How often do you have to run to get better

Options
I am trying to keep my exercise routine irratic so that I don't hit a plateu and to keep my metabolism up or that is my goal anyways. SO two times a week I run, 2x's I do Body Pump and 1-2 times I do elliptical. Can I get better at running if I am only doing it twice a week? How often should I bo doing it? And can you run too many times a week? And will my muscles get stronger if I am only doing Body Pump twice a week?

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person, but I really noticed a difference when I made a commitment to myself to run 3 times a week instead of just 2. Instead of struggling through C25k, I was breezing through the weeks. Now I do three days of running and three days of weight training. But, twice a week is better than never!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I am interested in what answers you get, since I was having such a hard time with C25K I started running 5 times a week but got shin splints that knocked me on my *kitten*. Now I am cutting to 3 times like the above poster said. Buuuut before I got really into it I was only running once or twice a week and it seemed like I would take 1 step forward and 2 back. By the time I would start a new week I would be so out of practice it would be too hard again.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I run 3 days a week (M-W-F), do zumba on T-Th and most Sa.I started the C25K in May, finished in late August and ran a 5k on 9/29.
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    When I started running I used an I-phone app called "Couch to 10k" that recommended running every other day. I think running twice a week will help you build endurance and cardiovascular health, especially when you're first starting out. Just do what feels right. If you feel like twice a week isn't enough, then drop the elliptical and add a run. If you feel good doing what your doing, then keep it up. I do think its important to keep strength training in your routine, so dont drop that! But don't drive yourself too crazy with fear of the platue thing. I've heard it takes a long time for muscle memory to set in so deep that your body doesn't react to the stress anymore, which is what happens when you plateau.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Exactly 3.217 times per week. Now go!
  • rjlkat
    rjlkat Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I started out on the C25K, but in Week 4 tore a hamstring, and as I was weaning myself back in two days later (when I could 'sort of' walk! - yeah, I know, but I couldn't bring myself to stay off of it), I started doing my own thing which seems to work. But in the process I went down to twice a week, as I heavy lift three times a week and don't want to workout 6 days per week. I do feel like I'm making progress, but am now considering instead of just walking a mile and half on the days I lift, of doing a light run/walk interval to help with the run the other two days, but not take the energy and real 'workout' for cardio like the 'running/jogging' only days.

Agreeing with previous posts: don't drop weight training, and do what feels good to your body.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    If I go longer than a day between runs the next run is harder. So every other day.
  • dawnshot
    dawnshot Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6 of C25K and run 3 times per week, I go to a Zumba class and do various dvd's the non run days