Eating problem :(

Options
I have a problem where I eat when I'm bored but also just because the food tastes good. Like today at dinner I had one helping and wasn't hungry anymore but got another helping because I liked how the food tasted. And I guess it would be ok if it was veggies or something but no this was a bad, cheesy pasta dish with 300 calories per 1 cup. And I like to eat a snack when I read (I read every day for 1-2 hours) or watch a movie because if I don't, I start chewing my nails and no, gum does not help. Any advice??

Replies

• greytuki
    Options
    Try sipping water and carrot sticks when you read
  • alanabeehave
    Options
    Try to focus on other things that bring you joy, rather than food..
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Tea always helps me. I 'budget' my macros to allow some real sugar and have Indian Chai to stop my cookie monster growling at me. The Chai is great because it is FULL of flavour and quietens my taste buds for the evening :drinker:
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    As difficult as it is, sometimes you just have to decide which you want more....the food or losing the weight. It's not easy, otherwise we wouldn't be here but if you know you're not hungry and you're eating it because you like it, you have to change your mind set. Only you decides whether to put the food in your mouth or not....I have exactly the same problem but I know I have to change my thinking. Just try a few times saying no to yourself.....it gets easier, especially when you feel proud of yourself for not eating for the sake of it. Good luck, you know you can do it, be strong :flowerforyou:
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. Carrot is your friend. So's cucumber cut into sticks, with some salt and pepper. You can eat half your own body weight in carrot before you go over your calorie goal, lol
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum or everytime you think of eating bad do 50 pushups. I used to binge it when im bored still do at times its a hard habbit to break.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Yep it sucks, but it's only a habit. You can break it, it's just in your head. I used to have to have a glass of wine and massive bag of chocolate as I watched TV at night. I decided to change that habit as I was getting a little porker and felt crap. I decided it was more important to me to look and feel better than to eat that chocolate anymore.

I'm not a huge believer in replacing that food with something healthier as I think that's not addressing the problem if I'm honest. I think you need to break the habit.

If reading makes you want to nibble, don't read, do something else for a while. Do anything other than the thing that makes you want to eat more. Go take a bath, do your nails, pay the bills, anything to start breaking that habit. It's just a mindset and your in control of it, chnage that mindset and you can change the habit.

Good luck x
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's kind of like smoking....you have to break the habit! I LOVE the taste of food and I also ate when bored. Now if I'm feeling like snacking I dip some carrots in almond butter, have a cheese stick, or some fat free popcorn. I would never want to discourage anyone from reading but maybe you will need to stop for a few weeks until you break this habit. Do 40 jumping jacks, 30 crunches, 20 squats, 10 push-ups...it' burns 100 calories and will take your mind off food! Good luck!!!
  • nanbarberma
    Options
    Maybe you went back for more pasta because, even though you say you weren't hungry, you just weren't satisfied. Try having vegetable soup or salad first, then you won't need as much pasta. Or have veggies on the side so your plate will have a lot of variety and all of your senses will be gratified.

Also, try putting all the food away after you serve yourself. That way, you can't go back for more without getting everything out again, and you may decide it's too much trouble. When you're done eating, clean up, turn out the light, leave the kitchen, and move on to the next activity. If you do that after every meal, it will become the new habit.

Or maybe plan to have a low-calorie dessert to finish the meal, so you can enjoy that for fewer calories than a second plateful of the main course?
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I just don't make those kinds of meals anymore. I just don't have the willpower so I make healthy meals that satisfy me with one serving (which is huge) or it's not a crapload of cals and no big deal if I have more. As for nighttime snacking I always save up cals for an evening snack and I just make sure I don't have garbage in my house so I'm not tempted. I like to snack when reading too so I have fruit or veggies.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I used to laze on the sofa nd watch tv and pick at whatever food i could lay my hands on. It was a habbit i had to break. So, i went out nd bought an exercise bike. Now when i want to watch tv or read of do anything that involves sitting on my *kitten* i sit on my bike and peddle. It has worked a treat!
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Gum doesn't help?!? Have you tried both the mint and fruity flavours?
    Otherwise, have veggies sticks around, or a few frozen grapes
    Try a tea with stevia for 1 calories?

You should also consider making lower calorie meals so that you can eat more
    Save the higher ones for 1 day a week!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    You're not alone in this BUT you do have control. Figure out why you're eating-if it's cause it tastes good all the time, think about how you're eating. Is it fast, slow, are you doing other things while you're eating. Try to give yourself enough time to really enjoy it and then it'll probably/helpfully help so you don't feel as though you need to eat more.

Ice cold water helps for me. Try not letting yourself snack when you're reading. Go outside or go someplace where there aren't snacks around to temp you After eating one serving, walk away for awhile, watch TV, go for a walk, work out. Snack on something hungry then think about if you truely are hungry still 10-15 minutes later.

Sorry, edited cause I just noticed you said you don't like gum-or rather it doesn't help.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    you already know what the problem is..Just dont get bored. keep busy
  • Sikanos
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am an emotional eater. When I get overly stressed (which is always being in college and working full time) lol. I eat everything in eye site. I'm usually not ever hungry, it's all in my head. It took me a while to realize and change what I was doing. When I sat down to read a text book, or write a paper, I was always munching on something.

NOW... when I have hmwrk or reading, I go to the library, no food or drink allowed in the library. Or. when i have reading to get done for an exam.. I take the text book to the gym, hop on the elliptical or treadmill, and I read while working out. Replace the food with something else. That is what I did and it has worked so far for me. You can replace the bad food with good foods like carrots, which will help save some calories. but it will not break the habit you have fallen into. Good luck! :-)
  • wishiwerefit
    Options
    I hv the same problem. Baby carrots really help