighs, hips, and butt down. I had a boyfriend who was a biathlete and he told me that running distance over time (rather than fast sprints) break down the muscle fibers and rebuilds them longer and thinner and he said something about the pounding tears the muscle fibers so when they rebuild you want to build them longer, thus running over times (I think of marathon runners, lean thighs). It made sense. So I run for time...at least 20-30 minutes a stretch twice a day.

I still have thighs, but they're not huge and I'm complimented on my legs all the time :) I hope this helps. It took about 4 months to see really definitive results...and that's working hard EVERY day.

I'm am an example of a woman who changed her body type...I've always been "thick"...I'm not anymore. My body looks VERY different. Also, if you look at my profile pics, the black/white dress and the green skirtini were taken when I was a size 8. I'm now a size 6, so even smaller (not even trying to lose anymore)...

WOW :love: I'm very admirative of your motivation and dedication! It makes me feel lame :bigsmile:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    EMBRACE YOUR INNER PEAR!! I have heavy legs too but the rest of me is ok. Yoga and pilates will help to elongate and tone but you pretty much have to learn to love what your mamma gave you. If they are toned and strong who cares how big they are! :flowerforyou:
    Noooooo... please not the "elongation"! :explode: Yoga and pilates will not elongate anything. Once you have stopped growing, your bones are a fixed length, and your muscles are a fixed length. Like any exercise, yoga and pilates will help you to lose fat through a calorie deficit, and they can help you to strengthen and shape your muscles (although not as effectively as you can with weight lifting).

But the part about embracing your shape - that's good advice. :flowerforyou:

Ah feck, totally worded it wrong, should have put 'gives the illusion of longer, leaner muscles' ANY eejit should know your bones wont grow with yoga but Ive slimmed down my thighs as best I can. I havent tried the lifting (yet) so couldnt give an opinion but Ive seen some AMAZING photos of the ladies on here. Please dont explode!
    I get what you're saying, but you'd be surprised at how many people do actually believe that yoga makes your muscles longer. Explosion averted. :smile: