Runners - shoe & gear question

Options
I am a new (returning?) runner - ok I can't even call if "running" yet, but I am doing it (Week 6 of C25K program). I am even signed up for a 5k in November. So 2 questions:

1) I am going to a local shop to get fitted - any advice on what I should know, look for, look out for, etc.?

2) Gear for cooler weather. It is starting to get chilly out. I typically wear a short sleeved wicking/tech shirt and capri pants - very comfy, but what can I add for warmth that won't make me too hot, etc.? Do I just need a long sleeved T or a pullover?

Much thanks!

Replies

• wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You are a runner. Go ahead and call yourself that. Never seen a minimum mile or time requirement. If you're doing it, then you're doing it.

1) Already making the right move. Just make sure they look at your gait. In an ideal world they will film in on a treadmill and can explain it to you - but that isn't always possible. Ask them why they are recommending a particular shoe for you. Ask them if you overpronate, are neutral or supinate. Just their ability to answer (even if you don't know what they are saying) will tell you a lot.

2) Layers of wicking fabrics. Once temps get into lower 40s I often go to long sleeve shirts. I add a vest in the 30s and light gloves. Hat below freezing or close or windy days works for me. You'll experiment and get used to it. But layers of thin materials.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Try running barefoot before you buy into the running shoes game - you may save yourself a few $$$.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner. Bumping for info :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Unless you're walking, or skipping, you're running.

Go with your gut. As it was put to me by the sales rep I trust... "the right shoe will fit your foot like a slipper". I got a completely different shoe than I was expecting and I have no regrets.

As for cold weather gear, I guess it depends on how cold you expect it to get, and how well you deal with the cold. My norse blood gives me +50 cold resistance so I could probably run in a t-shirt and capris in the dead of our New England winter. The tech shirt sounds just fine especially for fall. If it gets too cold for that to suffice, then you might want to try for full leggings and perhaps a vest that you can layer over your tech shirt. You'll also definitely want either a beanie or a headband to keep your ears warm, and probably gloves, if you don't have pockets to warm your hands.
  • livingdeadbuddha
    livingdeadbuddha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You are a runner when you run. Welcome to the fold (I like to call myself a common jogger, but there's a long story behind that!).

You are doing the right thing by getting shoes fitted, but as one of the posters said you might want to consider minimalist / barefoot -- which is how I have run injury free for the last year. It's not for everyone, but I've had three knee surgeries, and I have found I have no pain if I wear minimalist vs. padded shoes -- my husband would say the opposite. Observe and love your body through the beginning stages.

You want to layer wicking materials, but if you like a sanity check you can use http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0,00.html

Hope this helps!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Try running barefoot before you buy into the running shoes game - you may save yourself a few $$$.

If you're going to run barefoot try to avoid broken beer bottles :laugh:

Seriously though, I haven't gone to barefoot running or using minimalist shoes but despite all the "advances" in running shoe technology the rates of injuries amongst runners has remained relatively unchanged over the last 30 years or so. Whether you opt for minimalist or conventional footwear learn to run using good form - mid foot strike, don't extend your forward foot too much ahead of your body.

When properly dressed you can run very comfortably all year 'round (someone who had lived in Alaska chimed in on another thread). Think layers!
  • andreajp
    andreajp Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you are lucky enough to get a sales person that can help fit you that is the best bet. Barring that...here is my method for trying on running shoes:

Pick out five or more pair of shoes to try on.
    Try one shoe from Pair 1 on one foot and one shoe from Pair 2 on the other
    Discard the least comfortable one
    Try on one shoe from Pair 3 on foot you just removed the discarded shoe (sorry that is an awkward sentence....)
    Discard the least comfortable
    Try on one shoe from Pair 4 on foot you just removed latest discarded shoe
    And so on until you are left with the most comfortable shoe. Then try on it's mate and see how they both feel.

It helps to know what type of foot you have and find brands that accommodate your particular foot shape/personality. I have high insteps and I know that Saucony and Asics work best for me. I had a great sales person point me in the right direction (and actually had me do the above method of trying on shoes).

