Toning question... thanks!

Options
Hello Everyone!

I bought a home gym to use with my elliptical. It has the upper and lower body weights and equipment.

I am currently over weight (and consistently loosing) but when I hit my goal weight I want to tone and strengthen without looking ripped.

I have heard there are certain ways to tone and strengthen with these machines without building bulk. (ie, more reps, less weight or something like that) BUT I am a new to this and want advice.

Thanks!

Background info:

Sedentary calories (I am a student), working out on elliptical for 30-45 min a day, walking 10,000 steps and eating back calories... I am loosing 2 lbs a week.

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    INB4 the flood of people that tell you women can't get bulky cuase they aren't built for it and don't have the testosterone to do it.

lower weight high reps is a myth. It is best to lift on a proper beginner routine. Not sure what exactly you have to work with there. Below is a ton of info for lifting as well as nutrution, fat loss, etc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    INB4 the flood of people that tell you women can't get bulky cuase they aren't built for it and don't have the testosterone to do it.

lower weight high reps is a myth. It is best to lift on a proper beginner routine. Not sure what exactly you have to work with there. Below is a ton of info for lifting as well as nutrution, fat loss, etc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

^^This

It takes a LOT of testosterone to bulk up. I have raised testosterone (due to PCOS) but even that's still too low for bulking.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

^^This

It takes a LOT of testosterone to bulk up. I have raised testosterone (due to PCOS) but even that's still too low for bulking.

Most men wish they could bulk as easily as women think they can!

Hit them weights.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am currently over weight (and consistently loosing) but when I hit my goal weight I want to tone and strengthen without looking ripped.

I have heard there are certain ways to tone and strengthen with these machines without building bulk. (ie, more reps, less weight or something like that) BUT I am a new to this and want advice.

Unless you have unusually high testosterone or shoot up steroids, there is nothing you can do to get bulky as a woman.

If you don't want to look "ripped," don't diet so much that you get down to really low body fat percentages.
  • photocolorful
    photocolorful Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Women can't bulk. I bench 70 pounds, I curl 30 pounds, I squat 50 pounds, deadlift 70 pounds... I am not bulky whatsoever, my arms are toning and looking slimmer. Those women that look like men are usually enhanced through steroids and supplements and a vigorous lifting schedule. I lift 3 times a week. Women can lift heavy! Here is something that might help. Lifting will only tone you and reshape your body and you will see the results rather quickly. Things will just fit better.
  • kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    okay... good to know.

Thanks..I am totally new to fitness and I appreciate your responses.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    If you have a few $$$ buy the book "the new rules of lifting for women" it has so much good information about lifting weights and changing your body. This is what lifting low rep high weight did to my tummy after 6 pregnancies

11614737_2272.jpg
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    If you have a few $$$ buy the book "the new rules of lifting for women" it has so much good information about lifting weights and changing your body. This is what lifting low rep high weight did to my tummy after 6 pregnancies

11614737_2272.jpg

Yeah ^^^ Hotness. Go big and heavy.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

11614737_2272.jpg

But was it really the lifting or the fact that you can't eat because you have 6 kids?!?!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Start out with lighter resistance, then steadily increase it on the machine. You can use the notes section in your exercise diary to keep track so that you are steadily increasing it. Your muscles should feel good and sore each time - that tells you it's working. It would be impossible to gain big muscles on an elliptical anyway, even if you were a man. But the resistance is good for fat burning, so long as your diet is where it needs to be. Make sure you are getting plenty of protein too! Have fun!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

11614737_2272.jpg

But was it really the lifting or the fact that you can't eat because you have 6 kids?!?!

LOL 4 of those were as a surrogate mother....I only have to feed 2 and one is a teenage boy!!!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

11614737_2272.jpg

And I definitely agree on reading NROLFW. Even if you don't have the goal of deadlifting hundreds of pounds, there is a LOT of good info in there on women and muscles, fat burning and nutrition.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    <<<---- Lifting heavy, low reps. After one (long, miserable, 50 pound gain) pregnancy :). And I eat. A lot.
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bump... thanks!
  • mcdanielcypress
    Options
    My fitness coach and my personal trainer both told me the same thing a year ago. First: Control diet. Watch the kind of energy you put into your body. Second: to build bulk, more weight, fewer reps (enough weight to cause you to fail being able to continue at about 8 - 10 reps) to tone, less weight, more reps (enough weight to cause you to fail being able to continue at about 28 - 30 reps). Keep in mind that fitness is not a destination but a lifetime commitment. It takes time. Don't expect results immediately and you have to be consistent.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My fitness coach and my personal trainer both told me the same thing a year ago. First: Control diet. Watch the kind of energy you put into your body. Second: to build bulk, more weight, fewer reps (enough weight to cause you to fail being able to continue at about 8 - 10 reps) to tone, less weight, more reps (enough weight to cause you to fail being able to continue at about 28 - 30 reps). Keep in mind that fitness is not a destination but a lifetime commitment. It takes time. Don't expect results immediately and you have to be consistent.

Your fitness coach and PT are idiots.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Just work out. You won't get bulky. You won't get ripped. Getting ripped is hard as **** and many of us here are trying our damnedest for months to get there and working day and night at it. Trust me, you won't wake up one day and find that you accidentally became bulky and ripped overnight.

Just work out. And spend your time thinking about what you want to achieve, not things you want to avoid.