Spinning - The Brink of Death

Options
So done a 40 minutes spin class last night, which almost took me to the brink of my death! Quite literally thought my legs were going to drop off and my face was on fire. Possibly the stupidest idea I've ever had!

Anyone know how many cals that burns?

P.s if you ever never 'spun' before, don't ever do it unless you are an athlete otherwise you will collpase, as did I last night. Oh and almost vomit in the process!

Tasty

Replies

• Helzonline
    Options
    Hi there, yes the first time at a spin class can leave you feeling like that. And you are not alone, just about everone feels like that the first time. My sugesstion to you would be to give it a few more goes before you wipe it out completely. I felt the same as you when I first started spin classes but now it is my favourite class. Maybe try going a little easier on yourself for a few classes and build up slowly. Don't turn the dial up so far and slow you legs a bit in speed sessions. It will come you just have to give it a few classes. Oh! and it takes a few classes for your bum to get used to the seat too...lol

But really it will be worth the effort in the long run as it improves you fitness pretty much faster than anything else and you will notice a difference in what you can do there and in other classes very quickly and depending on your weight, age etc you burn around 400 to 500 cals or a 40 minute class so very much well worth the effort. Cheers Helen x
  • tanyewest
    Options
    I know my bottom was a little sore after sitting on that horrid hard seat haha!

I am willing to give it another go after speaking to a few people about it, I know for sure that I have never sweated so much after a 30-40 minute work-out so I must have burnt something.

Thanks a lot for your help (: X
  • PaigeG
    PaigeG Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I teach spin and I will tell you to go easy on the resistance dial. As long as you are moving your legs, you're getting a workout. I wear my heart rate monitor and I burn almost 500 calories in one hour. I average around 450. Hope this helps. Keep trying and let us know how it goes...
  • melthomk
    Options
    Keep with it! Such a fantastic sport. And one of the few cardio workouts other than running, that you can just drip calories!! Everyone of my spinning experiences is fresh and new. It takes all the stress away and leaves me feeling shiny & new.
    You can't discount it after one try. Spinning takes 5 to 6 tries before you finally start to get the form right. Something else that really helps are the clip shoes. They make the ride so much better.
    Good luck.
    Melissa
  • ractayjon
    Options
    when I first took spin a few years back the instructor asked at the beginning of class who was new...when my friend and I rose our hands she told us -- promise that you will take 4 classes before you decide if you like spin or not....we promised, we did and Ive been taking them ever since....keep with it....its a great calorie burn. On my HRM I burn between 450-650 calories per class. (45 minutes)
  • tanyewest
    Options
    I'll stick with it then - I am just waiting for the numbness and bruising on my poor bum to go away.

She measured the way I was sitting and everything perfectly, but my poor bum on that seat is killing!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I went to a spin class awhile back. I hated it. I've never had my legs and taint hurt so much in my life. I can't possibly see how anyone that enjoys that class enjoys sex. Anyway, when I took it, I left 15 minutes early because I decided if I was going to enjoy sex again I had to get out of there.
  • JaneanAriel
    JaneanAriel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Anyway, when I took it, I left 15 minutes early because I decided if I was going to enjoy sex again I had to get out of there.

That was pure comedy! I don't think I could handle a spin class.
  • KathleenAGarrity
    KathleenAGarrity Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love Spinning - but yes, the first class I thought I was going to die, then the second class my poor little butt was like "Why? Why are we doing this again? What have I done to deserve it?" Lol. But I just stuck with it. After 2 weeks of wincing every time I sat, it stopped hurting and I love it now. I look forward to it. Its helped slim down my "love handles" and my theighs.

Just go for it! Dont be scared!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    hehe,

welcome to every single pre-season practice when I was playing college Rugby, you actually get used to the difficulty and you lose the extreme discomfort over the long term. Not that I would advocate most people going so hard that they feel nausea, but it's ok to push yourself very hard if you are otherwise healthy (not a bad idea to get a checkup before you do, and tell your doctor what you are planning). Those types of HIIT training can have multiple benefits to your health, including stress reduction (tough to feel life stress when you are fighting for every breath and feel like you are about to collapse), cardiovascular increases, and decreased blood pressure (among other things).

I yearn for those types of workout sometimes. And I do one about once a week or so. Generally I do a boot camp to get there that was loosely based on my experience in football and rugby practices, but the concept is the same.

You'd be surprised at how many well conditioned college level athletes used to puke after rugby practice (or actually during practice), so don't feel too bad, you're in good company. :wink: