I have to worlds LARGEST calves!!

Options
I desperately would love to own a pair of boots for this coming up winter. However I can not fit a pair over my extremely wide calves. Even when I was thinner I still had this problem its so annoying. Does any have any exercises or tips for thinner calves?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    There really isn't anything you can do other than reduce body fat. As crazy as it sounds, lifting will probably get your legs to get somewhat leaner. You can buy boots that are for a larger calf you probably will have to order them or go somewhere expensive though!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have the saaaaame problem, only genetics are partially the culprit. Damn filipina legs. I have heard that jogging alot can whittle down leg muscle? Don't take my word, tho. Just a tidbit I heard somewhere..
  • jodidlyO
    Options
    Why not make the most of them and wear heels? I would love to have bigger calves - they look HOT in heels!!

xx
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    take them to a shoe repair shop and they can easily add in discrete extenders. i've always had to do that with my boots. it's usually about $20 -$30
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Me too - for the first ime this winter I actually found boots made for "athletic calves" - that was actually written on the label :-)

So sorry - no tricks to reduce them - but there are boots out there for girls that can kick start boeings.....
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    No idea where you live/your shoe size but there are lots of stores that have boots for bigger calves. I only know a few but:

USA:
    Lane Bryant
    Torrid

Canada:
    Addition Elle
    Penningtons

UK:
    BHS

I know that isn't a fitness related answer but...yeah.
  • Sammibullellu
    Options
    You know you have big calves when people are always asking you.. 'do you run' or 'do you cycle a lot'.. I DO NEITHER and have big calves.. like one of the other ladies said.. Wear high heels.. nothing we can do except make them look shapely.. AND I have found boots that go around them. I think the manufacturers are finally making some boots with larger tops.:happy: :happy: :happy:
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    same here... I hate them!, thats why I HATE wearing skirts/dresses, and honestly , one of the reasons I dont like using heels, I feel they look bigger that way. UGH
  • tusker
    tusker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have large calves and even when I was slim same problem, the onply place I can find boots is Evans store. This is in the uk not sure where you live hope it helps x
  • Rosal1e
    Options
    Mee too!. Massive with the extra weight but even when I was a slim size 10 I still had trouble.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Its muscles and only way to make them disappear is to stop using your legs. Buy yourself a wheelchair and you will soon start to see results as the muscletissue will disappear.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have thick calves and I have come to accept that there is not much I can do about it. I found that running has made them a bit smaller (as strange as that sounds) but I honestly think it is just the way my body is, no matter what my weight. I am at a healthy weight and my calves are still thick!
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel your pain!! About 12 years ago when I was at my skinniest (size 8-10) and looked almost ill, I tried to buy myself a pair of boots. Couldn't get my calves even into a wide-fit, boohoo! I blame riding a stubborn lazy Dobbin when I was growing up, an my genetics! A couple of years ago however, when I was a lot thinner than I am now, I managed to squeeze into a pair of wide-calf boots from Clarks (UK) and just LOVED them. I am currently living somewhere warm so haven't even bothered digging them out of the wardrobe to try on this year. Maybe in a few months...
  • fthoodbaby
    fthoodbaby Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with boots, too. Even before I started running 5 years ago. And ankle braclets -- they are never big enough. I have found some boots in regular stores at the mall though -- but yes I try on several pair just to find a pair that will fit. Western stores have a more limited selection if you want something that isn't the "cowboy" look but I can almost always find boots there. Last week I even found some at Kmart, of all places. I haven't wore them yet so I don't know how comfy they will be though. Also, maybe you could find some of the ones that lace up? Those work for me becuase I can loosen up the laces.
  • JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I hate that! I have the same problem but I just got a pair of boots from Kohls, I think Aerosoles. They have 2 zippers. One is to expand the boot about an inch! Love them :)
  • ginnhart
    Options
    I have the same problem...even though I'm half Filipina :)
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you are in th UK try here...

http://www.duoboots.com/

They sell in different calf widths
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have thick calves and I have come to accept that there is not much I can do about it. I found that running has made them a bit smaller (as strange as that sounds) but I honestly think it is just the way my body is, no matter what my weight. I am at a healthy weight and my calves are still thick!

Shucks! I cannot tell you how depressing that is to me!! Actually, if something had to be genetically "thick" , I guess I'd rather have it be my calves than my waist. I always have one of those, and anyway,you can hide your calves under pants - haha! Boots are tough for me too. I'm going to check out some of these good suggestions.
  • futuregill
    futuregill Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Well thanks Ladies for the info I guess I'm just going to have to shop around for extra wide boots for my extra wide calves :(
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My calves have "thinned out" some with weight loss. I went from an 18" calf to a 15" with 40+ weight loss. But I often still can't fit in normal boots.

Two sites that are helpful:

6pm.com
    zappos.com

Both sites list the exact circumference of the calf of the boot. So as long as you know the circumference of your calves, you can be reasonably sure that the boots will fit. I've had good luck with both. Search "wide calf boots."

Hope that helps!