Another thing I always do buy a good pair of innersoles and replace the ones that come with the shoes.

I used to run all the time (a few years ago) and just started up again this week (Couch to 5K).
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    1) great first step!
    The local running store here measured both of my feet while sitting and then while standing (length and width), they had me walk away from them and toward them, as well as jog. They pulled several pairs of shoes, had me try them on and I was able to jog around the parking lot to see how they felt, and then they showed me different inserts. Our store has a great return policy within 30 days, so make sure you check that out, too!

2) You'll have to play this by ear.
    I tend to get really hot about a half mile into a run...like REALLY hot, so even if it's really cold here, i end up in capris/tank top or one layer of UA's cold weather long sleeved shirts, but I start with a light jacket that I can tie around my waist (oh, even in a tank top, I'll sometimes end up wearing gloves/ear warmers)
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I just started running too, week 8 of my couch to 5K, already had a couple of rain runs so far here in Chicago. Can't wait for the 20 degree stuff so see how I handle it! All I have been doing is put on a ball cap, sweat pants and a sweat shirt. Works for me!
  • secretlobster
    Options
    2) You'll have to play this by ear.
    I tend to get really hot about a half mile into a run...like REALLY hot, so even if it's really cold here, i end up in capris/tank top or one layer of UA's cold weather long sleeved shirts, but I start with a light jacket that I can tie around my waist (oh, even in a tank top, I'll sometimes end up wearing gloves/ear warmers)

Yeah same here, I start a run in 40 degrees thinking it's cold out and then a half mile later I'm wishing I just wore a tank top :) Good idea to bring a light jacket that can be removed
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

Seriously though, I haven't gone to barefoot running or using minimalist shoes but despite all the "advances" in running shoe technology the rates of injuries amongst runners has remained relatively unchanged over the last 30 years or so. Whether you opt for minimalist or conventional footwear learn to run using good form - mid foot strike, don't extend your forward foot too much ahead of your body.

When properly dressed you can run very comfortably all year 'round (someone who had lived in Alaska chimed in on another thread). Think layers!

Agree with this. Barefoot works for many, but not for everyone. It's important to do what works for YOU and keeps YOU free from injury. When they tell you what your gait is at the store they'll probably offer you a few different choices to try on. That's when it's important to start jogging around the store with them. Also I resisted it for a long time, but running socks are not a bad idea. I got some online that were a pair of 3 for $10. Not super cheap, but I think it helps. AND I added insoles (superfeet) because I have a lot of heel issues (wear the superfeet in a lot of my normal shoes too).

Can't add much on the cold weather, I jog in shorts and t-shirt year round. But then it only gets into the 50's here at the lowest when I am out jogging. I have a pair of longer pants and a light jacket for the occasions that it rains and is also cold. The runner's world article linked above is really helpful.
  • delta90017
    Options
    A good running store will have a treadmill in the store and will talk to you about how much you pronate. If not, find a different store that specializes in running.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

You can usually see things like broken bottles, sharp stones etc long before you step on them - unlike some dog poop! Eeeew!

Seriously, you do develop foot radar after a short while running barefoot. Totally agree - learn good footfall form whichever way you decide to go.
  • vivalawvegas
    vivalawvegas Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try on multiple pair to really get a sense of the differences. A good store will film you on a treadmill to get an accurate view of your gait.

It gets into the 30-40's on average here and I do full leggings and long-sleeved tech tee and a vest. If it is *really* cold for some reason, I'll do a full pullover but that's rare. I hate cold ears, though, so I wear a fleece ear band.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the other posters about getting fitted.

