Exercise harder or exercise longer?

Options
I've been exercising for about 3 months now and now I routinely do 45 minutes of elliptical trainer at level 15, burning ~12 calories per hour, totaling roughly 550 calories per workout.

There are times when I feel like pushing myself a little harder. I can do it by exercising at the higher level, 16, which burns maybe ~13 calories per minute, increasing the total calories burned by 45. That is not a whole lot of calories. And for that I have to push myself real hard to sustain the higher level of exercise, and after the workout I am pronouncedly more tired than usual.

The other option is to workout at the normal level, and extend the workout by a few minutes. Just four minutes gives me additional 48 calories burned, and it is not particularly difficult or exhausting. I ofter stretch the workout to a full hour, burning roughly 180 extra calories. And it does not feel particularly tiring or challenging.

At the psychological level, workout our harder feels like I am really doing something for my health, whereas working out longer almost feels like I am taking the easy way out. But in reality, if my numbers are correct, it only takes extra 4 minutes of exercise at the regular level to earn the calories that I earn by exercising at the higher level.

Is this how it works, or am I missing something? Of course, one of my main objectives is to burn more calories, so I usually opt for a longer workout. Am I missing anything by not pushing myself harder instead?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Unless you are training for an endurance sport, intensity is always better length.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    You have an after effect of faster metabolism after a workout and I believe harder ill give you a little more "burn." And even if not I would opt for harder as your body does adapt to workouts so changing it up now and then is good
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Intensity always. I love lifting heavy but I want to be in and out. Why spend 3 hours doing something that can be done in 45-60 minutes? Same goes for cardio.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I agree with the guys...I try to workout harder most days with a couple longer workouts
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I would think it depends on your goal. If you are simply trying to burn the most calories during that one workout, it sounds like you're doing it right. But by upping the intensity, you will build muscle as well, and prevent your body from getting used to the exercise.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    why not both?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    45 minutes on an elliptical? 40 minutes too long

the reason the ellipticals are always busy is because they are easy. You can get results with it but there are better ways to spend your time
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think some days steady state cardio for longer durations will do (especially if you lift on these days) and other days, you feel like you just want to kick a little *kitten*! These are the days that you need to kick it up a notch. Add some HIIT into the cardio. If done correctly, you will be spent within a short amount of time - 20 mins max usually. Try and be sure that your easy days don't out number you kicking *kitten* days. :)

But, I will also say, if you are moving, you are going in the right general direction.
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Work smart, not hard.

You said, "... one of my main objectives is to burn more calories."

That's a great objective, but what KIND of calories do you want to burn? Different levels of activity will have different effects on your heart rate. Various heart rates will burn different amounts of calories, and those calories will come from different sources.

Here's a good article to read: http://walking.about.com/cs/fitnesswalking/a/hearttraining_2.htm

Summary:
    Keeping your heart rate at 50% to 60% of your maximum heart rate will burn 85% fat, 10% carbohydrates, and 5% protein.
    Keeping your heart rate at 60% to 70% of your maximum heart rate will burn 85% fat, 10% carbohydrates, and 5% protein.
    Keeping your heart rate at 70% to 80% of your maximum heart rate will burn 50% fat, 50% carbohydrates, and <1% protein.
    Keeping your heart rate at 80% to 90% of your maximum heart rate will burn 15% fat, 85% carbohydrates, and <1% protein.
    Keeping your heart rate at 90% to 100% of your maximum heart rate will burn 10% fat, 90% carbohydrates, and <1% protein.

What you probably want to do is keep it in the 60-70%, for most of your workout, but every five minutes or so, really push it (80-90%) for about a minute. (That's called interval training.)

If you could, I'd suggest you purchase a good heart rate monitor. (Polar is a fantastic brand). It will help you get into the proper zone, to best meet your goal.

Last week, my husband recorded these two workouts:
    Tuesday: 79 minutes. 518 Calories of which 20% was fat (104 fat calories.)
    Friday: 83 minutes. 256 Calories, of which 41% was fat (105 fat calories.)
    (His Polar FT80 gave him the time, calories and % of fat, as well as much more data.)

He was drained and beat on Tuesday after his workout, AND on Wednesday. Friday he went in feeling dragging -- hence the "poor" workout, but came out feeling better.

Tuesday he did about a half hour of interval training, and then 1/2 hour weight machines and calisthenics.
    Friday he only did about 15 minutes of interval training, and then the rest was weight machines and calisthenics.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I just went to the doctor this Wednesday and this is what he told me...

Since i have suffered two strokes in the past, and suffed from high blood pressure, he suggests shorter workouts several times per day. For instance instead of 60 minutes once a day on the elliptical at 75% heart rate.. i should do 4 20 minute workouts at 75% heart rate.

It not only gives me a "longer" workout as 20 X 4 = 80 minutes instead of the 60 minutes i was doing all at once, your metabollism typically keeps going for about an hour (give or take) after your heart rate reaches that 75% (so 4 times longer in a day, since its reaching that 4 times in a day, instead of once) and you lave less high blood pressure peaks in a day, since again, your heart rate is getting to 75% 4 times in a day, instead of once..

Thats how my doctor explained it to me, and it really makes sense if you think about it!

