Breakfast Issues

Options
2»

Replies

• Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My two recent faves: steel cut oatmeal with a little butter and brown sugar, and vanilla greek yogurt with slivered almonds and honey. Both are delish.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    is it possible to make your own turkey sausage patties? any recipe recs? Can't get them here. We do have chicken sausages but I am not sure if they are fatty or not

Izzy I LOVE your profile pic!! My brother's rottie just passed away last week :( yours looks just like her!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese & canteloupe...I would've thought it was disgusting before I actually tried it, but now I realize I should've given it a chance.

Or my favorite: steel cut oats with brown sugar & raisins
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    is it possible to make your own turkey sausage patties? any recipe recs? Can't get them here. We do have chicken sausages but I am not sure if they are fatty or not

Yep, you can! http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_breakfast_sausage
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Turkey Sausage Patty Recipe:http://www.weightandwellness.com/turkey_breakfast_sausage.html
  • _Punjab
    _Punjab Posts: 67
    Options
    I always do a breakfast sandwich...

-1 Whole grain English muffin
    -1 Slice of cheese
    -1 Jimmy Dean turkey sausage patty

I cook the sausage patty for 30 seconds in the microwave and then put it all together as a sandwich and cook it on my sandwich press for about 1 minute (just enough to melt the cheese and get the English muffin a little crispy)

With the type of muffin/cheese/sausage I use, it's 250 calories and has 17 grams protein
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    cereal is great... tons of good and healthy choices.
    boring answer but i love cereal.
  • tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    One breakfast I've been loving recently is oatmeal, with a little maple syrup, and a tablespoon of pumpkin + a dash of pumpkin pie spice. YUM! Pumpkin is great, oatmeal is very filling.

I would also suggest maybe smoothies with frozen berries and oatmeal or peanut butter? You can also add some greek yogurt.

Larabars are great for breakfast---220 cal average, with tons of protein. They all have under 6 ingredients or something, and it is all just nuts and dried fruit. They're so good! They have flavors like banana bread, lemon bar, chocolate chip cookie dough--- and they always taste just like whatever flavor it is. It's pretty amazing! They also have UBER bars by the same brand that have bigger chunks of nuts and fruit.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Here's a quick one I love....microwave muffins
    the recipe should be floating around on MFP somewhere because i got it from MFP before I joined, one of my friends pinned it. I adapted it slightly, I like the texture the banana gives it.

1/4 cup oatmeal
    1 banana
    1/4 c egg white substitute or 1 whole egg
    1/4 c blueberries(or any fruit you like, I've done it with peaches, cherries, raspberries, strawberries)
    splash of milk or milk substitute)
    cinnamon or any sweet spice you like

mash the banana, then mix in the oatmeal, egg, and any spices, add the fruit and stir gently to combine.( I do it all in the mug, fewer dishes to wash) then microwave for 2 minutes, then at 45 second increments until edges look a bit dry and middle is set. it usually takes 2 minutes if the fruit is fresh or thawed, but needs a little extra if its still frozen or very cold.

Nutrition..as posted with whole egg and almond milk ---219 calories.
    What kind of oatmeal, quick cook, instant???these sound great!

Nonfat Greek vanilla yogurt, canned pumpkin, dash cinnamon/nutmeg, topped with almonds, walnuts, granola, raisins.
    For snacks I will mix equal parts of cottage cheese with Greek yogurt. Add a fruit, like frozen berries, peaches, etc.
  • mandersatx
    Options
    2-ingredient banana pancakes: mash 1 banana, mix with 2 raw eggs, pour on to hot Pam-sprayed nonstick skillet, flip once. Makes 5-6 small banana pancakes that are sweet enough to not need syrup! With 2 large eggs, 245 calories & 14 g protein. Doesn't taste eggy at all.

I also keep a wood kitchen box full of Kashi granola bars (Pumpkin Flax Seed is YUM) for grab n go mornings.

Not traditional, but carrots & hummus is another quick breakfast choice with decent protein. Add 1 ounce of cheese, and the protein/fat/carb ratio is perfect.

Instant oatmeal (Steel cut is better for you, but who has time for that when traffic's between you and the office?) + small container of unsweetened applesauce + 4 chopped walnut halves + 1 tbsp raisins.

