Which is it?!?! Nutritionists and pfts more than welcome!

Options
2»

Replies

• TheMommyWifeLife
    TheMommyWifeLife Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    None of the above. Find your TDEE, subtract around 15-20%, and that's your calorie target.

These absolute 1000, 1200, 1400, etc numbers mean fuk-all.

i really have tried to understand the whole tdee and i cant figure out fully what it means. makes me feel like a complete idiot lol
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    Options
    okay this is what i just came up with tell me what to do with it lol

Your Basal Metabolic Rate is: 1681 calories.

Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure Is: 2899 calories
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Read this and follow it to the sites mentioned to work your own TDEE and BMR out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

Good news!!! Now that you have these numbers, you have all that you need to be successful!!! If you eat somewhere between your BMR (the number of calories you need to maintain your weight if you were in a coma - which you found is 1681) and your TDEE (the number of calories you need to maintain your weight given all of your activity - which you found is 2899) you will lose weight...and you won't have to track/eat back your exercise calories. This, of course, assumes that you included your exercise when calculating your TDEE (which it looks like you did based on the number of calories you state that you try to burn each day).

To help ensure that you are losing more fat than muscle, do two things: keep lifting weights and aim for a calorie goal that is around 10-20% below your TDEE.
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    Options

Good news!!! Now that you have these numbers, you have all that you need to be successful!!! If you eat somewhere between your BMR (the number of calories you need to maintain your weight if you were in a coma - which you found is 1681) and your TDEE (the number of calories you need to maintain your weight given all of your activity - which you found is 2899) you will lose weight...and you won't have to track/eat back your exercise calories. This, of course, assumes that you included your exercise when calculating your TDEE (which it looks like you did based on the number of calories you state that you try to burn each day).

To help ensure that you are losing more fat than muscle, do two things: keep lifting weights and aim for a calorie goal that is around 10-20% below your TDEE.

so if this number is correct could i eat 1500 calories a day if i wanted and still be fine to exercise however much i want? because my body literally was used to less than 1000 a day lol it is extremely hard to get higher than 1200 usually but today before dinner im already at 1300
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

so if this number is correct could i eat 1500 calories a day if i wanted and still be fine to exercise however much i want? because my body literally was used to less than 1000 a day lol it is extremely hard to get higher than 1200 usually but today before dinner im already at 1300

Check your math.

If your BMR is 1681 and your TDEE is 2899, you should be eating somewhere in between those 2.

If your numbers are correct, you should be eating around 2319 calories per day. (That's TDEE-20%).

Read everything you can on the subject over and over again until it makes sense. Those numbers yuo're throwing out there - 1000, 1200, 1500 cals a day, are off by a mile.
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    Options
    Lol but I barely have been able to pull eating that much, other than today, with the foods i ate today as well as being abnormally hungry ive gone between 1900 and 2000, but usually i have to force myself to get to 1200 so i dont know how im going to manage 2200
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of overthinking and overanalyzing that goes on around here.

Just try some consistency. Just do whichever you think is most manageable to you for a month and see if it works. If it doesn't, try something else.

I am 190 lbs, 5'10 and 32 years old. I eat 1300 per day plus all of my exercise calories (usually about 2000 a week).

I have been doing this for 4 weeks and I am down 9 lbs.

Way too much overthinking and overanalyzing on here. It's not rocket science. Per the activity level you listed, I would think you should go with the 1700-ish calories and do that for a month and see how you do. With your activity level, 1200 cals is def way too low. I'm 40, 5'7", 135lbs and lift 3 days per week, 2 cardios and yoga and abs and I'm maintaining at roughly 2000-2100 cals per day
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    It's different for everyone and you may need to experiment on MFP a couple weeks to find what works best. For me, I set an MFP goal of a .50 pound per week weight loss which currently gives me about 1780 calories per day.

Realistically (and eating fairly healthy stuff) I will take in about 100-200 more than this on a given day - so let's call it 1900 calories. I generally exercise 5-6 times per week and on average I burn about 500-600 calories per workout. That gives me a net intake of about 1300-1400 calories after exercise.

I don't eat my calories back and on rest days I try to keep my intake lower than my allotted calories (like today is a rest day and I will only eat 1680 today)

I have dropped about 40 pounds, maintained since July at the same weight (165) and I am never hungry or frustrated by food - I am at a level where I am eating well, but I never feel too full nor do I ever feel hungry.

Nice ideas here!
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Lol but I barely have been able to pull eating that much, other than today, with the foods i ate today as well as being abnormally hungry ive gone between 1900 and 2000, but usually i have to force myself to get to 1200 so i dont know how im going to manage 2200

I've had days where I felt full so I stopped and then I found I was a little hungrier the next day so I ate more. My goal is to kind of average it all out. If you had a couple hundred calories left over from yesterday, well there's an extra serving of carbs you can have tomorrow if you're really hungry and want more to eat. But I'm pretty new at this so take my advice with a grain of salt!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    So tired of hearing one thing from one person, and another from another person. I looked up my bmr today, and it is for some reason telling me my calorie intake to maintain my weight should be 1444 to 1750 according to me being 167lbs, 23, and 5ft5in, with moderate to very active exercise throughout the day. I exercise every day of the week. Do weight lifting every other day, and the non weightlifting days, I substitute with strictly cardio, but I do cardio every day. I aim to burn 1000 calories a day from exercise. And most every day I do burn that many.

1444 to 1750 is a great number to have... does that INCLUDE your exercise? Or is that BEFORE you exercise? I suspect it is before you exercise.

A standard weight loss formula is to subtract 15 or 20 percent from your maintenance. In other words, multiply your maintenance by .85 or .8

So if your 1444 - 1750 takes into account your exercising every day, then 15 percent of that is 1227 - 1487. But if you exercise you have to eat more.

What did the MFP calculator tell you to eat when you put in all your numbers? If you don't like that one then maybe try
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

When I tell that one you're exercising 5-6 hours a week, it's saying eat 2170-2306 calories every day (that's a 15-20 percent cut).

If you're used to eating very little, then weight loss is going to be difficult...
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

If optimal nutrition and fitness is a priority, you'll figure it out. You're LOL but I'm SMH.
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    Options
    Okay so here is what I am going to try, and you can let me know if you agree with me. I just changed my calorie goal to 1700. I still plan to aim for burning 1000 a day, but 500 minimum. So if I eat 1700 but burn 500 I have actually got 1200.

So my plan that I have will leave me with a net of 700-1200, which is much better than it was before. I will be taking in the amount of calories the website told me to (stay between 1600 and 2100 or whatever), and be able to exercise without taking much more in.