Options
    Bump
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    wow! thanks!
  • Gulzilly
    Gulzilly Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I make 250 samosa's twice a year.Once a year, my husband had a bbq for his students during graduation time. Most of them are gone in 15 minutes. However, one note, samosa's are VERY labour intensive. At least the ones that are made from scratch. THey are phenomenal and the way I look at it, a great calorie burn. However, the way I make samosa's it takes at least 2 days.

Let me know if you are still interested.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I love eating out but just like any other restaurants, Inidan food is also packed with lot of calories and hence I avoid it. Cooking at home is so much healthier.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Let me start with a simple one:

Mutter palavo:

Ingredients:
    Basamati Rice - 1 cup
    Peas - 1 cup
    Kala Jeera (Black cumin) - 1 tsp
    Bay leaf - 2 or 3
    Chopped Onions - 1 (big)
    Oil - 2 tbsp
    Salt to taste
    Black pepper powder - 1 tsp
    Ghee - 2 tsp (optional)

Procedure: Soak rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain the water. Cook the rice adding 2 cups of water. Make sure the rice is not mushy and the grains are well separated.
    Heat the oil. Add Kala Jeera. Add Bay leaf. Add onions. Fry for couple of minutes until onions are translucent. Add Peas. Add salt. Once the peas are tender, add cooked rice and Black pepper powder and mix it well. Leave it on the stove for couple of minutes and serve hot.
  • kwjmom
    kwjmom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump! and thanks!
  • 121John121
    121John121 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I love Indian food too. One of the things I learned from a fat free indian recipe book by someone who is Indian is to fry the onions in water and add the salt to them then. Yes it's much more fat free that way, and sometimes I don't even use oil in my Indian recipes.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Bump for very happy days xxxx thank you all you kind people x
  • EPortJake
    EPortJake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Here are 2 recipes. The first can take a bit of effort but is really delicious. It is based on a BBC Food recipe altered to lower fat. The second one is a basic sauce recipe and is really simple to make but totally awesome.

Low-Fat Malay Korma

For the Malaysian curry powder
    10 cloves
    10 black peppercorns
    4 cardamom pods
    1 cinnamon stick
    4 dried red chillies
    4 tbsp coriander seeds
    2 tbsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp fennel seeds
    1 star anise
    1 tsp turmeric powder
    For the Malay korma
    1 tbsp vegetable oil.
    340g turkey breast, cut into 5cm/2in cubes
    2 onions, peeled, thinly sliced
    1cm/½in root ginger, peeled, grated
    1 clove garlic, peeled, crushed
    1½ tbsp Malaysian curry powder (see above)
    1 tsp chilli powder
    salt
    ½ tsp saffron strands, soaked in 50ml/2fl oz warm water
    40g cashew nuts, blended to a paste with 2 tbsp water
    1 cinnamon stick
    150ml low fat yoghurt
    2 tomatoes, cut into quarters
    To serve
    2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves

For the Malaysian curry powder, toast all of the spices, except the turmeric, in a dry frying pan, for 30 seconds-1 minute, or until they become fragrant. Set aside to cool slightly.

Grind the toasted spices (not the stick or star anise) and turmeric to a powder using a pestle and mortar.

For the Malay korma, heat one tablespoon of oil in a lidded wok, add the turkey, in batches if necessary, and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, or until browned all over. Add the onion, ginger, garlic, 1 ½ tablespoons of the Malaysian curry powder and all of the chilli powder for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant (NB: Do not let the mixture burn).

Stir in the saffron strands and soaking water, cashew nut paste, cinnamon stick, then pour in 250ml of water. Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover the wok with the lid and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 mins. (You may need to add more water if the mixture begins to dry out.)

Stir in the yoghurt and tomatoes and return the mixture to a simmer for 1-2 minutes. Season well with salt.

Serves 4.

299 calories/serving.

I had it with 40g (dry weight) of brown basmati bringing it to around 450 calories.

Madras Sauce (add veg or meat as required).

1 tbsp Veg Oil
    2 Large Onions
    1 tsp Garlic
    1 tsp Ginger
    1 tsp Ground Turmeric
    1 tsp Ground Coriander
    2 tsp Ground Cumin
    1tsp garam masala
    5 large on the vine Tomatoes

Fry the onion over a medium heat until lightly browned, then lower the heat and add the ginger and garlic and fry for a couple on mins. Add the ground coriander, turmeric and cumin and fry for a minute. Put the spicy onion mixture in a blender along with the chopped tomatoes and chillies and blend until smooth. Return it back to the pan and add any meat or veg and simmer uncovered. Add water if it becomes too dry. Add the garam masal and chopped coriander 5 mins from the end of cooking. Season well and enjoy!

1 serving of sauce is around 120 calories, so with a chicken thigh, some peppers, and some brown rice you are probably looking at around 400 calories tops.
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    bump for good recipies
  • HealthyShazza
    Options
    Bump....love Indian food
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Heyy i am indian too but i guess there are more than enough yummy recipe's here already so i will let u try them out first...gonna go get a samosa now from a nearby shop..anyone want some ? :P
  • LivingInPuglia
    LivingInPuglia Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump

going to try all these!
  • KrisThomas1964
    Options
    340 Calories
    Serves 4
    Chicken and potato curry

slimming-worlds-spicy-chicken-spinach-and-potato-curry.jpg

Ingredients
    1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
    794g (1lb 12oz) skinless and boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
    4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large bite-sized pieces
    170g (6oz) baby leaf spinach, roughly chopped
    2tbsp medium or hot curry powder
    400g can chopped tomatoes
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    A large handful of chopped coriander and mint leaves

Method
    Place a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. When hot add the onion, chicken, potatoes, spinach and curry powder, stir to mix well. Stir-fry for 2-3 mins.
    Add the chopped tomatoes and 397ml (14fl oz) of water and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 25-30 mins, or until the chicken and potatoes are cooked through and tender.
    Remove from the heat and season well with salt and black pepper. Stir in the chopped herbs and serve immediately.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Bump - these sound great!
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Indian Fare Hits That Satisfy Note in me! :flowerforyou:
  • Lilflowr
    Lilflowr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I have a few fat free Indian cookbooks on my kindle. I am always looking for Indian recipes. Anything by Sandeev Kapoor is great. He is a master Indian chef imho.