Healthy lunchbox ideas?

Options
Going back to school on Monday :l
Any ideas of snacks and lunches that I can take with me?

Replies

• taco_hoe
    Options
    I've taken things like rice and stir-fried vegies before. It's tastes fine cold, just make sure you have an ice-pack to keep it cool. :) Salads are good too.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    For snacks I bring ryvita or ricacakes, yoghurt pots, small pieces of cheese, fruit, trailmix. For lunch I bring a thermos with soup or stew/similar liquid based item that keeps heat well.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • purplepiggy1
    Options
    Depending on where u live u may be able to get 'helgas sanwhich thins' these low cal yummy thin bread.
    For snacks apples are really low cal and I usually have done trail mix or WW bar or crackers :)
  • Landiecat
    Options
    Anything you can keep fresh!
    Fruits are always the best snacks for me. So maybe a sliced up apple with some cinnamon sprinkled on it?
    Or some grapes, or a banana? An orange?

if you can't keep anything cold, nuts are awesome (just not too many). I'm talking almonds, walnuts, pistachios, etc. They fill you up. As does some whole grain bread/crackers (w/ some natural cheese, natural fruit preserves, or natural peanut butter?), the ones that generally have a good amount of fiber in them.

Another thing to do - I love making my own trail mix. Measure out 2-3 nuts/seeds, some raisins or other dried fruit (watch the sugar on these), and maybe even add a little sweet tooth treat like chocolate chips.

Don't forget you can do wonderful, glorious things with sandwiches and make them extra filling.
  • fthoodbaby
    fthoodbaby Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My current fave is a peanutbutter, banana and granola wrap. I slice the bananas and sprinke w/lemon juice to prevent browning before putting them into the wrap. Sometimes I have it for breakfast, sometimes lunch. And if it's a day I know I am going to run after work, I bring it for a pre-workout snack.
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of big salads--I find that they are easiest for me. I like spinach, dried cherries, blue cheese, and vinegrette; romaine, chicken, black beans, tortilla strips, and mango vinegrette; mixed greens, chicken, cranberries, and cranberry walnut vinegrette.

I also like the Ziplock containers that have 3 compartments (not sure if you can get them outside the US) . I put a sandwich in one part, fruit in another and yogurt in another. I like hummus wraps (wrap, hummus, tons of veggies) and a salad. Sliced apple, peanut butter, and cheese stick. Homemade tuna salad, crackers, and carrots. Homemade egg salad, crackers and carrots. Cottage cheese, pineapple, wheat germ, and red peppers.
  • Clairekny
    Options
    I know it's been said already but I have to second trailmix. Definitely the easiest snack to bring along for a day of school. I am also a big leftovers person so I often bring cold dinner from the night before (granted it can be eaten cold).

I'm vegan, so instead of yogurt I eat almond yogurt. It's expensive so I don't get to eat it too often but I love to take it as a school snack.
  • SummerBaby93
    Options
    Fruit bags
    Packets of dried fruit
    Small boxes of unflavoured cereal - great for mid-day munchies!
    Tuna (minus heavy dressings) on wholemeal
    Trail mix, pretzels - that kind of thing
    Yoghurts
    Prepared veg - carrots sticks, celery sticks spinach, beets
    Nuts
    Wholegrain crackers/biscuits
    Pasta salads

Anything really. :)