PMS.. 2weeks early each month -_-

Options
So every months, 2 weeks before my period even starts, my savage cravings of red meat, ice cream, and chocolate destroy everything I've built. Not to mention the extreme fatigue, and horrible cramps. Leaving about a week of "normal" diet brain.

How can I ever get something going with this blocking my way..

Replies

• llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Really no one else goes through this?
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Poor you, I have no idea what your cycle is like but could it be around ovulation, I def get PMS symptoms at around this time, maybe try going to the dr and getting a chek up as it maybe a hormone imbalance
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    I never thought of that.. been waiting for health insurance to kick in from my new job. Haven't had it since 17 ):
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Yaaa, I would definitely go to the Dr. 2 weeks is a long time and maybe the Dr. can get you started on something to help regulate you.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    I was always the girl in high school saying na na na na boo boo I never have cramps!

And at 23.. it feels like the Devil himself is gripping my ovaries.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    are you going through that now? you gave 6 minutes for someone to answer at 2am (my time) at night... impatient much? lol.....

try taking something like midol for starters. if that doesnt work, even melatonin in small doses can help. while it can be used as a sleep aid, its a relaxing medication, and wont exactly make you "sleepy" unless you lay down and close your eyes. You can mess with the dosing as its all natural. My daughter was on it for her cycle and the doctor had her on 5 pills at the age of 11. She did take them at night, which helped her sleep, but it helped her cycle also. Are you on any form of birth control? this may or may not effect it also.

there are natural vitamins that can help with this also. at the pharmacy yesterday, i saw one that you could take called period stress reliever. it was all natural as well. check at your vitamin shoppe. they can help you.

if you are looking for a "whole food" vitamin (google this if you dont know what it is) then look into a company called shaklee (no i dont sell it, so dont go getting all report happy...) its avery reputable company for a high end vitamin.

Good luck to you.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I go through the same thing. I have some of your symptoms for 2 weeks before my period. Increased appetite, craving sugar or salty food. Bloating, cramps etc. It is not an hormonal imbalance or something. It's just our nature. As I have my period, the symptoms go away. Some months I am doing better than the others. Curb your appetite with healthy food. Try to stay away from stress and caffeine. EXERCISE. Working out really helps a lot. Take a multivitamin daily. Get a 8 hour sleep. Take special care of yourself during PMS. I dont think there is much to do about it.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    I do realize I was being a bit impatient haha. working overnight at a quiet office doesn't help (: bit lonely

Thank you for your suggestions

Unfortunately it's quite hard to not use caffeine when I have 2 overnight shifts a week, being used to 3 regular shifts the other days. Wacky schedule.

Not on any birth control, like I said waiting for insurance

Is this Melatonin OTC?
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It might be worth asking your doctor about the Merina IUD which is a form of implanted birth control, but which was originally developed for those who experience debilitating periods. I've had one for over two years now. I used to have to stay home at least one day a month for cramps and feeling awful, but since I've had the IUD I've essentially stopped getting my period, no bloating, no cramps, no PMS. It's probably one of the best things I've ever done.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    It might be worth asking your doctor about the Merina IUD which is a form of implanted birth control, but which was originally developed for those who experience debilitating periods. I've had one for over two years now. I used to have to stay home at least one day a month for cramps and feeling awful, but since I've had the IUD I've essentially stopped getting my period, no bloating, no cramps, no PMS. It's probably one of the best things I've ever done.
    I do have problems with all of that.
    how long is it effective and do you feel it?
  • marisablakley
    marisablakley Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Omg .... this happens to me every month and it started happening yesterday. I friggin HATE it because no matter what i feel like i can not get enough food.....it lasts a minimum of two weeks, but sometimes my periods are irregular and it can last for over a month. I actually look forward to my period so i can lose some dang weight.
  • 4manda76
    4manda76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Like you when I was younger never suffered at all hit my late twenties and everything changed, became mega heavy cramp & cravings. Couple of years ago had to have a ovary and tube removed well this made it even worse and irregular :( A couple of months ago decided to have the implant now I have no periods or pain but still have the cravings when it would normally be TOM. Which I need to get my head round and get under some control! Good in finding what works for you!
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Can't get the silly quote thing to work (: Response to OP:

I was told it lasts for 5 to 7 years; Planned Parenthood's website says up to 12 years. You can't feel it. It hurts a little when it is inserted and you have cramps for one or two days afterwards. You can get it removed at any point and you are immediately able to get pregnant (unlike coming off the pill or other forms of birth control).