ideas

Options
Alright calling all you vegans and vegetarians out there and anyone else who has any good recipe ideas. I wanted some great juicing ideas for this weekend. I love juicing, but am a bit bored of the same ol'. What are some of your tasty favorite fruit and veggie juicing recipes? I am all ears ( eyes actually) :laugh: :tongue:

Replies

• jenbunboo
    jenbunboo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't juice a lot anymore, due to getting all the sugar and not much of the fiber. I'm more inclined towards smoothies full of all sorts of fun stuff. Heck, sometimes I roughly peel an orange, a grapefruit, and chunk up some pineapple and just blend that up. But, probably my favorite juice of all time was 2 apples and a big knob of ginger. The worst was when I tried to juice a potato. Don't. Just...don't.

What kind of a juicer do you have? Masticating? Centrifuge? It helps to figure out what kind of ingredients you can do best. Centrifuge doesn't really handle wheatgrass for example. Also, I highly encourage finding ways to use your pulp! Sure, it makes great compost, but I've seen fun things like dehydrating carrot pulp or making apple sauce of apple pulp.
  • chynatowngirl44
    chynatowngirl44 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get a masticating juicer but just couldn't handle the expense right now. So I have a centrifugal juicer and it works pretty well. How well does it work making smoothies with greens, I am a huge fan of collards, kale and beet root.
  • jenbunboo
    jenbunboo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I usually just toss those into my blender and go, but I've got a pretty powerful blender. What I'd recommend if your blender can't quite handle it is putting those through your juicer, and then tossing the pulp and juice into your blender to finish the job.

I've taken to doing smoothies with a couple handfuls of kale, a beet, a carrot, an apple or banana, and seeing what I think of it. Mix and match! Spinach has a pretty neutral flavor, kale takes a little bit of getting used to, carrots are great for adding sweetness without going all the way to a piece of fruit. Also, with smoothies I love to use frozen fruit, sometimes a little thawed, sometimes not. If you have bananas about to go bad (or find them cheaper at the grocery store needing to be used that day or the next) I peel them (when getting soft) and freeze them, 4 to a quart freezer bag. To save time in the morning, you can toss everything together in your blender carafe and put it in the fridge, and then just blend and go!

The pro-juicing arguments I've heard are that it gives your digestive system a rest. You don't have to do any work to get the food apart, you just drink and go on with your life. It is an easy way to get lots of vitamins and minerals. (I've heard. I'm not a doctor! I claim nothing. I just read. A lot.)
    The anti-juicing arguments I've heard are that you get all the calories from the fruit (veggies, not so much, with the exception of the sugar-y veggies) with none of the fiber. The fast digestion of the sugars without the fiber can cause your blood sugar to spike. (Again, I'm not a doctor, merely a parrot.)