As for cold-weather running, if you're chilly at the beginning you should generally just try to deal with it and see how you feel after about 5 mins. I don't transition to colder weather gear until it's COLD out. I'll probably stay in my capri tights and a tshirt/tank top until its in the 30's out, then I'll add a long sleeved sweat-wicking jacket, and probably gloves and a ear-cover headband. I might even get the gloves and headband before the jacket (but I do look forward to having pockets!). Then, when it's REALLY cold I switch to cold-weather tights and add a weather proof vest over the light jacket. Don't let cold-weather tights trick you- they look like regular old compression tights, but they have a layer of fleecy material on the inside and they are REALLY warm. You don't want to wear them too early in the year or you'll feel like you're suffocating. The ones I wear are nike, but I think all the major brands have cold-weather specific tights. The final step is adding a faux turtleneck thing (I don't know what they're called- muff maybe?) when the cold is bitter enough that it hurts my lungs to breathe. Breathing through the fabric traps the moisture from your breath and saturates the air so it doesn't hurt. And vaseline on my nose. That's like January-February in my neck of the woods though. Until it's below freezing my suggestion is to start in something where you're chilly at the beginning- you'll warm up in a few minutes of running.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I went to the local running store yesterday and they filmed me walking and running on the treadmill and found me a pair of Asics that fit my gait really well and are nice and "bouncy" - not sure why, but I like that cushioned feeling.

I also picked up a nice long sleeved tech shirt with a zip up collar and the little holes in the sleeve for your thumbs - brilliant! I think I will pick up a vest when it gets cooler - it is only in the low 50s here in the mornings. I would like to keep going outside as long as I can!

Can't wait to try out the shoes tomorrow for my first "long" run of 25 minutes! Less than 4 weeks until my "first" 5k!
  • valerieg78
    valerieg78 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I went to the local running store yesterday and they filmed me walking and running on the treadmill and found me a pair of Asics that fit my gait really well and are nice and "bouncy" - not sure why, but I like that cushioned feeling.

I also picked up a nice long sleeved tech shirt with a zip up collar and the little holes in the sleeve for your thumbs - brilliant! I think I will pick up a vest when it gets cooler - it is only in the low 50s here in the mornings. I would like to keep going outside as long as I can!

Can't wait to try out the shoes tomorrow for my first "long" run of 25 minutes! Less than 4 weeks until my "first" 5k!

Fun!! I love the tech shirts with thumbholes though sometimes they kind of irritate the webbing begween my thumb and index finger. Enjoy your new gear :)
  • spotdog14
    Options
    I am a new (returning?) runner - ok I can't even call if "running" yet, but I am doing it (Week 6 of C25K program). I am even signed up for a 5k in November. So 2 questions:

1) I am going to a local shop to get fitted - any advice on what I should know, look for, look out for, etc.?

2) Gear for cooler weather. It is starting to get chilly out. I typically wear a short sleeved wicking/tech shirt and capri pants - very comfy, but what can I add for warmth that won't make me too hot, etc.? Do I just need a long sleeved T or a pullover?

Much thanks!

For 1, I would probably try 2 or 3 pair of running shoes before you settle on a pair. Some stores let you return them some don't. It look me a very long time to finally find a pair that didn't give me shin splints then I stuck with them once I could them. I really like New Balance and will probably never get a different brand, some people like Nike, others Adidas its just all personal preference but I swear by my New Balance MO10's and 310's.

2. Again personal preference, are you a cold runner or warm? I usually dress like its 20 degrees warmer outside, so for instance when its 35-40 out ill wear my regular shorts, a Nike Pro Combat t-shirt and a long sleeve 1/4 zip so I can un zip it if it gets too warm. Depending on wind I might also wear gloves or a head band.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Hello new runner! Welcome to a totally fabulous form of exercise! : )

To answer your questions I would go to a store that does 'gait analysis' you can phone them beforehand to find out if they do this. Runners Needs outlets do this but you should also find outlets close to you that will also. Expect to spend around £100 for a decent pair of running shoes (trust me, going cheap on running gear does make a detrimental difference).

Clothes...when I started running I went in something not dissimilar to pair of pyjamas, but gradually as my enthusiasm (and ability) of running grew so has my dedicated wardrobe. In deepest darkest winter, my one saving grace is my gloves. I'd also wear long running tights and a long sleeved top but basically getting out the house and being freezing is a sure fire motivator to get you moving asap to warm up!

Best of luck with it and well done on all your progress so far! :flowerforyou: