Egg and Milk allergy

Options
Hello- I am about 3.5 weeks in and 5.5 pounds down (YAY!!). Anyway, the doctor told me earlier this week that I have an egg allergy and a milk allergy. He said to avoid milk and eggs as best as I can. The problem is- I LOVE dairy (well, cheese) and it is a BIG part of my diet. Every morning I have a Shakeology shake (made with whey protein, and I have been having this for breakfast for years). When I don't have my shake, it's usually an egg white omelet with cheese (did I mention I love cheese?). Lunch is usually a salad- with a several ounces of cheese, and then whatever I make for dinner with a side of veggies (usually with grated parmesan on it). Also, I hate salad dressing (Except for Caesar). I have already stopped putting milk in my coffee and haven't had any cheese directly, but does anyone else have these allergies? How do you eat? My IGg levels were not THAT high, so I am wondering is the little bits of egg/cheese I get that are in other things is OK (like the whey protein in my shake)? Obviously I am not going to go out and eat pizza and ice cream followed by a cheese omelet but I really could use come advice/tips for doing this. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Eggs I don't really eat, so you can live without them just fine. You just have to learn to do without them.
    Google vegan baking recipes. A lot of them replace eggs with apple sauce (you don't taste it).

I am lactose intolerant.
    MIlk can be replaced with soy milk, oat milk, almond milk and rice milk. Get the fortified stuff to get your calcium and vit. B12 in as well. There's also soy ice cream in most supermarkets nowadays.

You can also find "cheese" made from soy at health food stores and some supermarkets (google it, I don't know about where you live). There are quite a few different types of cheese made from soy and they taste really good.
    Parmezan can be made with nutritional yeast. Mix nutritional yeast and sesame seeds (1:1 ratio) in a food processor with a slight sprinkle of salt. It taste exactly like grated parmezan and is great on pasta dishes. If your supermarket doesn't have nutritional yeast, the health food store will.
  • HeyKatelon
    Options
    I too have severe dairy and egg allergies. My IGgs were off the charts, and I do have an epipen. I'm not much of an egg eater, but I like things with eggs in them, ha. I usually just avoid these types of things as best as I can. With milk, I was addicted. I LOVED it. But I now drink almond and sometimes flax. You can find goodies and ice creams made out of soy, coconut, etc. I really tried to eliminate all dairy and egg from my diet for 6 months. I slowly added things like cheese (usually sharp) and greek yogurt back in with no problems, and I've been okay for over a year. Honestly, once you get over it initially, you won't miss the milk.

Another thing, have you considered the allergy shots?

ETA: I don't really like the soy types cheeses, but that's me.
  • RonitMig
    RonitMig Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This was helpful. I keep almond milk in the house for my husband (he loves it) so I will just switch to that I guess. I guess the cheese thing will be trial and error. HolaKate, the doctor told me what you said- eliminate as best as I can for 6 months and slowly introduce back and see what happens. The allergy manifests itself as hives and my general allergies are bad too (sneezing, wheezing, etc). I do use Claritin and Flonase to help control everything but they really don't help anymore. I did allergy shots for over 5 years but never was successful (get up to a certain dose, maintain, go back 2 weeks later for another maintenance dose and then go in to anaphylaxis). Also, I just moved in to another state and would have to locate someone closer to where I live if I want to start shots up again (this guy is about 25 minutes away).
    Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it! Time to go google some recipes...