SORE muscles.

Options
Two days ago I started a whole body toning program with weights. Yesterday was my rest day and today is supposed to be my second weight day. My muscles are KILLLING me! I'm not talking a slight ache, I'm talking if I move the wrong way, I want to scream out in pain. Should I take one more rest day? Or is it okay for me to lift when my muscles are this sore? Any advice appreciated.

Replies

• VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    bump
  • TimTamF
    Options
    Leave 46 hours of rest between training the same muscle group. Having said that, light activity helps with soreness, as does a good stretch after working out. Supplement with BCAA's - they work wonders!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My muscles are KILLLING me! I'm not talking a slight ache, I'm talking if I move the wrong way, I want to scream out in pain. Should I take one more rest day?

Congrats! You're doing a good job on your workouts. I'd say pat yourself on the back but you probably can't reach it without wincing in pain. *snicker* I laugh because I know the feeling all too well.

If you're that sore then give yourself a day off. Take some ibuprofen and don't do any heavy weight lifting with those muscles, but you'll find that some light weight warm up type exercise will probably make them feel better. Don't worry, it does get better the more you do it. You'll be sore next time, but not as much. Each time the exercise will make you less and less sore and within a few weeks you won't mind and in a couple months you won't hardly notice at all. That's if you continually do the exercise. If you take a few weeks off for vacation you can get sore again but nothing near the level you're feeling now.
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yeah my abs have been killing me from Turbo but not anything I can't handle. i take it as a sign that they are still there :) Good work and I agree with switching up the muscle groups from day to day :)
  • skolvikes5
    Options
    Personally, I would say work thru it. I would also advise taking a cold shower after weight training to reduce swelling.
  • Jukeyju3
    Options
    Drink Lots of Water. Push the toxins out of your body. That is what is causing the sore muscles.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Are you injured? IF yes, then rest.
    If no, then work.
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Drink Lots of Water. Push the toxins out of your body. That is what is causing the sore muscles.

Wait, WHAT ?