Should I be Jealous?

Options
First of all Jealousy is a very normal emotion. Secondly, my sisters and I have always compared stuff and made fun of each other for certain career choices, taste in clothes, ( cause I wear only skirts, and do not cut my hair). And comparison of material things. I have recently discovered that my two younger sisters (21,&19) are dating guys of the the richer status. My sisters and I came from a working family, and were taught to be independent. Well, I got married at 23, the 21 y.o. started her anatomy classes for her RN degree, and the 19 y.o. quit college for a while. Now both of my sisters are material girls.
Anyway, the 21, met her guy at a hot spot bar a couple of towns over. Now, this guy was born with a silver spoon. He is a farm fortune kid. He owns a bunch of car washes, has town house apartment , a huge Cummins truck. But, he likes nerdy stuff, not my sisters type at all. I think she likes him for his money.
Now, he has introduced my littlest sister to his best friend. This guy is some contractor from Virginia, he doesn't even live in our state! So, I think they are just in this to see what they can get out of it. I could be wrong. But, I don't even know if I want to meet the guys. Some rich ppl are rude, and do nothing but rub their material stuff in your face. I really can't stand ppl like that.
My husband works at a local car part plant, great benefits , and makes good money . You know good money for us. But, I sure do not want their rich guys coming in to my house and compare lives.
I know this sounds selfish, and totally not fair, but this is how I feel. These feelings are very hard to get rid of.

Replies

• Keightisgr8
    Keightisgr8 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Jealousy is normal, but you have to stop obsessing. You're caring too much about really insignificant details. Chill girl.
    Edited because my response sounded really cold, so I'm adding a "<3"

<3
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    so your judging the rich before you even meet them?? They could be nice guys.
  • running_mum
    running_mum Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    so your judging the rich before you even meet them?? They could be nice guys.

Yep! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this!!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It's really not about you and your life, it's about theirs. Not much you can do anyway, so accept it and move on. They could be very nice guys, you should at least give them a chance. If your sisters are really in it for the money, I feel more for the guys than I do your sisters. Let it play out, they are young. Not everyone will choose the life you have and that doesn't make them any more or less than you. Kinda ironic that you are judging them after claiming they would do the same to you.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'll start from the beginning of your post and make my way through it.

Yes Jealousy is a very normal emotion.

I was 20 years old when I met my husband who was 30. However we have a ton in common. And if you haven't met him yet then don't judge him. He could be perfectly wonderful. I've met poor people who have some sort of superiority complex. I've met rich people who do too. Try not to judge before you meet him. And truly if they are really happy together I would probably be totally jealous as she'll be happy AND won't have to worry about money. Nothing better!

As far as your youngest sister, well it doesn't really matter if he lives in the same state. Your sister may be willing to move. You might not think so but if she has even an adventurous bone in her body and at 19 she probably does then she may be willing to head out.

Now this is the beginning of the relationship for both of them and yeah it may not work out. But you might as well meet them and be nice. (not that I'm saying you won't be.)

I guess I can see what you are thinking about if your sisters really like to "one up" which can get really annoying if they do it all the time.

I can see it now, "Oh yeah sis, well your ring is really nice. That half a carat is nice. Oh yeah look at what -blah- gave me. THREE carats!!! Oh but yours is nice too."

LMAO...sorry.

Look, try to be happy for them. Money and riches DO NOT BUY HAPPINESS. It definitely helps but to be truly happy money just won't do it. You'll get lonely and may eventually end in divorce. Anywho, just remember that that you know you are happy and it shouldn't matter what they do. And if it does you may need to sit back and re-evaluate what you find important and why.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about status, as long as you're happy with your life then there's no need to be jealous about anything. Some people have it better, some people have it worse. Be grateful you have a husband that loves you and has a good career. As that seems to be far and between now a days.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    So, I think they are just in this to see what they can get out of it. I could be wrong. But, I don't even know if I want to meet the guys

I think it's sad you think so little of your sisters..

And no, don't be jealous. They might be fantastic, decent people.
  • jerbear67
    jerbear67 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It sounds like to me you are not comfortable in your own skin and you want to be your sisters instead of being you! You should be happy they have found someone in their lives. Set aside the fact they have money, do they treat your sisters the way they should be treated by not beating them, controlling them or putting them in harms way? If not then let them live their lives. I will tell you first hand that if they are only with the guys for their money the guys will see that and let them go. Your 21 yr. old sister is in school for her RN, sounds to me like she is still planning on a career not a sugar daddy. Your 19 yr. old sister is 19 she is still trying to figure out life has to offer. There is no point in being jealous it will only drive wedges between you and your sisters. It sounds more like to me that your mad not jealous that they have or have the potential of having something you want, which is money. Money does not buy you anything but material crap. Not all rich people are rude and saying I have thing and this, I do think it's offensive you say that. It's like the rich saying that the lower classes are winers always complaing I don't have this or this. You should meet them and make your "judement" based on them individually as people and not by generalizing them. My guess is they will surprise you! How would you feel if they didn't want to meet you because your husband's a blue collar worker? Be happy with the life that you have built with your husband, he loves you, you love him and it sounds like your not struggling to put food on the table. What more could you want? Your not hurting your sisters by being jealous, just yourself! I'll tell you what my mom tells me, it's time to build a bridge and get over it, life is much happier once you've crossed over the bridge.
  • ThePokemonMaster
    Options
    Well, working in retail I can tell you I meet a lot more snobby poor people with no interest to save money then I have rich people who have no concern for others. =/

I would give the guys a chance, they might surprise you! =) They could end up being fun brothers in law! =)
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You don't want them in your house, so meet them somewhere public to give them a chance? If you're right, then you don't have to see them again and they haven't been to your home, if you're wrong then you can invite them over
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Are you jealous? If so, of what are you jealous?
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    First of all Jealousy is a very normal emotion. Secondly, my sisters and I have always compared stuff and made fun of each other for certain career choices, taste in clothes, ( cause I wear only skirts, and do not cut my hair). And comparison of material things. I have recently discovered that my two younger sisters (21,&19) are dating guys of the the richer status. My sisters and I came from a working family, and were taught to be independent. Well, I got married at 23, the 21 y.o. started her anatomy classes for her RN degree, and the 19 y.o. quit college for a while. Now both of my sisters are material girls.
    Anyway, the 21, met her guy at a hot spot bar a couple of towns over. Now, this guy was born with a silver spoon. He is a farm fortune kid. He owns a bunch of car washes, has town house apartment , a huge Cummins truck. But, he likes nerdy stuff, not my sisters type at all. I think she likes him for his money.
    Now, he has introduced my littlest sister to his best friend. This guy is some contractor from Virginia, he doesn't even live in our state! So, I think they are just in this to see what they can get out of it. I could be wrong. But, I don't even know if I want to meet the guys. Some rich ppl are rude, and do nothing but rub their material stuff in your face. I really can't stand ppl like that.
    My husband works at a local car part plant, great benefits , and makes good money . You know good money for us. But, I sure do not want their rich guys coming in to my house and compare lives.
    I know this sounds selfish, and totally not fair, but this is how I feel. These feelings are very hard to get rid of.

Should you be jealous? No

Should you be more open minded and not so judgemental of others? Yes

YOU seem to have the problem.