Attn: American Muscle Car Enthusiasts

Options
Im_NotPerfect
Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
Yesterday I posted this:

"Backstory....tomorrow is our 10th wedding anniversary and next weekend we're going away to celebrate (read: NO KIDS). I thought as an anniversary present to my hubby, I'd rent a nice fun car for us to tool around in while we're gone (read: Car with no car seats). I found a Camaro (which is what I wanted) but it's a bit more than I had anticipated. Just wondering if it's worth it.... "

Well based on the answers and my own budget, I decided not to do it. BUT I have found somewhere that rents Dodge Chargers for a VERY reasonable price. My husband is VERY much into American Muscle cars, so I'm wondering what people think about the new Chargers, and might this get me the "Wow!" factor I'm looking for?

Replies

• KukuDan
    KukuDan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The problem with the new chargers is that they are 4 door, so a lot of muscle car enthusiasts dont consider them a muscle car.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Maybe the challenger?
  • ewl6850
    ewl6850 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    They are also heavy, so although they have a lot of power, they're not as much fun to drive as a Mustang or Camaro. I'd say see what prices are for a Ford Mustang GT, or a Dodge Challenger.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Options
    Unfortunately, being in northern Wisconsin, all of the sports-type, muscle-type cars (Cameros, mustangs, etc) have been sold to the florida locations of the rental agencies for the winter. I missed them by about a week. So...a Charger is as close as I can get around here! Hence, my dilema!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    What about the new Camaro SS?

Or a Shelby GT350...?
  • Wende3
    Wende3 Posts: 41
    Options
    I have a 2007 black metallic V-8 with a hemi. She flies. I say good choice.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Maybe the challenger?

Definitely the Challenger

Plum Crazy Purple, Yeah, I had to have a footprint gas pedal installed.- Joe Dirt
    di-2013_dodge_challenger_rt_colors-f089e0dcafc7e683cd9630a1b35f08ac.jpg
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    check the pricing for the new Challenger or a Mustang.

i agree that the new four door makes it less muscle car.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Options
    Thank you for all of the thoughts. If I could find something 2 door, trust me, it'd be my first choice. Unfortunately they're all pretty much shipped south for the winter. I think a Charger is the next best thing.
  • vikingchix
    vikingchix Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Depending on the type of Charger you are getting....you may be better off spending the money on something else. A six banger charger is more of a sedan than a muscle car. Just my thoughts as I LOVE me some muscle....and if your husband does too....while your heart is in the right place, it may be a little disappointing. Sorry....I don't want to crush you...but want to be honest.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    the modern chargers are sooo ugly. the classic ones are not :)
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Is it the SRT8,atleast?
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Depending on the type of Charger you are getting....you may be better off spending the money on something else. A six banger charger is more of a sedan than a muscle car. Just my thoughts as I LOVE me some muscle....and if your husband does too....while your heart is in the right place, it may be a little disappointing. Sorry....I don't want to crush you...but want to be honest.

This. Anything but the R/T Charger is not going to do anything to come close to exciting a muscle enthusiast. Before my Camaro SS, I had a Magnum R/T that would get up and go, but it was a beastly heavy, so I didn't really feel it qualified as any sort of muscle car.

Your heart really is in the right place, but the timing is bad.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, being in northern Wisconsin, all of the sports-type, muscle-type cars (Cameros, mustangs, etc) have been sold to the florida locations of the rental agencies for the winter. I missed them by about a week. So...a Charger is as close as I can get around here! Hence, my dilema!

Makes sense. I made the mistake of owning a Mustang in WI. Those winters sucked!
  • sconnell00
    Options
    Well if you can rent a SRT8 charger then your husband would definitly be in his glory with a muscle car. I have an SRT8 charger and the thing is a blast. Most mustang's and camero's cant even hold a candle to the power or speed of my SRT8 charger. I doubt the rental company rents these types of cars, they are more likely to rent the V6 models. Check with the rental company and see if they have one.
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Last time I came to the US (Florida) I had a 3 step upgrade to a Dodge Charger, for the cost of a one step upgrade.

Here in France I drive a 1.2 litre Renault Twingo. I absolutely loved that Charger - and made the relatives I was visiting insanely jealous.

Possibly not pertinent to the current discussion, but I just wanted to say how much I loved it. We arrive in Florida again at the end of this month, and if the hirer wants to offer us a similar deal, I shall jump at it - especially with petrol being so cheap in the US (we pay the equivalent of about $8.35 per US gallon).
  • B1gH0g
    B1gH0g Posts: 361
    Options
    Go on eBay or local craigslist and look for a late 60's early 70's project car. He will love it! Especially if you support him on the project.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Well if you can rent a SRT8 charger then your husband would definitly be in his glory with a muscle car. I have an SRT8 charger and the thing is a blast. Most mustang's and camero's cant even hold a candle to the power or speed of my SRT8 charger. I doubt the rental company rents these types of cars, they are more likely to rent the V6 models. Check with the rental company and see if they have one.

Come on to Florida sometime! I'm always looking for a challenge for my CamAro (there's no "e" in there) :bigsmile: My cousin has an SRT8 Challenger. It's a beast, but way too big for my liking. I've still got feelers out for a black SRT8 Magnum to haul the kids in, but they're getting hard to find.
  • sconnell00
    Options

Come on to Florida sometime! I'm always looking for a challenge for my CamAro (there's no "e" in there) :bigsmile: My cousin has an SRT8 Challenger. It's a beast, but way too big for my liking. I've still got feelers out for a black SRT8 Magnum to haul the kids in, but they're getting hard to find.

My car originally came from Florida. Yeah after I saw the post I realized that I spelled Camaro wrong. I have always been a Chevy man, but can't stand the Camaro or Corvette. The Charger was the only car that had sex appeal to me. I am always looking for a challenge too, but I baby my car and have no need to run it hard. It is not stock either, so I dont think it would be fair. I bought it for looks, the power and speed is just a benefit. The room I have in that car is great, 4 adults fit comfortable, in the Camaro 2 adults and 2 midgits, if your lucky. I dont like how small and cramped I felt in the Camaro, and no visability out the windows. My brother-in-law has an SRT8 Challenger and it doesnt hold a candle to my Charger in power and speed, and like the Camaro it is cramped in the back. As for the Magnum's, SRT8 or not, I think they are ugly. Different but ugly.