Any other PhD/doctoral students out there?

Options
Hi everyone,
My name's Heather and I'm a PhD student with the School of Psychology at the University of Adelaide in South Australia (though I currently live in Melbourne). I started my PhD in February 2008 and after a looooonnnnggg 4.5 years (and a few months off here and there) I'm on the home stretch and will be submitting my thesis in January. I'm insanely overwhelmed by the whole thing at this point and the sheer amount of work I have to do in such a short time, so find myself battling the tears and stress eating on a daily basis.
I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who knows that I'm going through and would like the emotional support? My current friends list is amazing and full of incredibly supportive people, but it's hard to know exactly what this is like unless you're going through it and my sporadic pity-parties must get a bit tiresome :)

Thanks, all!
Heather

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    *raises hand* I'm doing my Ph.D. in Marine Biology right now. :)
  • boykingroup2
    Options
    Hi Heather, I have my PhD, but I remember the times when I worked so hard hard on my dissertation that I ate poorly, and did not exercise. My doctor gave me anti-anxiety medicine, but I decided to build a support system of family and friends. I also had to become very disciplined and divide up the tasks I needed to complete. Put yourself on small deadlines that will lead to the completiton of your dissertation and your defense. I did this and was only semester behind my graduation goal. I decided to give myself an extra semester to clean up my work...It paid off. Good luck to you:-)