How long does it take you to lose 1 pound?

Options
Hi All,

Just wondered, how long does it take you to lose 1 pound?

I know the recommended weight loss is 1 - 2 pound per week.

I am only losing 1 pound every fortnight. What can I do to increase my weight loss?

I'm on 1480kCals per day and 6 out of 7 days a week I am within that limit.

My job is a sedentary job but I work out 3-4 times a week and at least one of those would be a HIIT.

I go walking in hilly parks / field at the weekend if the weather is good or even shopping, just to keep me moving.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Replies

• EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Nope you're doing everything right. I too have a sedentary job, my cals are set to NET about 1300 - 1400 each day.

I lose about 0.5 - 1lb per week too. I figure its better than a gain :-) you dont want to go too fast and end up on a plateau for months (trust me I tried it!!!)

Keep up the great work and you'll get there. xx
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I lost 4 kilos (8 pounds) in my first 2 months, but this 3rd month I've lost 1 kilo (2 pounds), on 1200 calories average per day and going to the gym about twice a week. I'm guessing our bodies just fluctuate sometimes, but I think 1 pound a fortnight is absolutely fine. if u post public your food diary that may help - good nutrients over processed food helps our bodies.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    How far over do you go on your over day?

How hard do you exercise?
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    How are you intaking your calories? I hear a lot of the talk about the small 6 meals/snacks a day to keep your metabolism up instead of three meals.. Making sure you eat breakfast to start the metabolism, etc, etc.. Anything you can do to boost that will help. It took mine awhile to even kick in, but once it does, the weight is a bit easier to drop.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I hear you on wanting to lose the weight fast, but I think you are doing great on averaging 1/2 a pound a week. I would say maintain your calories where they are and try to add a bit more activity or habits in your day that burn more calories. Walk more, stand up for 5 minutes every hour, etc.

The "move more" is my biggest challenge. I am good with the food plan. Work on finding/trying how to get that activity level up.

Are you sleeping enough?
  • joymelanson
    Options
    Try adding 2-3 cups of green tea to your day. It helps speed up your metabolism using thermogenics. I have tried a lot of them and I like the Twinings green tea with lemon the best.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The simplest answer is: just lower your calories

However! lowering your calories too much will probably be bad for your health. Also, every person is different, the metabolism is different and therefore the rate at which you lose the weight is different.

A few things you could check though:
    1) the calories you actually spend during workouts - the MFP data is not always accurate, so if your're using the MFP estimates, consider lowering them just to be sure. I'm over-exaggerating now but there's no way anyone could spend 800 kcal in 20 min of Zumba. Really.

2) look for hidden calories. For instance coffee drinks can be as much as 600 kcal per serving. And sports drinks aren't as good for you as you'd think...

3) how much weight training are you doing? I noticed that when I switched to mostly weight-training and kept my net calories the same then the weightloss became faster, AND more visible. I have a sixpack now! (my calorie goal is at 1200 but I'm 5'1 with a BMR at 1250... not much room to up it, really)
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    It depends, sometimes I lose 1 pound a week and other times it takes me all month to lose a pound. Sooo just regulate your calories the best you can and get in some exercise and in the end, all will be well. Even those little half pounds add up towards the end result. Good luck! :D
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You eat 500 cals less a day you loose a pound a week. Simple as that

So mathematically eat 980 a day and you will loose 1lb more a week

Thats the math, however the reality is 980 a day isnt good or enough. If you aren't working out your calories right and are eating much more then thats fine because you are still changing by 500 cals and will loose

If you are actually eating 980 ish calories it is not good and not enough, arguably neither is 1480 but if you are slowly losing weight as is, stick at what you are doing. Sucesfull weight loss is a long term lengthy business
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for 52 months Patience is the thing I had to learn last 5 or 6 weeks I lost one pound this week I have lost almost 5 pounds just on the brink of going below 200 will probably stall now for a month just to make me crazy Patience

