Psychology behind weight loss

Options
kmm7309
kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
Does anyone ever wonder if an unhealthy relationship with food can be repaired without professional help? I used to binge all the time, and now I go through periods of days where I have an aversion to eating anything. Obviously this is not good, and I am starting to wonder if it's all the same part of the brain and if it can be fixed?

Will I ever feel like food is fuel and not a social gathering, or stress, or boredom?

Replies

• ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    BUMP! This has got to be one of the most difficult issues Ive ever encountered and Ive been wondering myself if its possible.
  • EPortJake
    EPortJake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Being on a long term weight loss program has definitely changed my view on food.There are a couple of things that have helped me to continue to enjoy eating though:
    Treat yourself occasionally as a reward - this could be going out for a meal or just having a takeaway.
    Cook - getting ready made low-fat meals from the supermarket gets boring, plus most of them taste like crap. You can cook delicious homemade meals and control what goes into them. I find it rewarding when a meal turns out really well and get good feedback from my family and friends.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can repair without professional one on one help. BUT... I think searching for help outside of your own head is important to repairing that relationship. MFP is great, but so is overeaters anonymous and some of the faith based weekly group meetings. WW group meetings can be good as well, but it really depends on the leader.

I think there are really good registered dieticians and wellness PT's that can help you with find the best relationship with food and what activity you need to be healthy - and if you want to take it to a higher fit level than healthy to super body you can, but for me, staying healthy is my goal. The longer you work and focus on it , the more likely you will maintain or improve your healthy/fitness level. And somewhere along the way, your relationship with food will improve.
  • 256Sept12
    Options
    I think we can change our thinking. For me, at way over 200 lbs I was eating mcdonalds every day 3 times a day....without care. It wasn't until I reached almost 260lbs that I thought "wait a minute, this isn't right...I need to start eating to live..not the other way around"

I think every person gets to that breaking point when they think "food is ruining my life and i WILL put a stop to this nonscense". For me it was at 256lbs....for someone else it could be 500lbs or 185lbs.

Once one gets to that point, realise you don't have to do it alone. We can go online and find people who are in the same boat as us, go online to read about this type of thing. I don't think "professional" help is needed...but I do think we need some kind of help....even if it's just reading an article online or talking to a friend who also sees food as we do.

I think (for me atleast) when one hits that breaking point...your brain automatically starts to change. It's been 16 days and I haven't gone to mcdonalds once...and i really don't even want to go. I'm surprised that I went as much as I did before...kinda like a "omg i can't believe i ate like that" came over me. There are days when I crave something sweet real bad or I wish I could eat the pizza my family is eating...and on those days, I make myself a similar alternative (english muffin pizzas) to what I want.

And some days I have no desire at all and don't want to eat. (yesterday I only ate 750 calories) I know this is bad too and I just need to keep thinking that it does me no good to eat so little.I have to find SOMETHING I can stand to get down. So today my goal is to eat atleast 1000 calories.

I keep repeating to myself that I need to use food for good things...not allow it to destroy me.

BUT hey, there is nothing wrong with pro help, get it if you think you need it.
  • Keltinator
    Options
    Recovering binge eater here. I think it really depends on you. Some people can do it by themselves, and some people need extra help. It's kind of like how some people can just give up junk food once and for all and never look back, while other people have to find a way to fit treats into their daily lives or else they can't stick to it. Some people just look back on a binge and say "never again," while other people have to fight the urge to do it again.

But for the record, I have kicked the binging habit, and I did it alone, so yes, it is possible. Just don't be afraid to get help if you think you need it! :flowerforyou:

Edit: spelling
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Professionals help you change, they don't change for you. Seeking professional help is a tool not a fix. It is completely possible to do it without professional help if you know how to do so. Professionals basically just give you the right formula. Another poster said that she had to change her thinking. I agree with that. I think you also have to change your environment. You mentioned social gatherings.. if your social gatherings all gather around food, that is a recipe for failure. My friends and I used to go to Applebees for 1/2 priced appetizers every Sunday night after church. That was our spot. When I started my weight loss I had to tuck out on that. Spinach dip has like 98 grams of fat!! Quesadillas are not much better. We moved the after church gathering to my place and used the grill. I ate chicken and chips with guacamole. It was more work for me-clean up, cooking for everyone etc. but it was worth it to stay on plan and still participate in hangouts with my friends. As far as stress eating goes- get the crap out of your house. If it's not there you can't choose it.

Professional help does not have to be a bad thing tho. You could have some major underlying stuff going on that you are unable to tap into on your own. Why not see a counselor for a few sessions?
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This is a major problem that requires major solutions. I say use all the tools in the tool chest. It's not a time to cut corners. If you can get professional help then go for it. I'm trying hypnotism. Is it working? I don't know but it can't hurt and it certainly has motivated me and made me more accountable. Good luck.
  • jessicayoung82
    jessicayoung82 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My view of food has changed as I amp up my workouts... Even though I am at goal weight, I still have to watch calories, fat and carbs closely. When I am deciding on a meal, I review my options and pick the meal I will get the most nutrition and energy out off. That way I can crush my next workout. It is almost TOM, and I caved yesterday and had pizza and breadsticks for lunch. I was quickly regretting it during my favorite Zumba class. Took everything I had not to throw up on the instructor. I made it through, but was so disappointed in myself because I couldn't keep up my normal intensity and it was because I let myself eat crap. Won't do that again...
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Our physical health has so much more to do with our psychology and emotions than we realize. My weight increased because of stress/trauma in my life. I've been in a support group for co-addicts for over a year, and we have to check in with how we're doing every week, including how we're doing physically. These check-ins, plus working on taking care of myself, not being codependent, and the support from the others in the group changed my physical health. Previously, I didn't have any emotional capacity to lose weight - I wasn't ready, even if I wanted to. Now, it's so natural - it's not even hard or tortuous for me, because I'm in the emotional place where it's time to take care of myself physically. I can't describe the transformation in words. So to respond to original poster, I don't have the cravings and all that anymore, because my psychology, emotional world, hope and joy changed. And I wasn't getting professional help for my physical issues! Everything is connected. I hope this helps.