struggling

Options
I don't know if any of you can help. But, I'm struggling to stay on course. I do well for stretch..and then fall off the wagon. It scares me because I've never been like this. In the past..when I decide to lose.. I put my mind to and get it done. I look around at people who are very overweight and I figure this must be how it happens.

Any suggestions? For now.. I'm just getting back to mfp and logging...try to stick to the number. thanks.

Replies

• caegem
    caegem Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think we all struggle! Key is to have good MFP buddies to keep cheering you on even when you suck!:drinker:
  • djk721
    djk721 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    it has to come from inside you. But, MFP is a great tool to keep you motivated. Go look as success stories and try to find one close to your situation. Don't give up!
  • stacivollmer
    Options
    I can totally identify with you. I'm going through a similar issue right now. I haven't struggled this much in the past when trying to lose weight, and like you said when I put my mind to it before, I did lose the weight. What's working for me right now is reminding myself that just because I slip up, all my efforts aren't lost. I keep telling myself that if I eat something I shouldn't I can always go for a run or hit the gym an extra time. Keep your head up! You can do this!!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to remember that whenever you fall off that wagon (or jump off...which I do occassionally) there's always another wagon coming right behind it. Plenty of opportunity to hop back on and finish the journey. :flowerforyou:
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Find inspirational photos or quotes you can put up that you will see any time you are not feeling motivated. Just letting your support group know you are struggling is a good step also. Partner up with someone that will hold you accountable and come up with small goals and stuff that you can push each other on. That might help.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I can relate. Being 49 it is taking a lot longer than when I was in my 20s, so for me, I have to be 100% dedicated, almost to the point of obsession. Low carb/high protein is working well for me, and I have filled my friend list with women around my age who are succeeding. The encouragement and inspiration I get from them has been vital to me sticking with this. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • Mywounds
    Mywounds Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For some reason I am also having issues this time with my weight loss strategy. Today I put a straw in my water glass and found it's easier to drink it that way. I made a pitcher of hot green tea and keep filling up a travel mug and drink as I go around the house.
    Also I have decided that every hour I am going to stop and drink that water (even set timer to remind me). Hey do you have a bike at home. Everyday at the same time we could each peddle for like 15 mins. In Alberta it's 12:00 noon right now. What do you think about that?
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You have to be ready mentally. You can do it.....lot's of people here to support you.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Everyday I struggle with SOMETHING. Breaking 28 years worth of bad habits is the hardest thing I've ever done. Sometimes I mess up, but usually I don't. Honestly, one of the main reasons I've kept up with it this long is because my food diary is public. I don't want my MFP friends to see that I've eaten a pint ben and jerry's! If I would be embarrassed about eating something, I don't eat it. It has worked thus far, and now that I'm more than halfway to my goal, I can't turn back! That's also what keeps me on track.

There's so many days where I think I would die if I ate another vegetable, or I'm just so sick and tired of being hungry all the time (I'm not REALLY, just not stuffed all the time like I used to be), too tired to work out, I'm on my period so I need ice cream, etc. You just gotta stare these challenges right in the face and know that your determination to be drop dead sexy is stronger than any of these temptations!

I know I know, easier said than done, but just try it. It's really empowering, and soon enough you'll come so far that it's impossible to turn back.
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I went through a week recently where I was really depressed and just hated the whole thing. I persevered though and my motivation just eventually came back on its own. I'm sure it'll happen again. I have no gems of wisdom for you, just that you're not alone!
  • buggoadams
    Options
    baby steps. take the steps and your body will follow. Like it may be crazy, but if i commit to 5 minutes of excercise, i usually do more and always feel good about myself because i kept the goal. do the smalleast thing. like...i am going to eat one apple a day. that one apple made me want to do better and lead to 60 lb weightloss. by being honest with everything you eat (myfitnesspal.com) i saw holy cow....i ate 4,000 calories today (truth) and it affected me enough i ate 1,300 calories less.You can do this. your health and your life is worth it!