PS I dont discuss calories or work outs as we are all different and what works for me may not be right for anyone else alot of experts want to tell you how what and why do whats right for you
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I know you want it to come off faster! Believe me! Faster isn't always better. Right now I've been averaging about .8 lbs so not even a whole pound but I'm getting close to my goal weight. The one week where I lost 3 lbs ended up being bad b/c I wasn't eating enough calories and I started to feel sick and then gained a bit the next week. Just keep up the work that you are doing!
  • juliesullan
    Options
    I've been doing this plan for about 3 weeks and I've lost 1 lb. The last time I lost weight (15 lbs.) on a 1200 calorie a day or so diet it took at least that long to lose one pound. Frustrating, but I'm going to keep going and see what happens. Perserverence is the key word for me at this time. Good to hear I'm not the only one struggling with slow weight loss :-)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Right now once about every 7-10 days
  • kittyraj
    kittyraj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    How far over do you go on your over day?

How hard do you exercise?

I normally go over about 300 - 500kCals.

Twice a week I stay in my 'fat burning zone'.
    Once a week, I do a high intensity cardio (often out of breath)
    Once a week, at home doing sit ups, dips, plank, push ups and working on the floor with my body as resistance.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Am I doing anything wrong?

Yes. Your expectations are too high. :smile: You have 14 pounds to go. A half pound a week is ideal for you.

Track your progress through how clothes fit, measurement and progress photos, not just on the scale.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady like my tortoise. He doesn't get anywhere very fast, but when I take my eyes off him, he disappears. My dog bounds around like crazy, but she never disappears. I want my weight to disappear, like the tortoise.
  • kittyraj
    Options
    How are you intaking your calories? I hear a lot of the talk about the small 6 meals/snacks a day to keep your metabolism up instead of three meals.. Making sure you eat breakfast to start the metabolism, etc, etc.. Anything you can do to boost that will help. It took mine awhile to even kick in, but once it does, the weight is a bit easier to drop.

Well, I don't like breakfast so I have a shake in the morning (about 200kCals)

Then I have a mid morning snack. 2 crumpets or toast with dairy lea cheese or sometimes I don't even have a snack.

I always have lunch, often a pre-prepared cooked meal. About 300 - 500kcals

Then I would have a snack at about 3-4pm about 200Kcals

I'll have a shake after my workout at about 7pm about 200kCals

If I'm hungry I'll have another shake about 10pm and then off to bed at about 12am. 200kcals. This is rare as I don't enjoy eating dinner and especially after a workout, I find it suppresses my appetite so I have a shake instead. It could be a protein shake, a meal replacement shake, any shake but they are all about 200calories.
  • kittyraj
    Options
    I hear you on wanting to lose the weight fast, but I think you are doing great on averaging 1/2 a pound a week. I would say maintain your calories where they are and try to add a bit more activity or habits in your day that burn more calories. Walk more, stand up for 5 minutes every hour, etc.

The "move more" is my biggest challenge. I am good with the food plan. Work on finding/trying how to get that activity level up.

Are you sleeping enough?

I get about 6 hours sleep per night. This is my 'normal' sleep. Even at weekends I tend to naturally wake up after 6 hours.
  • kittyraj
    Options
    Try adding 2-3 cups of green tea to your day. It helps speed up your metabolism using thermogenics. I have tried a lot of them and I like the Twinings green tea with lemon the best.

Green tea is my favourite drink. I have about 5 per day. I love Clipper or Japanese sencha or Chinese Prince of Peace Kuan Yin tea.
  • kittyraj
    Options
    The simplest answer is: just lower your calories

However! lowering your calories too much will probably be bad for your health. Also, every person is different, the metabolism is different and therefore the rate at which you lose the weight is different.

A few things you could check though:
    1) the calories you actually spend during workouts - the MFP data is not always accurate, so if your're using the MFP estimates, consider lowering them just to be sure. I'm over-exaggerating now but there's no way anyone could spend 800 kcal in 20 min of Zumba. Really.

2) look for hidden calories. For instance coffee drinks can be as much as 600 kcal per serving. And sports drinks aren't as good for you as you'd think...

3) how much weight training are you doing? I noticed that when I switched to mostly weight-training and kept my net calories the same then the weightloss became faster, AND more visible. I have a sixpack now! (my calorie goal is at 1200 but I'm 5'1 with a BMR at 1250... not much room to up it, really)

Thank you. I will try to do more weights. Perhaps that is my answer. x