Craziest interview stratege...that got you the job..

Options
Charlie003
Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
I actually did a Jerry Macguire. Help me help you. Lol. Hired me on the spot. It was managing the production of the Ec spy plane..

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    My current job right now... the day I was scheduled for an interview, we were having a snowstorm from hell. They called me and asked if the interview could be rescheduled as they didnt want me risking my safety.

I told them "Nooo, I am actually just parking my car right now in your parking lot - I left early enough to make sure I was safe and not be late for our meeting!"

Dead silence.... "you....what?"..

I said, "yes - Im actually right here... Im 30 minutes early intentionally - Im just having my coffee right now until I need to come in!"..

She was totally shocked!!!!!!! All of a sudden you see a bunch of people staring out the windows - and I waved to them.. They bust a gut laughing!!!!

The manager said "tell you what.. .why dont you come in and we can introduce you to everyone!"..

I had my interview with the Finance Officer. I immediately had my second interview with the Billing Manager. And, was offered the job within 48 hours. Why? Because I showed up in the middle of a snowstorm to be interviewed.... They know that they can depend on me to still come to work in the middle of a damn snowstorm! LOL!!!

Ive been there almost a year now!
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    That is awesome.
  • cramernh
    Options
    That is awesome.

The pay was even BETTER! LOL!!! Must have felt like "damn we gotta pay this woman for coming in with three feet of snow on the ground with a storm that wasnt done yet! LOL!"

Edit to include: I was hired as a certified advanced medical biller....
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I got locked out on my balcony once in a snow storm before an interview. I was minutes away from jumping off to go down to my unlocked front door and let myself back in when the apartment maintenance guy heard me calling for help. I don't know if it got me the job or not but I did tell the story because I was a few minutes late for the interview. I was offered the position but also a better one the same week!

Now...I have all kinds of other stories where I have done ridiculous things that ended up getting me something I wanted...
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    My current job right now... the day I was scheduled for an interview, we were having a snowstorm from hell. They called me and asked if the interview could be rescheduled as they didnt want me risking my safety.

I told them "Nooo, I am actually just parking my car right now in your parking lot - I left early enough to make sure I was safe and not be late for our meeting!"

Dead silence.... "you....what?".

I said, "yes - Im actually right here... Im 30 minutes early intentionally - Im just having my coffee right now until I need to come in!"..

She was totally shocked!!!!!!! All of a sudden you see a bunch of people staring out the windows - and I waved to them.. They bust a gut laughing!!!!

The manager said "tell you what.. .why dont you come in and we can introduce you to everyone!"..

I had my interview with the Finance Officer. I immediately had my second interview with the Billing Manager. And, was offered the job within 48 hours. Why? Because I showed up in the middle of a snowstorm to be interviewed.... They know that they can depend on me to still come to work in the middle of a damn snowstorm! LOL!!!

Damn, to bad it doesnt snow here. I have to wait for a tornado to hit to even try to do something like you did. lol.
  • cramernh
    Options

Dead silence.... "you....what?".

Damn, to bad it doesnt snow here. I have to wait for a tornado to hit to even try to do something like you did. lol.

TRUST me ... to work Monday through Friday with normal business hours, excellent pay and benefits, not to mention tons of freebies for employees, I wasnt letting snow get in my way... I never do... (I live in New Hampshire)
  • I had interviewed for two or three positions with this company that I had my heart set on working for. Each time I was a "finalist", but didn't get the offer. They said I was definitely a fit for the company - they just needed to find the right position (big, big company). So at the time of my next interview, I had a rotten cold - I felt miserable...I HAD to take some meds just to look like a human. I was so drugged up that I barely remember the interview....and of course, THAT'S the job I got!! Almost 13 years later, and I am still with the company. Moral of the story... I am apparently more impressive stoned off my *kitten*!!
  • emtb319
    emtb319 Posts: 87
    Options
    I walked in and the manager asked me if I was my mother's daughter. Told him yes, and he said that I could start the next day. No other questions asked. That was 8.5 years ago and I'm still here.
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    That is awesome.

The pay was even BETTER! LOL!!! Must have felt like "damn we gotta pay this woman for coming in with three feet of snow on the ground with a storm that wasnt done yet! LOL!"

Oy, hats off to you for doing that job! It pays awesome, but my god, I find it so boring! Even just the basics! lol
  • cramernh
    Options
    That is awesome.

Oy, hats off to you for doing that job! It pays awesome, but my god, I find it so boring! Even just the basics! lol

There is something so beautiful as to being a ***** on company time, to the insurance companies that mess with my surgical claims.... I have a clinical background - and I know how to prove medical necessity... and if level one and two dont want to play nice, Ill go all the way up to the damn reviewing judge myself.... and when that judge says "they didnt approve this?"... and the check gets cut... and bob's youre uncle, I have a very happy patient because all they had to pay was $100.00 coinsurance... THAT makes me a happy girl!~

LOL!!!!!!
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    That is awesome.

There is something so beautiful as to being a ***** on company time, to the insurance companies that mess with my surgical claims.... I have a clinical background - and I know how to prove medical necessity... and if level one and two dont want to play nice, Ill go all the way up to the damn reviewing judge myself.... and when that judge says "they didnt approve this?"... and the check gets cut... and bob's youre uncle, I have a very happy patient because all they had to pay was $100.00 coinsurance... THAT makes me a happy girl!~

LOL!!!!!!

Ahaha that is awesome! I really disliked my insurance billing and coding classes, I could NOT get it. I mean, I passed with an A, but it took some work. And my teacher, bless her heart, she tried so hard to make it interesting to us but didn't know how because she loves all of it and it's ALREADY interesting to her!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I say something like this:
    " I have a very diverse set of skills from my years of IT consulting... all walks of the System Development Life Cycle...like a Swiss Army knife...except a swiss army knife does a lot of things poorly... Let me change that last statement... I'm a tool box..."

For whatever reason, that helps them to remember me. That's right... I'm a tool.... wait, I'm a box of tools.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It's not crazy just a change of attitude as suggested by a manager I had at a job we were made redundant from;

"Go in there and tell them how awesome you are!"

And it works! I try not the think of an interview as a test, the people interviewing you need to hire someone they're not testing you. In my last interview (I got the job) when they asked what I could bring to the role I pretty much told them I was fabulous at it (which I am! Lol)....
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    When I was in my mid 20's (1986-ish) I was being interviewed by 2 40+ big haired blonde women. The interview lasted about half an hour. The last question they asked "So, after talking with you we can surmise that you are not a 'dumb blonde'". I reached up and patted my dark brown hair..."Nope, the dye is dry." I started that night.
  • Darcy011
    Darcy011 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Me and my wife had relocated to a new town for her work and we didn't know anyone or had any money for child care, so I took my son along who was a year and a half old:) nine years later I took over when the owner retired.
  • cramernh
    Options
    That is awesome.

LOL!!!!!!

Ahaha that is awesome! I really disliked my insurance billing and coding classes, I could NOT get it. I mean, I passed with an A, but it took some work. And my teacher, bless her heart, she tried so hard to make it interesting to us but didn't know how because she loves all of it and it's ALREADY interesting to her!

Was it the reality of how horrible the rules are for Modifier 22 truly is, or the fact when the insurance companies never get a Head Surgeon vs Assistant MD Surgeon done correctly? Or the fact Level 5 Consultations suck royal *kitten* because they automatically put the claim on hold to send a request for documentation and an LMN? That angers me to no avail! LOL!!!!