Shoulder clicking

Options
Fozzi43
Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
When doing front raises with hand weights my left shoulder clicks when my arm comes up?
What is causing that? My other shoulder doesn't do it?

Replies

• VinoFonseca
    VinoFonseca Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Don't know, but my right shoulder does it. I am right hand dominate and wonder if it might be a result of sitting st a desk all day with a lot of computer work?
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Are you left handed? My left shoulder also does this, and I'm left handed.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    No I'm right handed?
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My educated guess would be that it's just how your joint or cartilage has formed from repeated use. My joints all click or pop after I did the same/similar workout routine warm-ups for a while.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt when it clicks? If so, then definitely get it checked out if you can. A clicking sound is generally not normal and if there is pain, then something is wrong. definitely better off getting it checked out- a hurt shoulder tends to stay a hurt shoulder unless fixed promptly.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You might need to strengthen your shoulder muscles - I had this but do wall walks and towel pulls and a few other exercises to strengthen and it has helped a lot.

Google shoulder rehab..

There is a great book but I can't find mine - black cover is all I can tell you.

Edit: found it - rotator cuff - http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Own-Rotator-Cuff/dp/1598582062/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349519317&sr=8-1&keywords=Rotator+cuff
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I have no pain at all when it clicks? Just clicks just at the point where my arm is level with my shoulder?
  • opuntia
    Options
    Are you hypermobile? I'm hypermobile, and I've been told this is why quite a few of my joints click - and as someone else said, it's important to build muscle to control the movements you make, so you're not hyper extending. Best to see a doctor though - because I imagine there could be all sorts of reasons for a clicking joint.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    Are you hypermobile? I'm hypermobile, and I've been told this is why quite a few of my joints click - and as someone else said, it's important to build muscle to control the movements you make, so you're not hyper extending. Best to see a doctor though - because I imagine there could be all sorts of reasons for a clicking joint.

What is hyper mobile ? :embarassed:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    maybe warm up those muscles a little more, mine would click if i don't
  • fofipps
    fofipps Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had an injury to your shoulder? Mine clicks like crazy, and the doctor said it's scar tissue.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    Nope, no injury at all? I'm just perplexed to why it does it only on one shoulder?
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    interesting thread. My left shoulder clicks too and im right handed.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm hypermobile (loose-jointed, double-jointed, whatever you want to call it) and I snap, crackle and pop like a bowl of Rice Crispies. No pain, just clicking.

I used to have problems with various body parts popping out of joint, which was quite painful, but since I started lifting, no problems at all, except occasionally in my jaw... which isn't one of the muscle groups I use when lifting. :wink:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    My educated guess would be that it's just how your joint or cartilage has formed from repeated use. My joints all click or pop after I did the same/similar workout routine warm-ups for a while.

Ding ding ding. No pain means NBD
  • WillUAre
    WillUAre Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Mine are my hips click. It doesn't hurt.

I went to see doctor a looooong time ago, doctor doesn't know why.

Someone said. To build the muscle. What kind of hip muscles can I build?
  • opuntia
    Options

What is hyper mobile ? :embarassed:

It means you're more flexible than normal. For instance, if you can bend forward and put the palms of your hands on the floor without bending your legs. It can cause clicking because you are stretching joints further than they are supposed to go. You can test if you are hypermobile here: http://www.hypermobility.org/beighton.php
  • charl_hcafc
    Options
    I click loads when I'm at the gym! Usually my ankles when I'm doing squats, but my hips and elbows click too.
    Doesn't hurt, it's just annoying! I'd like to know why it occurs as well.
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had a shoulder that did this my entire life. I was at a routine chiropractor visit, my regular chiro was out and he had a student in who gave me a full body overhaul. He noticed my shoulder was clicking (something I never thought to mention before because it doesn't hurt and never bothered me), and gave it a slight adjustment and the clicking is GONE! So, from my experience, I'd suggest mentioning to your chiropractor if you have one and see if they can fix it if it bothers you.
  • skalante
    skalante Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm hypermobile (loose-jointed, double-jointed, whatever you want to call it) and I snap, crackle and pop like a bowl of Rice Crispies. No pain, just clicking.

that's exactly what happens to me every day.