Magnesium Deficiency - Anxiety Disorder?

Options
2»

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I also take "One A Day Men's" multivitamin and it already contains Magnesium in it. Try taking a multivitamin in addition to Omega 3 fish oil on a daily basis to see if your Anxiety ever comes back. Also, never buy your multivitamins from GNC as they tend to put 3000% of your daily value in a pill. I don't know why they do that but it makes you sick when you take those type of pills. Get your vitamins from your local grocery store so you won't have to deal with those insane dosage amounts.

Mine is men's too, I think it's the generic of One a Day. Can't take women's, I worry about getting too much iron, since I eat almost nothing but meat. I was taking krill oil, too, but I'm out at the moment. No difference in mood as far as I can tell.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is great research on this with Mg deficiency. Web MD is a great place for info. I also have found when I am on Low~carb that my symptoms are exasperated . Carbs help serotonin in the brain. That is why people who have depression/anxiety crave them so much. I have recently started Cal/D/Mg and Super B Complex. Will see how that works out. Blessings to all who suffer from this debilitating illness. Remember to keep your thoughts happy and we are in this together! HUGS!
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wow! So glad you posted this. Will do some research. My daughter has both Anxiety disorder and ADHD. Worth checking out. Thanks!
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Wow! So glad you posted this. Will do some research. My daughter has both Anxiety disorder and ADHD. Worth checking out. Thanks!

Please, read this. Don't add supplements without consulting your child's doctor. The meds and supplements can interact.
    Yes, there is a connection between magnesium and ADHD and anxiety, but please don't start taking magnesium supplements without consulting a doctor. You can mess up the balance of zinc and magnesium, and probably some other minerals, as well.

A safe way to get some extra magnesium and relieve the stress and anxiety in your life is to take occasional Epsom salt baths. Add enough Epsom salt to a hot bath to make the water seem "soft", or whatever the instructions on the box direct you to use. Your skin will absorb magnesium as you soak in the water, and you'll find yourself more relaxed afterward. You are unlikely to absorb enough magnesium to create a mineral imbalance the way you would with oral supplements, unless you go way overboard and abuse this. Don't do that.
  • BethanyTL
    Options
    I take evening primrose oil for my adhd and artheritis, and magnesium for my muscle aches and headaches. Would be funny if the magnisium is helping the adhd too :) anyway, feel waaaaaay better since I started taking these :)
  • jflint86
    jflint86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I take St. Johns Wort for my anxiety/depression and I looked at the bottle and it contains Magnesium Silicate and Vegetable Magnesium Stearate.
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks again to EccentricDad for this great question! I'm off to buy some Epsom salts and see if that helps our small girl with anxiety and ADHD symptoms that are apparently bad enough for the medial people to say she likely has a diagnosable issue, but not bad enough to fill in enough check boxes to say what the issue is exactly. I'm sure it is more than likely diet related since she has some many restrictions from allergies/intollerances.
  • missa526
    missa526 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anxiety but I know it has helped my migraines some. I was at the hospital for a non migraine related event and my sodium and magnesium dropped to near zero. Luckily I was at the hospital because the admitted me right away and over 3 days got my sodium up and got my magnesium up in a day. So I take magnesium supplements for 2 reasons and I have to get 2300 Mg of salt a day. But the magnesium can make you a little tired so it may have an anti-anxiety effect
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • anitac0126
    anitac0126 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Due to other meds I'm on, my doctor could not prescribe anything to help with my waking panic attacks. ((Some nights I would awaken in the midst of an attack. I'd have to get up and do something very mundane or watch a kid's cartoon to take my mind off the horrifying feeling that I was about to die.)) My husband suggested 1/2 dose of benedryl at night to KEEP me asleep. Doc loved the idea and I'm good now, as long as I remember to take it. But I am going to try the cal-mag + b complex addition to see if that helps, too. :)
  • tkbronico
    Options
    Did research on this a while back because I have a son with a tic disorder and mild anxiety. Do your research...often the problem is what else you are/aren't eating with your magnesium rich foods that prohibits the body from absorbing it properly. Like the others said, don't just add a supplement it can do just as much harm as good if not done correctly.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I take St. Johns Wort for my anxiety/depression and I looked at the bottle and it contains Magnesium Silicate and Vegetable Magnesium Stearate.

A great many pills/capsules/tablets are made with these products, so that wouldn't be related.
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Magnesium is a muscle relaxent, so it will help for sure in times of stress, and for sleep.

Also, remember, if you aren't getting adequate nutrients, your body will react. A great base is a good multi (don't buy the ones at grocery stores, go to actual health food stores and talk to someone about which is best for you!), and grow from there.

B-complex and D are very important if combating any sort of stress or depression.
  • Noreak
    Options
    As part of my nutrition regime my Dr suggested that I consider adding Zinc and magnesium to my diet to overcome the loss of testosterone levels as I aged...I am 48. when I was 46 I had my first and most terrifying anxiety attack while on a business trip. Those symptoms continued of well over a year and I was really really struggling everyday. I had been put on paroxetene ( also called ) which really helped with the attacks. Coincident to taking the supplements of zinc and magnesium I found that my constant state of anxiety was decreasing...I needed the paroxetene less each day and had gotten to point where I was forgetting them, it took about Two weeks to get to that point. However, I have now been off the medication and free of anxiety for a month, which is a huge change from suffering 24/7. Please note though that I do continue with therapy every two weeks. By design I a, only sharing my dosage...not the brand..I don't want anyone confusing this as a brand commercial I take 1000mg of calcium, 400 mg of magnesium and 50 mg of zinc. Keep in mind that this worked for me,,,but if you are interested in it, them PLEASE be patient and while seeing if it works for you...it is not going to happen over night and you should not switch your medication for a supplement overnight,,,our bodies don't work that way. I know what the disorder is like so I really hope it works for you