Reflections on 50 down, 200 to go

Options
I find myself in a rather odd position this morning. I have lost 50 pounds using MFP in about 10 weeks. And I also have approximately 200 more pounds to lose. Do I focus on the accomplishment of losing an entire first grader? Or do I focus on the incredible challenge of still having to lose an entire husky undergraduate?

Since my weight has flirted with the 50 mark for several days, I have had the opportunity to do a bit of soul searching and reading. Oddly enough, I found the answer on my own profile. That's where I tell the world (and myself) that I do not know how to lose over 250 pounds. But I do know how to lose 1 pound. With my very next good eating choice, and my very next opportunity to exercise. And if I can do that once, and now, over 50 times, I know I can do it over 250 times, total.

I will take my lesson from mountain climbers. People who have scaled mountains (and that very definitely does NOT include me, thankewverymuch), know that when you are 3,000 feet above the ground, you do not think about your coming ascent at the 8,000 foot level. You remember the lessons you learned from the very LAST step that you took, and you focus on the challenges of the very NEXT step you are going to take. Anything more or less than that is a recipe (sorry for the unintended pun, folks) for disaster.

And so, on this special morning, I now know how film director, Peter Jackson felt in 2002. That is the year he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Director for the first Lord of the Rings movie, while he was still in the process of directing the second and third Lord of the Rings movies. As I sit here basking in the mini-glory of 50 pounds, I am already planning today's morning meal and exercise so that I have a good start on reaching the 100 pound loss mini-summit in February or March of 2013.

To sum it up, reaching the 50 pound mark is: (1) a reminder that I am right in my strategy, and (2) a recognition that I DO have the willpower, self-respect, and determination to see this through. Those two things, coupled with the unwavering support and affection of my friends on MFP, and Mrs. TheFirstThird, have helped me to reach this mini-summit, on my way to my ultimate goal of losing more than 250 pounds.

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    You have been an inspiration since you joined Scott. Your humor and dedication are amazing and I KNOW you will be successful. Keep it up sir! 50 lbs is an AMAZING achievement!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Good job, Scott. Keep it up.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this reflection. It is great to read (none the least because of your entertaining style) but more importantly, it is very inspiring. Well done on reaching the 50 mark, that is utterly amazing! In terms of climbing mountains, you are well under way to reach the summit! Greetings to Mrs TheFirstThird! :-)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Keep going Scott! thanks for sharing your journey with us, I also enjoy and am inspired by your posts.
  • dmh0204
    dmh0204 Posts: 81
    Options
    I am so proud to have you as my MFP friend. I thoroughly enjoy your posts and admire your dedication. You're doing an amazing job, and I will be around when you hit the 100 pound mark!
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 50 pounds - that is alot of hard work! And it sounds like you already know how to finish the plan and make your ultimate goal. Keep up the good work and you will find the success you desire!
  • michigangirl75
    michigangirl75 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    WTG!! And you CAN DO IT!!! I enjoy reading your postings! Your joke about the penguin cracked me up! Keep up the Awesome Work!!
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    Awesome for you Guy..... <3 Congrats. <3
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You are doing remarkably well, and motivate the rest of us to keep pushing forward. Congratulations!
  • meghangg
    meghangg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    many congratulations on the first 50. thanks for sharing your story, i found it very inspirational. i'd like to add you as a friend, hope you'll accept.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Nice! Thank you for that inspiration. So well said: I don't know how to lose 250 pounds, but I **do** know how to lose one." I'll have to remember that one. So true.
  • segula
    segula Posts: 6
    Options
    congratulations on your victory. I am down 125 pounds and still have 90 to lose. I have just picked up on this site after about a year of staying at this level. I am seeing some visual results but have not weighed in yet. I will weigh on Mondays. thank you for your words you have inspired me.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration, Scott, well done!
  • lmjonesga
    lmjonesga Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What a fabulous accomplishment. Thanks for encouraging us along the way. I hope and pray we do the same for you! ;)
  • nsdjogger
    Options
    Bravo!!!!! What wonderful perspective, thank you.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You are so inspiring. I needed to read this today, thank you.
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm SO proud of you and having you as my MFP friends keeps me going! I appreciate your reminder to stay positive and continue to look ahead.. As my mom always says "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." I feel like I'm struggling right now... but looking at the big picture - I've lost 22.2 lbs and I've made wonderful changes and choices. I just need to keep on keeping on. I know I'm going to be successful...especially with people like you on my side!
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I love reading your updates, Scott. Here's to the next 50, and then the next, and so on. :drinker:
  • mylove0mylife
    Options
    Loved this! Congrats on losing 50 lbs, and reminding us to look at what you achieved not what you still have to do.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Did you say mini and 50 lbs in the same phrase? To me that is beyond miraculous. I am just grateful to lose 5.