Deload week

Options
Necessary or not? Finished the 3rd week of 5/3/1 and next week is supposed to be the deload week. I have to admit it seems kind of pointless to me. I feel strong. Soreness in my muscles has been gone within 2 days of working them. I totally understand taking it easy if you are feeling worn down but is scheduling every fourth week really necessary?

I basically have a 4 day split.

Day 1 chest
Day 2 legs
Day 3 off
Day 4 shoulders
Day 5 back
Day 6 off
Day 7 off or start over (just depends)

5 days before I hit a muscle group again seems like a good enough break to me but I really want to hear what some of you have to say on this.

Replies

• DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't understand it either. I make progress on that week instead.
  • skolvikes5
    Options
    Every 4 weeks? That doesn't sound right. Stretch it out closer to 8 weeks....or when the body and CNS tells you. And yes, a deload week is important.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Every 4 weeks? That doesn't sound right. Stretch it out closer to 8 weeks....or when the body and CNS tells you. And yes, a deload week is important.

Thanks. This is more in line with what I was thinking.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I did the deload week as recommended, then the next week I hit PRs on everything.

Did you read the book?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Yes and the info he has posted online about it. He obviously believes in it. I was interested in what others thought about it.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i save deloads for vactations since the equipment can be limited.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Want to skip the deload, then go ahead. That's your prerogative. But if your progress stalls out and you reset, adding the deload would be among the first things I tweak. I always do the deload week. I need it by the time I get there. And I enter the next cycle nice and fresh.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Want to skip the deload, then go ahead. That's your prerogative. But if your progress stalls out and you reset, adding the deload would be among the first things I tweak. I always do the deload week. I need it by the time I get there. And I enter the next cycle nice and fresh.

That was kind of my line of thinking. Say I progress until I "stall out" without the deload. Maybe that happen in one cycle or maybe three and THEN I do a deload. Is just cycling one in every fourth week optimal or is it just to make it a one-size-fits-all program? Im not saying that is what I think just looking for an education on the subject.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Well it's obviously worked for Wendler and continues to work. I assume he believes that it's optimal. There's something to be said for following a program to the letter. Similar to trying out a recipe for the first time. I'm on my 7th cycle; I've been following it pretty much to the letter and I'm finding it very effective.

My opinion is that it's worth taking the deload. I find the mental and physical break very welcome and refreshing. If you decided to skip it, maybe for just the first couple of cycles, it doesn't seem unreasonable. Over the following months, as the weight goes up, who knows, maybe you'll want to deload.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Well it's obviously worked for Wendler and continues to work. I assume he believes that it's optimal. There's something to be said for following a program to the letter. Similar to trying out a recipe for the first time. I'm on my 7th cycle; I've been following it pretty much to the letter and I'm finding it very effective.

My opinion is that it's worth taking the deload. I find the mental and physical break very welcome and refreshing. If you decided to skip it, maybe for just the first couple of cycles, it doesn't seem unreasonable. Over the following months, as the weight goes up, who knows, maybe you'll want to deload.

Thank you. I know people see results by following the program and that is important. It is when people skip the deload and still see results that makes me question whether their frequency might be a little too cautious. If there is such a thing. : )

I guess I am in no hurry and I am getting a little too old to be taking risks with heavy *kitten* weight so I will not eliminate them completely. Week 1 and 2 are already pretty low intensity so it just feels like there is potential for more progress. Thanks again for the input.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It's a marathon remember? ;)