Help What to do with 2 bad knees!

Options
Since May I have been exercising( for the first time in my life,im 38!) 3-4 days a week in a cardio boxing class which I love,Years ago I had some knee problems but I thought it went away,or at least got better,then my knees started hurting againg when I started exercising.Sore,swelling,and shakey making me want to fall to the ground.I went to see a Orthopedic and he told me my knee caps are way out of place and twisted,he said I needed therapy if that doesnt work surgery!Also the boxing was a bad idea because of all the twisting on my knees!I havn't lost any weight since i've been here on this site which is depressing anyway, but I do feel better when exercising and now I cant do that! What exercises should I do? I have a bowflex at home should I work just my upper body on that?Should I just walk(boring!) I'm just so depressed right now and want to give up because I can't seem to lose a pound anyway!:sad:

Replies

• Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have two bad knees too. I can however go on the bicycle. I just had to find the right gear to ride in, so I could go about 90min without pain :)
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Aqua aerobics are real nice for people with knee injuries.
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees and I do water exercise. It's a lot of fun, I get a good burn and no pain. I would check into a local YMCA or see if a school near you has a pool. Good Luck!!!
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    swimming :-)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My daughter dislocated her patella. Very painful. Require open knee surgery. No arthroscope option. Between naturally hyperflexible joints and land wrong on a short jump. Ouch.
    After the surgery, PT worked great.
    PT to avoid surgery is good. Do what the doc say, follow therapy. It will help build the muscles that support the knee. Hopefully that resolves it.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Knee issues here too! Especially feeling now that the colder weather is starting to creep in. The local pool has been my lifesaver as far as exercise. I can do laps, take water aerobic / water zoomba classes and most of my weight loss is directly related to them. My area has a lot of schools that have pools and they offer classes as adult ed, I chose a membership at our local aquatic center, and for the first time in my life, I've used it every single week! No wasted membership money.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have a Gazelle Elliptical and my knees don't hurt at all when I use it.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best. I know you think it's boring, but at least you are still moving! Also, punches are a great way to get some cardio in when you have a bad lower body. Not boxing, but punches.

Additionally, you could work on your upper body strength and abs with bad knees. If you get some resistance bands, you can work on your shoulders and arms while sitting down, and crunches just require a floor!
  • KristalandVi
    KristalandVi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the best thing you can do is to ask one of the trainers at your gym (if they're available). Another option is to go to a physical therapist and have them show you what you can and should do. If I had a little more information about exactly what is wrong with your knees, I could help more, but given the information? I can suggest doing exercises that will strengthen your quads, since the tendon that holds the kneecap in place is attached to them. So... lunges, step aerobics, leg extensions, bicycling, walking, things like that. Anything that makes you straighten your legs. Just start slow and light and work your way up, so your joints have time to adjust.

And, yes, you can still exercise. There are stationary bikes that are pedaled with your hands. There is weightlifting. Hiking, bicycling, walking, gentle yoga (some of the instructors work specifically with people who have injuries), situps... Just get moving!
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have a Gazelle Elliptical and my knees don't hurt at all when I use it.

I will say every time I have used an elliptical it has made my knees hurt even more.

Once the weight starts to come off, the pain in your knees should reduce.
  • mcpjan
    mcpjan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I too have two bad knees. I currently am getting the synvisc-one injections in both. My doctor says in about a year two at the most knee replacement surgery. That is why I am trying to lose weight so not to need it as soon. I currently walk, blowflex treadclimber and my recumbent bike. I also do some lifting. I have not found anything that doesn't work the knees but I can tolerate these the best.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    bad knees here too. got some metal in there. lost almost 70 pounds (45 since joining mfp) since january by walking, biking and elliptical. would love to swim but nearest pool is a 20 minute drive. it can be done! love my evening or early morning walks. does so much to clear my mind too.

focus on what you can do, not what you can't. that will change your attitude and outlook.

i have found that since my type of exercise is limited, i have to be VERY careful with my diet.

good luck!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Aqua aerobics are real nice for people with knee injuries.

swimming is a good hard workout without much stress on the knee. if the Doc says walking is ok the I would grab my ipod and walk
  • penrh44
    penrh44 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, sorry to hear about your knees - that is rotten luck.

Firstly, what ever exercise you do make sure you warm up first!!! I would highly recommend using powerplates if you have access to them, I find they help HUGELY with rehab.

Is it the twisting of your knees which causes pain? For example - could you perhaps try (all on VERY light resistance to start)
    1. Pilates/ Yoga - good for rehab and strengthening, make sure you pre-warn your instructor of this injury though to let them give you alternatives if any moves are difficult for you
    2. using a cross trainer which takes the impact out of running but gives you a great cardio workout
    3. using a rowing machine machine
    4. swimming in front crawl (much less intensive on knees) the aquafit suggestion was also good
    5. other core and upper body work but this depends on your GPs advice - are you supposed to keep your knees mobilised or try to avoid ALL activity??? This is very important to find out
    6. If allowed to keep mobilised then what about gentle walking on an low incline on treadmill - slow and gentle, may help to slowly strengthen
    7. If you use a bike, try using different bikes where you sit at different angles - work out which works best (if any) for you

I would also advise getting a good personal trainer if you can, not only can they suggest a wealth of exercises to suit your body and limitations, they will also closely watch your 'form' to reduce your risk of further injury. What ever you try needs to be in baby steps I'm afraid, your injury sounds serious and you need to listen to your body.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Pen
  • kattp07
    kattp07 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone,the therapist said not to do any leg exercises but what shes giving me for the next 8 weeks ,I have to streghten that muscle around my knee to try to pull the knee cap back in place?Swiming is a good exercise but I don't belong to a gym with a pool?My gym is really just for these classes I've been taking and they have a few machines.I guess I will try to just walk and do upper body exercises,thats better than nothing right?:smile:
  • Cougarita65
    Cougarita65 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have fluid in both of my knees, my left crunches quite a bit. I wear knee bands that have some padding right over the knee cap. I don't do any impact at all, if I do I feel it!!! I do the elliptical, brazil butt lit, slim in six pack, Jillian Michaels ripped in 30, speed bag ,& free weights. If any of my DVDs have impact I modify. I do squats & lunges very carefully.
  • lizzylily16
    Options
    Swimming, water aerobics, and moderate walking on softer surfaces than pavement (i.e. an oval track or a flat field of grass). Honestly, you should change your routine on here not to include your exercise for the week, it will adjust your calories so you will slowly lose weight by eating less calories, any exercise will just be an added bonus! That's what I do, and I've lost 4 lbs in about two weeks.