Magnesium Deficiency - Anxiety Disorder?

Options
Anyone know the facts on this? Saw a pubmed that agreed that adhd and anxiety are linked to magnesium, just wanted to know if anyone read differently.

Replies

• SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I would also be very interested to hear about this. Thanks for posting.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Yep. I was having anxiety and insomnia issues (as well as REALLY bad PMS symptoms) and found that all of them are associated with magnesium deficiencies. I started taking a cal-mag supplement (as well as a B complex) and it was like night and day how much better all those issues were.
  • BH_Holl
    BH_Holl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    FWIW, when I was eating low carb.... I used to have MAJOR anxiety attacks... Afraid to fall asleep at night because you might die type of anxiety attacks... :frown: After ditching low carb... I have been anxiety attack free. :smile:
  • DeckerDoll
    Options
    All I know (as someone that does tend to struggle with anxiety) is that magnesium helps me sleep and THAT is what makes my days better.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    Not likely linked. Link to the PubMed?
  • jcm529
    jcm529 Posts: 36
    Options
    bump for more info
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    FWIW, when I was eating low carb.... I used to have MAJOR anxiety attacks... Afraid to fall asleep at night because you might die type of anxiety attacks... :frown: After ditching low carb... I have been anxiety attack free. :smile:

Hm, odd, I think I have less anxiety on low carb. I do take a multivitamin, not sure if it meets my magnesium needs or not. However, next time I feel extra anxious, I might try taking it and see how it goes.
  • fitsin10
    fitsin10 Posts: 141
    Options
    very interesting indeed!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear more on this as I know several people who struggle with this.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i would love to hear more on this also as i have anxiety and depression.....would be nice to not have to take prescription meds anymore ugh
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a connection between magnesium and ADHD and anxiety, but please don't start taking magnesium supplements without consulting a doctor. You can mess up the balance of zinc and magnesium, and probably some other minerals, as well.

A safe way to get some extra magnesium and relieve the stress and anxiety in your life is to take occasional Epsom salt baths. Add enough Epsom salt to a hot bath to make the water seem "soft", or whatever the instructions on the box direct you to use. Your skin will absorb magnesium as you soak in the water, and you'll find yourself more relaxed afterward. You are unlikely to absorb enough magnesium to create a mineral imbalance the way you would with oral supplements, unless you go way overboard and abuse this. Don't do that.
  • DeshotelK
    DeshotelK Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I suffer from panic attacks and generalized anxiety. I was on medication for a little over a year, but didn't like the side effects. After roughly 7 months of being off of the medication the panic attacks and anxiety started back up again. I did some research and found that there was a link between magnesium deficiency and anxiety. I really did not want to get back on medication so in addition to my daily multi-vitamin, B-complex, and fish oil, I added 400mg of Magnesium Glycinate. After a week, I started feeling a little better. After a month, I was almost anxiety free. I still have some small anxiety issues, but I have not had a panic attack since starting the magnesium glycinate.

Don't know if this helps you or not, but I thought it was worth a try and I'm glad I did it.

Edit: This was also approved by my family physician.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Magnesium does work on your nervous system (among other systems), so yep.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I also take "One A Day Men's" multivitamin and it already contains Magnesium in it. Try taking a multivitamin in addition to Omega 3 fish oil on a daily basis to see if your Anxiety ever comes back. Also, never buy your multivitamins from GNC as they tend to put 3000% of your daily value in a pill. I don't know why they do that but it makes you sick when you take those type of pills. Get your vitamins from your local grocery store so you won't have to deal with those insane dosage amounts.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The cool part is that the best sources of magnesium are also some of the healthiest foods you can eat for a whole bunch of other useful nutrients. Nuts, legumes, seeds, seafood, leafy green vegetables, and grains.

Pecan-encrusted salmon and spinach salad, anyone? There's your magnesium supplement, right there.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    The cool part is that the best sources of magnesium are also some of the healthiest foods you can eat for a whole bunch of other useful nutrients. Nuts, legumes, seeds, seafood, leafy green vegetables, and grains.

Pecan-encrusted salmon and spinach salad, anyone? There's your magnesium supplement, right there.

Right on.
  • babsie11
    babsie11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes Magnesium does help.. i take Magnesium Citrate.. it also helps regulate other things!!.. i take one in the AM and one PM..
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I need to look into this
  • dawten
    dawten Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump for later