Has anyone ever heard of this?

Options
I heard on the radio yesterday that the carmel coloring in dark diet soda clings to fat cells and makes it hard to lose weight. Is there any credibility to this? I think it's baloney...

Replies

• kingnatalie
    Options
    I heard that as well - seems plausible, however I haven't found a site proclaiming that to be true. I have read countess stories about diet soda and how it may not be healthy for you - and may even attribute to weight gain.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight
  • Rebecca__Lynn
    Options
    Yeppers, the only good thing about Diet Soda...is that it's 0 calories...kind of like cigarettes. But that's it.
  • burner
    burner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    even if this is or isn't true - one thing I know is Diet soda drinks are not good for you....drink water, moderate amounts of juice and flavoured waters?

diet soda's are bad for teeth and can make you crave other bad foods...
  • reptillian
    Options
    roger that Burner!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Here is an article from webmd.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight

From what I have read in the past is that it is nothing in the diet soda's that cause weight, but it is a mind set of people that drink diet sodas. There are links between diet sodas and obesiety but as explained in this article it is more mental than physical.
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    One additional thing I have heard or read - again I don't really have anything to back it up, but it made sense to me... Diet soda contains 0 calories and can therefore leave your body still craving something - since it is essentially giving you nothing. A regular soda, while containing many calories can leave you feeling fuller and not craving something more. Water is best, but just a thought about diet vs. regular pop.
  • ACarp24
    Options
    I don't know if this rumor is true, but for you real diet soda addicts....theres this soda called diet rite that I get sometimes. It's made with splenda (instead of aspartame) and has 0 sodium.
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Like everything else you should drink diet soda in moderation. I drink diet A&W Rootbeer when I have a sweet craving and it helps! Other wise it is Diet RC or Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi so that I can have some flavor from drinking so much water! :drinker:
  • bolsen21
    Options
    i dunno I just know we have stopped buy soda and well i lost 3 pounds really fast. so maybe there is some truth to it. I only get soda when we eat out now, and that has become few and far between.
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I HEARD AND SAW IT ON THE SHOW THE DOCTORS LAST WEEK
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Sounds bogus to me. I know plenty of people who drink diet coke and have lost weight, including myself. Where do people come up with this stuff? Ughhhhh I would rather take the 0 cals and carbs of a diet coke than take a regular coke for 140 cals and a billion carbs.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I've heard that also. I've heard numerous other things as well. I don't think there will ever be reliable evidence to back up those claims. The soda industry has enough money to see to it that they stay on top. People don't believe the little guy because he doesn't have the cash to back him up. I'm not claiming conspriacy. Well, maybe a little. But seriously, money talks in this day and age. Even if its about science.

I'd prefer to stay away from any food that was created in a lab. Thats just me. If I can grow it or raise it in my yard on my own, its food. If I can only get it from a large corporation that won't allow me to see how its made, what its made from, etc. chances are, my body won't recognise it as natural food.

The truth is, there will never be full truth.
  • QueenInge
    QueenInge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just read in a women's magazine that even diet soda is bad for your kidneys due to the phosphorus they contain. My brother just had a kidney transplant after being on dialysis for 2 years and he has had to watch out our for phosphorus content for that reason. (The kidney problems started from diabetes initially.)
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I call it liquid poison, dont get me wrong I love it. I hear all bad stuff about it also that it has so much sodium in it that it causes a lot of retention, who needs that.