Afraid of cottage cheese...

Options
13»

Replies

• ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I get low-fat cottage cheese which here in Australia at least, is creamy, with small curds. It is not dry at all.

I have used it as a part substitute for ricotta in some recipes.
    In lasagne, make a layer of cottage cheese instead of white sauce and cheddar cheese. Because it is low fat is is probably not best where you need crunchy toppings.
    Use it on Mexican instead of sour cream (I also use Greek yoghurt instead of sour cream)
    I often have it for lunch, lots of cracked black pepper and tomatoes on crisp breads - that gives some crunch :-).
    Try it as a topping for microwaved jacket potato with lots of black pepper.
    I used to love cottage cheese and pineapple, haven't bought it for a long time, but you could do your own - buy unsweetened crushed pineapple and drain it (or leave in the juice depending on what the texture of the cheese is like) and just stir it in.
    I just searched my recipe collection but couldn't find anything with cottage cheese but I am sure I have seen and used it in quiche, and in fritters (ie small thick pancakes/pikelets).
    Use it in dips

Just experiment with it - it is bland so it takes on other flavours well. Think of it like a sort of ricotta or feta or bocconchini - soft white cheese, not chunky cheddar!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Just try it. It is kind of weird looking.. all lumpy.. and it's called "cottage cheese" ... doesn't sound very appetizing. Same with meat loaf LOL.

I eat cottage cheese just plain how it comes. Sometimes I will add a little salt but usually not since I already eat too much sodium as it is. I've tried adding random things to it that people seem to like... I've tried hot sauce, pudding mix, honey, different spices, fruit etc etc and I really don't like it any way other than just plain. I have also used it in my lasagna lol. it was fine. I couldn't really tell a difference between that and ricotta.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't care for it with fruit, but will eat it with black pepper and tabasco. As others have said it works great in lasagna, although I use half ricotta half cream cheese.

I never thought about having it with some Tabasco. I'm going to have to try that since I'm addicted to hot sauce haha

It's so freaking good with any hot sauce. Couldn't stomach cottage cheese until I tried it that way.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Peaches or strawberries with mine.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I always eat it with a little salt and pepper sprinkled on top or with pretzles
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    I like to dip things in mine as a snack. It tastes good to me plain.
  • LinFox61
    Options
    I could not eat it when I was a child, but now it is great! I put it on tacos instead of sour cream. A friend showed me this trick. I like it with chopped fresh tomatoes and peppers... the crunch of peppers seems to make it less mushy. I think if you put something with it, it is better, but I can eat it with steamed veggies as a protein. Good luck.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many great ideas! Sooo weird that it tastes good with both sweet AND savoury, I'd usually never pair cheese with fruit/sweetness!

Cant wait to try it now. You guys are awesome :smile: :smile: :smile:

Just a note...All cheeses go well with both sweet and savory foods. It's a classic combination. :)
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    HEY FUNNY!

I just got over my fear about a month ago. I like full fat better in taste. But am eating fat free currently (stricter diet right now)

Its like tiny fresh mozzarella balls in a sour cream like liquid. Try it with a fork, it helps strain the liquid.

Does not melt well, best fresh and all.

Found recipes that use in in cooking things like cheesecake (reduced fat) and pancakes and more.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    My two favorites:

LOTS and lots of ground black pepper. This is one of the reasons I got a battery powered pepper mill.

Mix one to one with a can of those mandarin oranges. I drain the syrup off first.

Make sure to try different brands. They all have slightly different tastes for some reason.
  • LinFox61
    Options
    everything is good with hot sauce, it is a food group of it's own LOL I ate 1/2 bottle once and got severe heartburn LOL but a big glass of water fixed that... unfortunately, it was on chicken nuggets, not so healthy as they were breaded...
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Try it on a baked sweet potato, or on a veggie burger, I love both.
    I also often have it with my poached salmon from marks and spencers.
    The only cottage cheeses I have found here that are really nice are Sainsbury's longley farm brand and Pic Frisch from lidl/aldi.
    Both are dense, rather than liquidy.
  • Julie7741
    Julie7741 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My mom adds tomato, green pepper, and a dash of garlic powder.
    I like it with fruit :)
  • sscad
    sscad Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My favorite was having it with cucumbers and tomatoes back in the day...but haven't had it for soooo long and was thinking about buying some soon to replace the greek yogurt I've been used to having (yes to the protein, but nah to the sugar :grumble: ). Saw some great ideas on here!
  • wigglemish
    Options
    There's this kinda weird but very tasty quiche kind of thing you can make with it too. Rather than using any pastry, cook up some pasta (whole grain works if you're being uber healthy), chop the normal veg you would like in a quiche such as onions, peppers, mushrooms, spinach etc, and some lean ham or rindless baking if you like meat, gently cook it all until onions are transluscent and transfer to a non stick quiche dish/backing pan along with the pasta. Beat 3 eggs up with some cottage cheese, pour over the top, (depending on your egg sizes you may want more or less, it's just enough to cover the veg etc), bake at 180/gas mark 6 for around 20 minutes. To check if it's cooked all the way through, take it out and give the dish a gentle shake. If it wobbles it needs a few minutes more. You can eat it hot if you want but, personally I prefer it once it's cooled, then you can slice it and it makes a great lunch box food :) Also, a lot less fat using cottage cheese than regular cheddar.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese every day as my afternoon snack with fresh black pepper. I need yogurt and cottage cheese to meet my daily protein goals. Sometimes I add chopped tomatoes, peppers, chives, herbs. I always like it with savory toppings rather than sweet. I usually get 2-4%, never fat free, larger curd if available.
    I mostly eat it on its own but I have used it in lasagnas and casseroles similar to how wigglemish described.
  • ymmasbear
    ymmasbear Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try drizzling it with a little bit of honey then adding a pinch of sea salt. It sounds odd.. but is seriously one of the most delicious things on the planet..
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Try drizzling it with a little bit of honey then adding a pinch of sea salt. It sounds odd.. but is seriously one of the most delicious things on the planet..

That sounds delicious!

I like mine plain with walnuts (if I want savory) or I add stevia and cinnamon for something sweet.