Will using stevia mess up my weight loss?

Options
I haven't had coffee in months because I didn't know what to add to it. Now I've decided that I miss it terribly (I'm from a spanish background so we drink tons of cafe con leche) I know I can't drink all that sugar and honestly I can't really eat sweet things the way I used to be able to. They make me sick to my stomach. So adding real sugar or even organic raw sugar is not an option. I wanted to try truvia or stevia but I'm afraid it will mess up my weight loss. Any advice?

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Just make sure the product don't have maltodextrian in it. I like sweetleaf brand stevia.
  • jenna25
    jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have used stevia and almond milk in my iced coffee ever since i started losing weight! and i was able to lose 30 pounds! its a lot healthier than the other artificial sweeteners like splenda or sweet and low that have the aspartame and chemicals in them, that actually make you crave sugary foods!!! so i am all for stevia and use it every day :)
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia To Go. Its a liquid. It is Stevia Extract and gluten free.
  • skalante
    skalante Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i use truvia, so far hasn't stopped me from losing weight.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I use stevia in my coffee and so delicious dairy coffee creamer vanilla and Hazlenut made with coconut milk :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Actually the stevia plant has properties that help your body regulate glucose levels. If you aren't doing sugar, stevia is the best substitute. It will help, not hurt.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    On the surface, I'd say "no" - it shouldn't mess up your diet because it has like three calories per serving. Or maybe it was zero calories and three grams of carbs. Either way, you'd have to eat a TON of it to gain weight. Also, artificial sweeteners are usually more sweet than regular sugar; I used Truvia for a bit, so I know this applies to Truvia/stevia. You may be able to handle it better than sugar, but...you know, when you put it in your coffee for the first time, start with a small amount. If you used a teaspoon of sugar in your coffee before, don't pour a teaspoon of Truvia in. You can find a conversion from sugar to Truvia on Truvia's website which should help you gague how much you want.

If you're just looking for something to sweeten your coffee, it shouldn't be an issue. The only thing I could think of that might mess up your weight loss is if you try to bake with it. I tried it...I made banana muffins, which were pretty good, but they stuck to their wrappers, and the recipe came out different every time I made it. Anyway, if you use calorie-free sugar substitute as an excuse to start baking sweets or less healthy foods, then you may mess up your progress some because even if the sweetener has no calories, cakes and other sweets are still full of empty calories that add up quickly. That doesn't mean you can't use it to reduce the calories of your favorite dessert...just make sure you know how many calories are really in what you're eating, because even without real sugar, it may still have more calories than you expected.

I hope that helped! Good luck!

Edit - sorry, there was a typo!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Whoever needed an excuse to bake? Baking is my passion! :bigsmile:
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No..? Why would it?
  • GomesDavid
    Options

Truvia can help you stick to your diet by allowing you to eat sweet treats without cheating on your diet. Foods made with Truvia still have calories, so eat them only in moderation.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Actually the stevia plant has properties that help your body regulate glucose levels. If you aren't doing sugar, stevia is the best substitute. It will help, not hurt.
    You need to mention when in it's in natural form. 99% of the packaged stevia is mixed with maltodextrian. That means each packet spike blood sugar levels.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    You need to mention when in it's in natural form. 99% of the packaged stevia is mixed with maltodextrian. That means each packet spike blood sugar levels.

It doesn't spike my hubby's blood sugar and he uses the Truvia brand of it. He monitors his blood sugars closely. It could be that the "processed" version doesn't have the same medicinal properties as the whole plant. I will concede that. That happens with many plants. But I really don't think there's enough maltodextrin for a big spike. Hubby takes one in his coffee each morning, and he usually drinks about 6-7 cups. His has tested his sugar before and after and it has never went up from Truvia packets.
  • skalante
    skalante Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Truvia can help you stick to your diet by allowing you to eat sweet treats without cheating on your diet. Foods made with Truvia still have calories, so eat them only in moderation.

I only use one packet for coffee in the morning. Don't touch it again till the next day.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I use stevia baking blend and I'm still losing weight.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    No. It will not mess up your weight loss.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use a packet of truvia in my overnight oats each morning and have not seen a negative impact. For the record, looking at the packets I have in my desk, there is no maltodextrin listed in the ingredients.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I use a packet of truvia in my overnight oats each morning and have not seen a negative impact. For the record, looking at the packets I have in my desk, there is no maltodextrin listed in the ingredients.

I believe the one with maltodextrin is the stevia for baking. Truvia packets contain Erythritol (sugar alcohol) and rebiana (stevia extract). They basically pull just the sweet part of the plant and remove it from the bitter part. Erythritol is similar to xylitol. I think it's a great mix. It has zero calories and does not spike blood sugars, which makes it safe for diabetics.
  • Onefroggychick
    Onefroggychick Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My issues with Stevia and truvia is my husband and I have been using them in our ice teas. We've been very bound up. We have tried relief aids but still nothing much. Plus I've gained pounds. My eating hasn't changed. I quit mt. Dew to go to tea. Not much of a plain water drinker. Just getting frustrated and contemplating going back to sugar
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've used KAL pure stevia extract powder for years without any problems. Stevia is the only ingredient. Do be careful about added ingredients.

I also use SweetLeaf Sweet Drops flavored stevia on occasaion & have no problems with it.

Truvia is not stevia. It is an artificial sweetener.