1st 5K!!

Options
I'm running my first 5K tomorrow morning.....and I'm getting a little nervous!

It's gonna be cooler than I'm used to, in the low 50's. I'm not used to running without my music, either.

Any advice for this nervous newbie??

Replies

• semperfit1823
    Options
    carb load tonight.
    have a bannana and grapes 60-30min prior to the run.

and just enjoy it.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first tomorrow in what's expected to be rainy cold weather. A little nervous here too!

I like your quote. :happy:
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Terrific! Be organized the night before, set out all your stuff -- outfit, shoes. Follow the same eatting plan that you have been, don't make changes now. Is it a rule that you can't run with music? What about just one ear bud in?

Adreneline will carry you a bit - it's a great feeling to cross the finish line (I ran my second 5K this Sept).

Good luck to you!
  • jpomroy34
    Options
    That is awesome! Everyone gets a little nervous before a race. I like to look around and just soak it all in - the fresh air, doing something outdoors and good for your body/soul/mind. Run at your own pace. Everyone tends to start out fast and that can throw you off. As they say - run your own race. You are just trying to beat yourself. Good luck!
  • sldratt
    Options
    So, first - you have a lot going for you, as the optimal running temp is 55 degrees for your body. So you may be chilly at the starting line, but your body will adapt quickly. Second - running is 80% a mind game in my opinion...so I'd recommend you commit to a mantra today and when your brain is saying, 'this sucks, I hate this, and whose idea was this 5K anyway?"....go to your mantra. A few suggestions - "Find the relaxation in the run"; "Just Run"; "Find your pace, find your place"....these are some of the ones my group of runner girls use. Lastly, I also try smiling during my 5Ks...cuz really, you deserve to smile - you are running a 5K!!!!!!!!!
  • nbischoff15
    Options
    I've only done a couple 5K's, and tomorrow is my first 10K.

You will do just fine! 5K's are fun... try not to let the nerves get to you. You are only running against yourself - and with most 5K's there are a lot of people in the run - so it is tough to even know where you are placing or time-wise (that is, if you are that fast... I'm not that fast - I knew I would be middle to lower of the pack as to time).

So - recommendations:
    1. set out everything you need for the morning - your clothes, shoes, etc.
    2. get a good night's sleep.
    3. get up a little earlier than you think you need to, not sure what your 'morning routine' normally is, but no sense being rushed tomorrow just trying to get out of the house! Drink more water in the morning - since it is cool tomorrow for you probably won't feel like you are dehydrated, but your body is still using up it's reserves. :)
    4. plan for extra time at the run location - you might need to pick up your race packet, figure out where the starting line is, go to the bathroom, etc.
    5. try to pace yourself... a lot of times on the first run - it is easy to get caught up in the excitement and run too fast at the start.... take it easy so you can cross the finish line strong and confident! :)
    6. enjoy it - it is 'just another run'. Only more fun because there are a bunch of other people around you. :)

Oh - low 50's for weather.... not sure your 'normal' running attire - but I have found that I like a light zip up long sleeve shirt... as I warm up during the run, I can pull the sleeves up, or unzip a little for airflow - or tie around my waist. (Obviously, I have a tank or short sleeve shirt underneath). :)

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    You will love it and be hooked! It's so much fun to run alongside a bunch of other people, and it's even MORE fun to pass them! :)

Like another poster said, keep your pre-running food routine the same. I have messed it up before and it was terrible. I found that half of a Luna bar (but not the whole bar! haha) is perfect for me before a 5K.

You might find that you won't miss your music because of all the stuff going on around you. I had music for one 5K but not any of the others.

Enjoy yourself!! This is supposed to be fun, and you most likely paid a donation to run it? If so, pat yourself on the back for being a good doobie for giving to others AND giving a good run to yourself. Have fun and good luck! There's nothing to be nervous about!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    My wife and I ran our first back in August. As far as obstacles to overcome, it really was all mental for me. We didn't finish anywhere near first. There were a ton of really super-fit marathon runner looking folks. They fired off from the starting line and crossed the finish really quickly.

My thing is this...

We were running for us. We ran it because we wanted to have fun and be healthier. A ton of people run these competitively... try as I may, I don't ever think I'm going to be a fast runner. Doesn't mean that I can't enjoy finishing my first 5k. Go out, keep your head up, focus on breathing and pace, and you'll be awesome.

We're headed out for an 8k tomorrow.. over two huge bridges. I'm 1/3 nervous and 2/3 ready for that awesome feeling of "I totally just did this!" at the finish line.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    congratz to all the first time 5k'rs ... I'm running my first one tomorrow as well. This is gonna be so much fun....

I hope everyone has a great time at thiers and finishes strong!!!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Just go out there and have fun. I'm running my first half marathon next month, so I completely understand what you're going through!
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    you'll do good! i too am Doing a 5k next week (i know i want run the hole thing but i'll be running what i can). i'm also not to sure what to expect at suspose to be 55 degrees. last weeks 5k i wore a zip-up hoodie and took if off when needed. After a while once you get into it, you wont feel the cold as much. is there any way to get a cheap mp3 or something like it having the upbeat music playing helps you go faster and stay on track. good luck with your 1st 5k.. if your looking for more support you can add me.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My first 5K in the morning as well! Expected to be cold and raining here as well. First day of it this fall of course, my luck! I am only worried about it being cold and not being able to breathe because of asthma. My plan is if I have to walk it I will. If I come in last I am okay, someone has to. I wont be disappointed in my time or my pace because I will have completed it. Good luck to you! Layer up :flowerforyou: