Do you believe in avoiding "danger" foods?

Options
I know most of us, females especially, have certain foods that just scream "OVEREAT ME"! Like you go in thinking just one is an option, and after that one you're left thinking about 10 more until that 100 extra calories turns into 1000 extra. For me, those things are cookies & cakes & snackcakes of pretty much any kind.

I have a very distinct past of this type of behavior. And now that I've decided to get back on the weight loss wagon & do this as healthily & as "lifestyle change-esque" as possible, I still find myself kind of afraid of going near those foods. Very afraid sometimes, actually. I don't keep them in my dorm, I walk straight past them at the cafeteria (I'm in college). And when a friend offers cookies or something, "no thanks" flies out of my mouth before I can even think. And its not necessarily difficult anymore, nor do I necessary feel fear when I see/walk past these things. I just can't stand the thought of actually eating something like that again, & then wanting more and more and ruining a whole days work (or even a week if it gets really bad) all cos if that one decision to have one once. Its like, I've been doing so well that even though I COULD have a cookie and MAYBE only have one, I don't even want to risk it.

Does anyone else feel the same? Or at least did you when you were first getting back into your routine after a bad slip up maybe?

Replies

• NatashaAkhtar
    Options
    Yes! i'm in collage too and i have the exact same problem :(!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't buy junk food for that very reason. Chips are my down fall. I could honestly sit down and pound down an entire bag so I don't buy them. For my husband it's ice cream and cookies so I don't buy those. I don't have a hard time saying "No" to sweets and the like (even chips some times). I've been in situations where a dessert was being passed around and I politely declined. Sure I got the "Oh! But you can eat that! Look at you! You're thin!" Well, maybe but I just choose not to.

I will say though that the only times I do eat chips and junk food to excess is when I go to my sister's house since she keeps all that stuff there. I usually raid her cabinets. She actually asked me if the only reason I come visit her is so I can have junk food and, well, what could I say? :laugh:
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have a moderation problem.... So it's not a good idea for me to have "danger" foods around.
  • ataylo30
    ataylo30 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We are like that, too. We don't keep anything "bad" in the house. I will say that, for me, it is best to have one, if I want, when I am out. For me, not having to give everything up forever takes the frantic pressure off. I know I shouldn't eat poorly, so I don't, 80% of the time, or any time my meal comes from somewhere that I control (like my house), but if I am at a bar-b-que and they have AMAZING dessert, or fried food...I'm going to eat it, I'm going to try real hard not too eat to much of it, but you better believe I will have some. That way the next time I crave it or miss it I can say, "What, i just had some of that two weeks ago!."

This works for me, because of who I am and what my goals are (to be healthy and aware). It may not work for you, but for many people neither will telling yourself you can NEVER have something again, human beings are perverse...if you tell us we can't do something we will invariably do it...maybe not today or tomorrow, but somewhere down the road. That, in my opinion, is why so many "diets" fail.

If you don't want it, don't eat it. If your natural reaction is to say no, say no...but don't let it haunt your dreams and wear you down...it's just a cookie, don't let it control you :happy:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I haven't had ice cream since June 2011, one month before my bariatric surgery. I've had many opportunities since the surgery to "re-introduce" it into my diet and have chosen not to. I can't control myself with that food so it's no longer a part of my diet. It may be different now, but I don't want to chance it. My advise? If it's a problem for you, don't have it around. Why tempt yourself that way?
  • jmuller06
    jmuller06 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    For me it's tater tots in the cafeteria here at work. I'd grab a salad for lunch.......and side of tater tots - everyday. Ugh! I stopped walking anywhere near the grill for a long time - straight to the salad bar and out. It's getting easier though.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Yes! i'm in collage too and i have the exact same problem :(!

PMSL - glad to see how much collage has been teaching you.

I do 'avoid' danger foods but I don't cut them out completely - or at least I tell myself I'm not cutting them out. When I tell myself I can't have something, I want it more.

I also find that things like cakes, crisps and sweets are addictive. Whereas if I eat better food I eat it and then move on.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I love sour gummy worms. Mostly I don't buy them, but every few months I'll be really jonesing, and I usually end up buying a small bag and polishing them off in a day or two (or sometimes a sitting...). As long as I'm not keeping them around all the time, I'm okay with the occasional splurge.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Danger's my middle name...
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin cream cheese muffins from Starbucks.

I don't avoid any food. I just eat it.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe in avoiding them. If I could eat things in moderation, I would never have become super morbidly obese.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I limit my exposure to food I can't stop eating, yes. I don't keep it in the house and I will buy a single serving if I REALLY want a treat.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I can't have Hershey kisses in the house....can't control myself :embarassed:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I absolutely believe in avoiding "danger" foods. For me it is Cheetos. Baked, fried, all natural, it doesn't matter. If that bag is opened I will finish it. If anyone brings them to my house, they will be taking them back home with them. I have a strict "leave no Cheetos" rule at my house.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Natural Peanut butter. I have eaten whole jars in less than 20 minutes.
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I try not to buy packages of trigger foods but if I'm on track and want a butter tart or cookie, I will pay the extra and get a really good one from a bakery. Moderation is easier when you don't have an entire package at your disposal.
  • shelleyspots
    Options
    Yes, anything with sugar in it is danger to me. I won't walk down the grocery store aisles with cookies or treats. I won't go near the ice cream freezer. There are NO, ABSOLUTELY NO, sugary snacks or soda in my home. If I go out for a meal, I say no to desserts or teats, unless I have planned to have one.

I allow myself a "splurge" meal once in a while (every couple of weeks) where I can eat a little more, or eat something I wouldn't normally eat. I plan it carefully and look forward to it. But I am in control of it. Example is pizza. I used to wolf down three or four pieces. Now I am very picky. I go out for pizza. Order my absolute favorite and have only two pieces. I also have just one beer with it. I have discovered that more isn't better, it's just more. After my splurge, I get back on my diet.

Avoiding trigger foods is a smart thing. If I could eat them in moderation, I wouldn't be overweight. Planning a splurge helps you decide to enjoy something in a controlled fashion, and not feel deprived.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we don't keep anything unhealthy in the house anymore. That part is easy since my boyfriend is on board and if he wants something bad he can have it at work or whatever.

Since I started this journey 4 months ago, I haven't had a cookie or a cupcake, which were my ultimate downfalls. I can NEVER have just one. However, ice cream is ok if I get the smallest they have (I can't buy it or I will eat it all) and other desserts in controlled portions. Pasta is tough because who can eat just 2oz!?! I've had pasta maybe once or twice in the past 4 months. So yeah, I avoid some stuff still.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Pasta is tough because who can eat just 2oz!?! I've had pasta maybe once or twice in the past 4 months. So yeah, I avoid some stuff still.

I still eat pasta, I have 75g (2.5oz) which is called as a 'portion' on any pasta I buy and that's plenty for me now.
  • Tinynski
    Tinynski Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't really avoid my "danger" food, which is definitely chocolate. I've just started getting used to the idea that I can have some but not finish the whole bar of it. I don't buy it in the house, so when a craving hits (and it hits hard!) I eat a piece of fruit or anything else. If it doesn't pass, I'll walk to the store (even in -35 celsius... crazy girl) and buy a SMALL bar of it. And better quality. Chocolate is seriously the thing that makes me want to... ugh! I'm a chocolate addict... Learning to satisfy the craving with smaller things is a challenge.