Help!!....daily calories

Options
Any 5ft, 205lbs, women out with light to moderate activity that can advise on calorie consumption for weight loss? Or anyone who can help regardless?

MFP sets me at 1200 but it's just too little with how busy and demanding my job is! Just recently a trainee gym instructor and struggling with weight loss when I can be limited on regular exercise....what a complete contradiction!!

Replies

• natwilson76
    Options
    My suggestion is to have bigger meals containing more calories earlier in the day so you can burn those calories throughout the day and try eating lighter meals of a night time...as the old saying goes eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. :happy: good luck with it
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    MFP's recommendations are crap. Calculate BMR and low ball your BEE until you figure out maintenance surrounding your job. You could swing 1200 for a little while for the initial shock but its too low to keep long term.

Meal frequency/size doesn't matter - just reach your macros for the day.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Use a BMR/ TDEE calculator!

I usse the one at http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

then set your calorie goal at 20% less than your TDEE number
  • midigoog
    Options
    Hey

I'm 5 ft 3 1/2 .. the half inch is important.

i started off at 280 lbs, have hardly any regualr exercise becuase of my busy job

MFP set me 1560 calories per day which i've stuck to as rigidly as i can.

I've lost 31 lbs in about 6 months .. so i'm happy that MPF got it right on this occasion. its not too hard to stick to this, I've just cut out all the crap and concertrated on eating more fruit and vegetables

I'd whole heartedly support the guy who told you to check out your BMR and then set your calories accordingly .. but if you cant be arsed .. try raising your calories to about 1500
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

All you need to know to find your BMR and your TDEE so you can base your daily calories on 20% cut from your TDEE

give me a shout if you want a double check on your numbers.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I agree. Figure out your BMR & TDEE. Eat at 15-20% below TDEE.

Meal size & frequency is irrelevant to weight loss as long as your within your calories.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

All you need to know to find your BMR and your TDEE so you can base your daily calories on 20% cut from your TDEE

give me a shout if you want a double check on your numbers.

I agree whole-heartedly.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    How on earth did mfp come up with 1200kcal? That sounds, frankly, ridiculous for someone your weight.

If I was starting out with mfp again i'd try out my mfp maintenance calories and see how I did with them (I would have lost over 1lb a week!) and move up or down accordingly. None of the calculators are foolproof, so there is always an element of trial and error.