BMR and TDEE Peoples - I need you help!

Options
Hi... I've been on here for just over a month now, and I was doing the 1200 a day, which was fine as far as food - I wasn't struggling at all. Didn't feel hungry etc. But, I only lost 2.8kg in the 4 weeks, and now have started putting it back on! I exercise 4-5 days per week for 1 hr, and am really devo that the scales are heading back up. I have been in limbo like this for the past 6 or so months, before I bothered to count calories - I keep fluctuating between 82kg and 78kg.... so I was thinking about trying this eating for you BMR or 20% then your TDEE thing... I just want to know how many of you eat this way, and what sort of success/results are you seeing? I am terrified that if I up my calories like that I will end up heavier altogether. And also - I am worried that I will work it out wrong - so can someone tell me how much I should be eating... and do you re-evaluate as you lose weight - if so how often do you recalculate your calories?? Sorry for all the questions!! Just trying to find the best way to do this!
My stats are weight: 79.5kg (175lb approx)
height: 169cm (5ft 6.5')
and I'm female....

Please give me some advice!

Replies

• sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, your not eating enough at 1200 cals. Read The Smarter Science of Slim by Jonathan Bailor.
    And go check out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I've been eating around my BMR (~1550) + exercise calories for just over two months and lost 11 pounds. Since that is over half of what I have to lose to be "fit" that is a great accomplishment! No plateaus, no hunger. I try to keep my net carbs under 100g a day, and my protein over 100g a day. Sometimes I eat a lot and exercise a lot, sometimes I eat less and I'm completely sedentary. The last week, I haven't logged at all and I've been eating out and drinking almost every day, making decent but not great choices, and I lost another half a pound. I think that this is because I have been so close to my BMR for so long, my body actually appreciated the bump up closer to my TDEE.

The thing is, is that you will lose weight either way, but it is WHICH weight you will lose. Most of my loss has been fat at 1lb a week, which I know because I track body fat percent.
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Personally I dont think your eating enough. I eat more to weigh less now as I have spent many years starving my body and its now working for me.

I eat 2000 cals a day which is above my bmr and under tdee and i work out moderately a week and have it set to lose 20% body fat. It took my body 8 weeks to adjust and i only lost a few lbs in that time. I have lost about 1b a week this past few weeks which is great bu the biggest thing for me is ive lost 26.5 inches off my whole body since i started in August. I cycle and I lift weights.

i would get rid of the scale and use tape measure

I went on this site to work out my cals http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

hope this helps
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I used 1.4 for your activity level.
    If you would like a spreadsheet of your very own to mess with you can download the one I use here:
    https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3kFzsaVmRjmd1k4YjA1SlVWaFU/edit

BMR 1,552
    Maintenance 2,172
    Cut (@ 15%) 1,847
    Build (@ 15%) 2,498
  • vjochum
    vjochum Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I understand where you are coming from. I use the BMR method, FINALLY!!...after being so afraid to up my caloric count.
    Here is my story in brief. Wad doing the 12000 perday, felt fine, exercised but after 30 did not lose even one pound. My doctor
    told I was starving myself but of course WHAT DOES SHE KNOW? so I thought. She told me that with my size and age my body just at least 1600 calories a day to keep me breathing and blood flowing through my veins, without me doing Anything at all. That shocked me!
    She said I had to eat at least 1600 to 1700 a day or my body would think it is starving and will not allow me to lose the weight I need.
    After a couple more weeks I decided to get brave and up my calories to 1500 lol and wow was I scared. But all of a sudden I begain losing weight to my surprise. So now I KNOW this is all true. Use the BMR method. Figure up what yours is then use it.
    I'm a believer. Now I have lost 12 lbs in 12 weeks.
  • sarahsummers12
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies... and thank you Mikeschratz for working that out for me - MUCH appreciated. Will bite the bullet and hope I can lose this weight! Thank you all again!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Here is the best (IMO) way to calculate your BMR, because it takes into account how much fat and muscle you have. Get a tape measure!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • sarahsummers12
    Options
    Ok thanks :-)