Good luck! =)
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    45 minutes on an elliptical? 40 minutes too long

the reason the ellipticals are always busy is because they are easy. You can get results with it but there are better ways to spend your time

anyone who says the elliptical is easy is because they arent putting anything into it. when i run on an elliptical, i RUN. sweat dripping, legs burning, arms trembling... ANY exercise isnt easy if you put your all into it. and ANY exercise is easy if you lolly gag around.. yes, i can go into the gym in my shorty shorts, heels, makeup and hair did, walk on the elliptical for 45 minutes and never smudge my mascara... thats what the "not so real" housewives who take pills to stay thin" do... but those of us who actually work to keep the weight off can tell you that the elliptical is NOT easy.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    why not both?

right Why not??? we can do both
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I would think it depends on your goal. If you are simply trying to burn the most calories during that one workout, it sounds like you're doing it right. But by upping the intensity, you will build muscle as well, and prevent your body from getting used to the exercise.

Just to clarify, you don't build any muscle on the elliptical. Especially in a calorie deficit like 99% of us are.

Having said that, it's really just a matter of what you're going for. Higher intensity is arguably going to do more for general fitness and cardio health. Longer duration at a moderate pace will definitely burn the calories you want but that is likely the only benefit you'll get. If you're fine with that then who cares? At the end of the day, you're getting a workout either way, you're increasing your fitness and health, and you're burning calories for delicious beer. Do what you think makes you feel better and do what you will ACTUALLY do. Any workout done is infinitely better than a workout skipped because you hate it.

Personally, for myself, I try to do as high intensity as possible for a shorter time. The reason I bring this up is because it is again, totally personal. I find the elliptical boring so I want to minimize my time spent on it. Furthermore, going at a higher intensity is harder and the time goes by faster because you're so focused. When I get off of the machine I'm shaky enough that I have to sit down for a while before I head to my car. Again, purely a personal thing. If you can do longer-term cardio at a slower pace and you're not bored by it and you will consistently do it, then great, more power to you.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    why not both?
    Why overtrain?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Work smart, not hard.

You said, "... one of my main objectives is to burn more calories."

That's a great objective, but what KIND of calories do you want to burn? Different levels of activity will have different effects on your heart rate. Various heart rates will burn different amounts of calories, and those calories will come from different sources.

Here's a good article to read: http://walking.about.com/cs/fitnesswalking/a/hearttraining_2.htm

Summary:
    Keeping your heart rate at 50% to 60% of your maximum heart rate will burn 85% fat, 10% carbohydrates, and 5% protein.
    Keeping your heart rate at 60% to 70% of your maximum heart rate will burn 85% fat, 10% carbohydrates, and 5% protein.
    Keeping your heart rate at 70% to 80% of your maximum heart rate will burn 50% fat, 50% carbohydrates, and <1% protein.
    Keeping your heart rate at 80% to 90% of your maximum heart rate will burn 15% fat, 85% carbohydrates, and <1% protein.
    Keeping your heart rate at 90% to 100% of your maximum heart rate will burn 10% fat, 90% carbohydrates, and <1% protein.

What you probably want to do is keep it in the 60-70%, for most of your workout, but every five minutes or so, really push it (80-90%) for about a minute. (That's called interval training.)

If you could, I'd suggest you purchase a good heart rate monitor. (Polar is a fantastic brand). It will help you get into the proper zone, to best meet your goal.

Last week, my husband recorded these two workouts:
    Tuesday: 79 minutes. 518 Calories of which 20% was fat (104 fat calories.)
    Friday: 83 minutes. 256 Calories, of which 41% was fat (105 fat calories.)
    (His Polar FT80 gave him the time, calories and % of fat, as well as much more data.)

He was drained and beat on Tuesday after his workout, AND on Wednesday. Friday he went in feeling dragging -- hence the "poor" workout, but came out feeling better.

Tuesday he did about a half hour of interval training, and then 1/2 hour weight machines and calisthenics.
    Friday he only did about 15 minutes of interval training, and then the rest was weight machines and calisthenics.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Do not listen to any of this, it is pure garbage. All that really matters is the calories burned. Zones and all that stuff for burning fat versus carbs doesn't matter. Why? If you work out at high intensity and you're burning mostly carbs - who cares? Guess what happens? You've now depleted your carbs (glycogen) and come post-workout your body is going to be burning fat to replace those energy stores that you just burned. Either way you will burn fat just fine. Focus on overall calories in versus calories out. Worrying about heart rate zones just over complicates things needlessly.
  • MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I prefer intensity over endurance, hasfit.com has alot of good fre
    Workouts. You can find then on YouTube too^^
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I would go longer because I try to keep my heart rate in the "heart healthy" zone, and that's what's most important to me. But can't you do it increasingly harder and longer?
  • blakejohn
    Options
    I prefer intensity over endurance, hasfit.com has alot of good fre
    Workouts. You can find then on YouTube too^^

thanks for the web page
  • blakejohn
    Options
    why not both?
    Why overtrain?

how long does it take to over train?
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of interval training? If not:, I think it might be of interest to you. Here is some info from the Mayo Clinic:
    What is interval training?

.... Interval training is simply alternating bursts of intense activity with intervals of lighter activity....
    Whether you're a novice exerciser or you've been exercising for years, interval training can help you jazz up your workout routine. Consider the benefits:

You'll burn more calories. The more vigorously you exercise, the more calories you'll burn — even if you increase intensity for just a few minutes at a time.
    You'll improve your aerobic capacity. As your cardiovascular fitness improves, you'll be able to exercise longer or with more intensity. Imagine finishing your 60-minute walk in 45 minutes — or the additional calories you'll burn by keeping up the pace for the full 60 minutes.
    You'll keep boredom at bay. Turning up your intensity in short intervals can add variety to your exercise routine.
    You don't need special equipment. You can simply modify your current routine.