Cottage cheese with Montreal Steak seasoning. ZOMG YUM.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    When I was vegan I replaced eggs with tofu. I used to make tofu scrambles all the time and it was really good! You can google a bunch of reipies for them but here's a good one

This will make one serving

1 tbsp olive oil
    2/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    2/3 Cups Diced Onion & Pepper
    1 tomato
    1-2 cloves garlic, minced (Depends on how much you like garlic)
    1 Cup Baby Spinach (You could use regular too I just like baby)
    Half pound firm or extra firm tofu, well pressed and crumbled
    1/4 tsp soy sauce
    1/2 tsp lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste

Sautee mushrooms, tomato & garlic, pepper, onion in oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes Add spinach, tofu soy sauce & lemon juice COVER and simmer for 5 minutes or until spinach is cooked, stir occasionally. Add salt and pepper. I also add hot sauce or siracha.

330 calories, 25 grams of protein
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I always do a breakfast sandwich...

-1 Whole grain English muffin
    -1 Slice of cheese
    -1 Jimmy Dean turkey sausage patty

I cook the sausage patty for 30 seconds in the microwave and then put it all together as a sandwich and cook it on my sandwich press for about 1 minute (just enough to melt the cheese and get the English muffin a little crispy)

With the type of muffin/cheese/sausage I use, it's 250 calories and has 17 grams protein

Great idea
  • ChadB74
    ChadB74 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I usually have 1 of 3 different breakfast through the work week. La Tortilla Factory small whole wheat torilla (50 cals) with a Tablespoon of Skippy Natural Peanut Butter (95 cals) spread on it and a Banana wrapped inside (100 - 150 cals) Nice and filling.....or bowl of cherrios (1 cup 100 cals) with a cut up banana (100-150 cals) mixed in with 1/2 cup fat free milk (45 cals) filling enough or lastly Dannon Light 6 oz yogurt (80 cals) and an Orange (110 cals) light breakfast. I will usually have water, Sobe lifewater or Diet Turkey Hill green iced tea with ginseng and honey to drink with breakfast. On the weekend, I'll splurge a few extra calories for a yummy breakfast which is a ham and cheese omelette (3 large brown eggs 210 cals, ff milk 1/4 cup 25 calshillshire farms ultra thin ham 3 slices 35 cals and sargento ultra thin cheese 1 slice 35/40 cals with a side of Thin and crispy butterball turkey bacon 4 slices 60 cals
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Here's a quick one I love....microwave muffins
    the recipe should be floating around on MFP somewhere because i got it from MFP before I joined, one of my friends pinned it. I adapted it slightly, I like the texture the banana gives it.

1/4 cup oatmeal
    1 banana
    1/4 c egg white substitute or 1 whole egg
    1/4 c blueberries(or any fruit you like, I've done it with peaches, cherries, raspberries, strawberries)
    splash of milk or milk substitute)
    cinnamon or any sweet spice you like

mash the banana, then mix in the oatmeal, egg, and any spices, add the fruit and stir gently to combine.( I do it all in the mug, fewer dishes to wash) then microwave for 2 minutes, then at 45 second increments until edges look a bit dry and middle is set. it usually takes 2 minutes if the fruit is fresh or thawed, but needs a little extra if its still frozen or very cold.

Nutrition..as posted with whole egg and almond milk ---219 calories.
    What kind of oatmeal, quick cook, instant???these sound great!

Nonfat Greek vanilla yogurt, canned pumpkin, dash cinnamon/nutmeg, topped with almonds, walnuts, granola, raisins.
    For snacks I will mix equal parts of cottage cheese with Greek yogurt. Add a fruit, like frozen berries, peaches, etc.

Plain old-fashioned oats work, I personally use Quaker multigrain bacause I like its flavor when I use it for hot cereal so its what I have in the house all the time:smile:
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    lean ham & lower-fat cheese on toast (melt in toaster oven), or grilled canadian bacon on toast, or baked beans on toast

cup of cottage cheese & some walnuts or almonds

plain oatmeal (salty)

or hummus & toast

or (culture-specific) roasted sweet red pepper spread on toast + greek yogurt drink (3/4 cup greek yogurt with 1/4 cup water mixed in)
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump!