Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Learn To Say NO!!!

Do you have trouble turning down another serving of deep fried chicken or other bad for you food? Here are some polite-yet firm responses to the persuasive entreaty, " Have some more.......I made it just for you!"
1.) " No, Thank you"
2.) "I'm Full"
3.) "I appreciate all your effort, and I've enjoyed every bite"
4.) "If you want me to have more, please let me take it home"

Many times if you continue to say "No" the person doing the coaxing loses their power over you. Another trick to save calories is to leave something on your plate, no one believes you're full with an empty plate.
Best of luck with your weight loss journey.

Replies

• juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    I think when I have the hardest time is when someone brings somthing to me to be nice. Like coffee and candy after a long day. They know I have had a long day and are trying to be nice. How do you say no to that?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    No.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Just sip a little of the coffee or take a bite of the cookie...thank them profusely.
  • This is my trouble I just can't say no. I'll be having a good day sticking to my calorie goal then my mum or dad will offer me something totally unhealthy and I just can't say no. I need some will power for sure
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    I usually just say "Id love some, but better not".....Ive never had anyone force the issue
  • With the holidays coming up and knowing certain family members are going to be seriously pushing bad foods on me, I'm considering saying, "What are you doing? Trying to kill me? Don't you want me around?"
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    With the holidays coming up and knowing certain family members are going to be seriously pushing bad foods on me, I'm considering saying, "What are you doing? Trying to kill me? Don't you want me around?"

Best response I've heard so far!

...as for the coffee/cookie, if you really feel the need to turn it down, bite the cookie first then sip the entire coffee slowly. That shows your friend you appreciate both, and liquid calories are probably in this case better if you're trying to hold off.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    At work they constantly ask "are you sure?" "ohhh come on Mel, live a little"... I hate that... so I get up and I leave the room quietly.

It takes them about 15 minutes to realize Im gone... and when they come to my desk seeing me back to work, asking "why arent you joining in with us?"

I tell her bluntly - I dont feel like satisfying the needs of people who ties their self-worth into the food they bring everytime I say no. And if you keep pushing it, Im gonna leave. I dont have to put up with any of that and Im not going to deal with it.

Ive left my mother's house over the same damn thing. Take the first no-thank you as a firm and definitive answer and be respectful.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I think when I have the hardest time is when someone brings somthing to me to be nice. Like coffee and candy after a long day. They know I have had a long day and are trying to be nice. How do you say no to that?

You don't.

You smile, say thank you, and accept the gift.

Nothing says you have to eat it right then and there, but you could choose to eat it at a later point.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    My problem isn't saying NO. My problem is people not listening to NO or any other phrase mentioned (or similar). So I wind up getting mad because I have to say NO in some way at least 10 times and then I wind up chewing them out because they don't listen and then I feel bad and they think I'm grumpy.
  • I have this problem too! Just this week my niece made cupcakes for the people that helped her with a project for school. Could I say you're welcome and NOT eat the cupcakes? NOPE I had not one but two :(
  • anrev42
    anrev42 Posts: 331
    I say to my friends...

No damn it....No means NO! LOL!
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Thanks for this!!
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    I have a customer at work who sometimes brings me in things: cookies, slices of cake. I take them, thank them and say I'll have it after my lunch.... and then leave it for one of my colleagues.
  • Starbuck2020
    Starbuck2020 Posts: 173 Member
    I wish someone would try to give me food. That stuff is expensive.
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    I have a customer at work who sometimes brings me in things: cookies, slices of cake. I take them, thank them and say I'll have it after my lunch.... and then leave it for one of my colleagues.

This^^

With the exception of people that don't know me well, all of my friends and family know that I am working very hard. In fact, I was invited over for dinner last weekend and in advance my friends asked me what types of foods I could eat because they wanted to make sure there were plenty of things there for me to choose from. I have been very fortunate to have an amazing support system around me both at home and at work.